XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-23-2023, 09:11 AM   #1
GIzmoTheDude
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d 2012

Timing chain noise

Hello,

first post on the forum and sadly it has to be a question about the timing chain rattle. The car in questions is a 116d F20 2012, ive bought it 5/6 months ago and immediately changed all the filters and oil and i've been meaning to change the chain also before it starts making noise but just yesterday after work ive noticed that after starting the car the engine is noisier for about 20s then settles down.

After listening to the engine it sounds kinda rattly but im also not sure if thats just how it usually sounds or is it the chain. Ive called a couple of reputable mechanics but the nearest date i could take the car in is august and one of them also said the car is no where near the chain being a issue. Ill post a short video if anyone could help me out because ive been avoiding driving the car out of fear that the chain would snap. Thank you

​https://youtube.com/shorts/41-8FVakQ...share​​​
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 07:19 PM   #2
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Tough to tell. Sounds more like injectors to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 01:15 AM   #3
Concord Detailer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Hey, its unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Below I have mentioned some causes that you can find to fix it.

The most likely cause is a loose timing chain tensioner. The tensioner is responsible for keeping the chain properly tensioned, so if it's loose, the chain can rattle. Another possibility is that the chain itself is worn or damaged. If the chain is worn, it can stretch and cause rattling.

In some cases, the rattling noise can be caused by a problem with the engine's oil pump. The oil pump circulates oil throughout the engine, and if it's not working properly, it can cause the timing chain to become dry and noisy.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 07:51 PM   #4
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Those could be guides as well. Whatever that is if tensioner is accessible without engine removal I’d try that. If not you need to drop engine and do it the proper way with all, while you in there’s unfortunately. Without proper diagnostics it’s just guessing. If you have check engine you have to check for codes. If not you have to do this as well anyway. If there’s a chain slap there’s possibility that you will have codes for engine being out of time.
Appreciate 0