XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

Thumbs up BMW X1 Tops Audi Q5 As Top Selling Premium SUV In Europe

Reported on BIMMERPOST HOMEPAGE.

BMW's X1 has been an undisputed hit in Europe so far. The X1 now tops the premium SUV class after overtaking the Audi Q5 as the top selling premium SUV for the first half of 2010 after selling 55,550 units through July. The X1 will arrive in US showrooms by Spring 2011.

BMW sold 11,483 X1s in July 2010 alone.

Here are the Europe's top-selling premium SUVs from Jan. - June 2010

1. BMW X1 - 44,067
2. Audi Q5 - 43,660
3. Volvo XC60 - 29,616
4. Land Rover Freelander - 20,138
5. BMW X5 - 16,565

Via Autonews:
Quote:
BMW AG has risen back to the top of the premium SUV segment with the launch of its new X1.

The smallest of BMW's four-model crossover lineup was designed to attract cost-conscious young buyers who want to be eco-friendly without sacrificing performance or the security of optional all-wheel drive.

The combination of those factors has led to high initial demand.

Through July, BMW has sold 55,550 X1s. Since its market launch in late-October 2009, more than 64,049 X1s have been sold, the company said.

The X1's strong debut made it Europe's first-half sales leader among all premium SUVs, according to UK-based market researcher JATO Dynamics, which does not yet have European sales data for January-July.

It should be noted that the X1 is the first car in what will become the premium small SUV segment. Along with being smaller, the X1 is at least 9,000 euros less expensive than the other premium SUVs in the segment. The X1, which starts at 27,200 euros (about $35,800) in Germany, will begin to get direct rivals soon. The Audi Q3 and Saab 9-4X are due to arrive in 2011. Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti also are expected to challenge the X1, which also will get competition from the Countryman made by sister brand Mini. The Countryman will go on sale in Europe in September with prices starting at 20,200 euros in Germany. U.S. sales begin in early 2011.

Key new model

At BMW, the X1 currently ranks fourth overall in the brand's European sales after the 3-, 1- and 5-series model lines. Globally, the X1 is BMW's No. 5-selling model, a ranking that should improve once U.S. sales start next year.

In terms of sales within its first nine months on the market, the X1 is doing even better than the larger, more expensive X3, which was introduced in January 2004 and quickly became Europe's top-selling premium SUV. The X3, which was Europe's first premium medium SUV, was tops in its segment until being dethroned last year by the Audi Q5, which is now No. 2 to the X1 JATO data shows.

When asked earlier this year where BMW is getting its X1 customers, BMW sales boss Ian Robertson said some are transitioning from the first-generation X3, which will be replaced by an all-new model starting in Europe in November and the United States before the end of this year.

"But there are a lot of new customers coming from near-premium brands because it is quite competitively priced," Robertson said about the X1.

When asked which near-premium brands he meant he confirmed it has been marques such as Saab and Lancia. He added that the X1 also is winning customers from top-of-the-range models from volume brands such as Ford and Volkswagen.

Key facts

Correction: The sDrive 18d emits 136 g/km of CO2

Name: BMW X1.

Launch date: Europe, November 2009; United States, 2011.

Main competitors: Audi Q3, Saab 9-4X (both due in 2011), Mini Countryman

Annual sales forecast: None given; through July 2010, 55,550

Where built: Leipzig, Germany.

Base price: 27,200 euros (about $35,800)

Cleanest model sDrive18d with 5.2 liters per 100km (45 U.S. mpg) and 136 g/km of CO2

The best bits: Fuel-saving technologies such as stop-start, brake energy regeneration, optimized aerodynamics and tires with low roll resistance; optional xDrive all-wheel-drive system that improves handling and performance in all weather conditions; optional high-beam assistant that automatically dims the headlights when the system detects another car is approaching from the opposite direction or when the X1 gets too close to the vehicle ahead.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0wWu6PFhz
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
      08-14-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
keanu1
tiamat

Drives: 525 d

Good for bmw!!! They are passing the crissis!!
keanu1 is offline   Romania
      08-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
X1FORME
Registered

Drives: X1 23d Jet Black also M3 E36

Cant wait for mine. Keep hearing all the good news but want to enjoy it also.
X1FORME is offline   Australia
      08-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
imposss
Lieutenant

Drives: F10 535i Msport

How much X1 will cost in states?
imposss is offline   Canada
      08-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict

Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
      08-14-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
Malbolge
Major General

Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si

Garage List
the moment bmw brings a cheapo-ish model, it kicks ass usually. Audi Q5 is a very expensive car in fact, so no wonder those who want a nice badge are switching over to the ugly-ih X1.
      08-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
vladberca
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt

With X3 and Mini Countryman, BMW will be the clear leader of the premium SUV segment
vladberca is offline   Romania
      08-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!

Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

I don't think the q5 is the main competitor for X1. Audi's upcoming q3 should be the car that should be compared to X1.

