GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Longevity of stock rotors at the track

I am curious how long the stock rotors will hold up if used with with Padgid like track pads maybe 5 times a year, and OEM pads for daily driving. This would be for an intermediate driver. (1 min 48 sec Laguna Seca lap times).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
I am curious how long the stock rotors will hold up if used with with Padgid like track pads maybe 5 times a year, and OEM pads for daily driving. This would be for an intermediate driver. (1 min 48 sec Laguna Seca lap times).
You and I are pretty similar so maybe this helps. I'm at ~ 1:45 at Laguna and run stock rotors with Endless ME20 pads. After 6 track days (4 at Laguna and 2 at Thunder Hill), my pads are done and my rotors are starting to show their age (small cracks and just a hair under 29 mm). I feel comfortable with a few more track days with the rotors, but I'm starting to think about a BBK.

I should probably notr that I had roughly 23-25k miles on the car before tracking.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpday View Post
You and I are pretty similar so maybe this helps. I'm at ~ 1:45 at Laguna and run stock rotors with Endless ME20 pads. After 6 track days (4 at Laguna and 2 at Thunder Hill), my pads are done and my rotors are starting to show their age (small cracks and just a hair under 29 mm). I feel comfortable with a few more track days with the rotors, but I'm starting to think about a BBK.

I should probably notr that I had roughly 23-25k miles on the car before tracking.
In my case, I have worn out the OEM front pads with just Thunderhill and Laguna. The car is just under 30K miles. I just looked at the price of the stock rotors on ECS's website, and a full front/rear set can be had for just over a grand.

It might be more cost effective to just swap brake pads before the track days, and replace OEM rotors once in a while. BBK is some serious cash, and two front stoptech rotors are a grand. You can almost get two pairs of OEMs for the same price. Would BBK rotors last longer than two pairs of OEM rotors, to make things more cost effective?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
In my case, I have worn out the OEM front pads with just Thunderhill and Laguna. The car is just under 30K miles. I just looked at the price of the stock rotors on ECS's website, and a full front/rear set can be had for just over a grand.

It might be more cost effective to just swap brake pads before the track days, and replace OEM rotors once in a while. BBK is some serious cash, and two front stoptech rotors are a grand. You can almost get two pairs of OEMs for the same price. Would BBK rotors last longer than two pairs of OEM rotors, to make things more cost effective?
An example BBK that seems to last a while at the track is the Brembo GT with the Type 3 rotors and Re-10 pads.

One drawback is the dust boots will crack and wear, but they aren’t really needed anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Warren-RB
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
An example BBK that seems to last a while at the track is the Brembo GT with the Type 3 rotors and Re-10 pads.

One drawback is the dust boots will crack and wear, but they aren’t really needed anyways.
High temperature (Blue) dust boots can solve cracking issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13039403

Appreciate 0