And the X3 should be compared to Q5.
      08-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
SCOTT26
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre

A decade of sales success : BMW X-series Vehicles.

When X5 was introduced in 1999 We went straight to the top of the segment.
By offering the more car-like Sport Activity Vehicle.
Customers appreciated that it's core BMW attributes were enhanced and kept intact by the introduction of the X5.

When we introduced X3 in 2003 We created a new segment for a premium medium class Sport Activity Vehicle. A car that sits below 700,000 units sold since introduction, and about to be replaced by the second generation X3.

In 2006 we introduced the second generation of X5 and inherited the E53 X5's crown at the top of the segment. In Late 2007 we introduced a new Concept to the Sport Activity field , an SAV with the appearance of a Coupe and the worlds first Sport Activity Coupe. The BMW X6.

Since the introduction of the X6, the original forcast of X6 sales was 40,000.
Today X6 sales have doubled that target thanks to it's blend of looks,performance and dynamism.
X6 sales continue with sheer growth in each quarter with other key markets proving more popular than existing target markets.

The success of the X6 led to the creation of the X6M mainly intended for developing premium markets both X5M and X6M have proved to be profitable for BMW's M Division.

The introduction of the X1 falls in line with BMW's current small,compact and D segment strategy. And is the first model to develop the 1er product portfolio further. The quest for an entry level Sport Activity Vehicle that enhanced the youthfulness of the 1 series in the solidity of a typical X vehicle, begun with another new segment for the premium market.
As X1 has brought customers from existing BMW products , X1 also has a higher amount of customers leaving other brands for the X1.
X1 has also reached it's target demographic and appealed to a younger customer base. Since it's November introduction to the market, BMW X1 has sold over 40,000 units , highly significant for a volume model ahead of a US introduction in the near future.

The second generation of X3 takes and progresses everything customers love about the E83. And reverse engineers everything they didn't .
New X3 brings a new fresher looking but taut exterior with an constantly improved and upgraded interior. Driving Dynamics improve to offer a more sporting drive and current technology signifies the X3 as a car of this era in fact then underpinnings are the first showing of the upcoming BMW 3er (F30).

And for the future?

BMW are keen to capitalize on the success of the X6 by offering a "downsized" version of the X6 Sport Activity Coupe Concept with an X4,
Designed in a similar concept to the X6 , BMW can make the X4 cost effectively by sharing underpinnings, interiors, engines, technology and manufacturing with the BMW X3.

With the BMW X3 about to be launched BMW will hold an establishment period of two years to determine if the second generation is a run-away success. And if so they are in the process of evaluating an X3 35iS using the same engine from the relevant Z435iS and US only 335iS. And an X3M using the powerplant from the upcoming 1M. No decision will be made until the car is deemed to have had a successful market integration and customer demand is evident.
      08-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
bavarian19
General

Drives: Car

bavarian19 is offline   United_States
      08-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
webroot
X1 since July

Drives: BMW X1

I wish everyone thought like "research" that says: "the moment bmw brings a cheapo-ish model... the ugly-ih X1."

That way, those who love the looks of the car like myself, would be a lot less. For me the quantity news isn't a good news... I wish they only sold 10 in Portugal... cause then mine would be 1 of 10, and not 1 of 1000.

I actually bought it thinking there wouldn't be many sold here... a little overpriced... some people find it ugly, so they will sell only a few... good! But no, after all in a few years they will be like the 3 series, all over the place... I can't even look at the 3 series anymore them they all look old design, washed out, thousands everywhere. So I'll probably sell mine sooner than I thought, maybe in 5 or 6 years, when they are a lot.

The trick is to not show the car live... because on pictures it really isn't that pretty compared to reality Hide everyone, hide your cars, BMW will stop selling, and stops production, everyone buys Q5 and Q3 and X3, and then we can go out again, with our limited edition X1... I wish.
webroot is offline   Portugal
      08-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
akhter
Major

Drives: F10 LCI 520i Sophisto Grey

Garage List
When I first saw pictures, I didn't like it too much, but once I saw it in person, I was sold. About the only thing yet to grow on me are the fog lamps up front. It atleast appears to be almost the same size as 1st gen X3 and the interior is very similar to the 1-series. The rear LED (??) lights are quite nice and X-line and rails make the car seem very upmarket.

The X3 seems a real step forward. I would have never bought the 1st X3, but I would have seriously considered the new X3 if it was available to order when I needed to order my car.

Last edited by akhter; 08-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.
      08-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Jason
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
When I first saw pictures, I didn't like it too much, but once I saw it in person, I was sold. About the only thing yet to grow on me are the fog lamps up front. It atleast appears to be almost the same size as 1st gen X3 and the interior is very similar to the 1-series. The rear LED (??) lights are quite nice and X-line and rails make the car seem very upmarket.
I felt the same exact way when I first saw it in person. I wasn't sold with the photos, but this is truly one of those guys that's much better in person than in 2d pics.

08-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
cukoodukoo
Private First Class

Drives: 135i

x1 ....
cukoodukoo is offline   United_States
      08-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
pico

Drives: 2008 Silber Grau X3 3.0si

I also didn't like it at first when I saw the initial studio pictures. I thought the proportions looked a little off, contours were overstylized, the front end seemed massive compared to the e83 X3. Then I saw it in person...it really does have a nice presence, the proportions seem just right. I really love the size. It seemed about the size of the previous generation Subaru Forester which I previously owned. Then I looked at the pictures again, and it looks really good now, especially in certain angles and I understand the design. It certainly takes some time to warm to but I think it's going to do really well.
pico is offline   United_States
      08-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #16
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 330xi, 335i

X1 size and performance make it a very attractive SUV. It is also likely that its sales will still grow - the reason is obvious.
      08-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The X1 will arrive in US showrooms by Spring 2011.
Good to know. I wonder which US auto show we can expect to see the car debut at? I am thinking LA or New York. 1M will be in Detroit, and I just don't see it coming in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
I don't think the q5 is the main competitor for X1. Audi's upcoming q3 should be the car that should be compared to X1.

And the X3 should be compared to Q5.
True, but no one was necessarily saying the two should be directly comparable per se, just that the X1 happens to have taken the sales lead. But yes, to some degree that should be expected due to its smaller size (with presumably better economy) and lower MSRP. Once the new Q3 debuts, we may see that take the lead back. Then again, the new X3 could pose yet another threat to the Audi pair as well.
      08-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
webroot
X1 since July

Drives: BMW X1

You guys didn't get it? Only the vomit comment guy got it! Common! X1 looks ugly remember? It really is a piece of shit that looks just wrong. We need to stop the selling, not enlarge it by saying it looks good.

I'm disappointed... I thought you got the limit edition theory

When I first noticed the X1's prototype matched exactly to the production car I thought > I have to have it! How many cars do you know that respected the designers to the inch? Every single line is there, and that means it was made from the clay model to please, to be a design sculpture, take the risk of the direct designers touch to the metal... usually the prototype is just a show-off-going-no-ware-great-ideas-to-the-trash sample that doesn't go past the first door in the maker's offices. Because of cost issues, extreme ideas that "might not" touch everyone's taste (most of the people's taste is just classic, reserved and skeptical > more of the same please kind of thing), so every time they make a car like this, most of the people don't like it... something is wrong (i'm sorry but I think is your taste that is just conservative and limited to what you know).

Have you noticed that most people ask (at least in Europe - example fifth gear about the X1) what is the use of an SUV or the X1... what is it for? How limited vision is that? Does a shape have to respond directly to a function? Can't the same function be dramatized or just taken differently, with a different experience and looks, and still be fully realized? From a 3 series van to an X1... the shape is different, but can't we experience the same functionality within a new package? Cause it isn't a JEEP nor a van, so we can't get out of the box, what is the use of new shapes and styles? Just keep drinking your coke from the glass bottle, forget the can! Who invented that? What for? Stop inventing stuff up, just keep driving the same shapes, the same boxes.

This leads me back to the limited edition theory... please ignore and forget the X1... the more people buy it, less especial it becomes... i want to keep looking at it and still find it as a different design, new angle solution for the same old necessity of traveling!

The fewer the better.
webroot is offline   Portugal
      08-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

With the BMW X3 about to be launched BMW will hold an establishment period of two years to determine if the second generation is a run-away success. And if so they are in the process of evaluating an X3 35iS using the same engine from the relevant Z435iS and US only 335iS. And an X3M using the powerplant from the upcoming 1M. No decision will be made until the car is deemed to have had a successful market integration and customer demand is evident.
Interesting information Scott. Cudos to you guys! Use this in your marketing perhaps . Audi seems to love the play the superior game... Certainly some ammo
      08-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
cstavaru
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

For all those who want one, I hope you test drove one...it has very nice power and handling, feels light, but it has weak brakes and a cheap interior.
      08-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire

Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I felt the same exact way when I first saw it in person. I wasn't sold with the photos, but this is truly one of those guys that's much better in person than in 2d pics.
Interesting that I liked the way it looks from the first pics I saw since we won't have the real thing stateside for at least 9 months or more. If what you guys say is true, I'm sold. (to the dismay of others who want to hold onto their exclusivity of a mass produced vehicle...)

STE92VE is offline   United_States
      08-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #22
Jason
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Interesting that I liked the way it looks from the first pics I saw since we won't have the real thing stateside for at least 9 months or more. If what you guys say is true, I'm sold. (to the dismay of others who want to hold onto their exclusivity of a mass produced vehicle...)
That's great to hear and probably means you won't be disappointed when you finally see it in person. I saw it at the past Geneva motor show which also featured debuts of the E92 LCI m-sport, F10, facelifted X5, and X6 M-sport and despite all those exciting cars, the X1 still drew a lot of my attention. I personally don't like big cars so perhaps that's why I was so drawn to the X1. It was almost like a bigger hatchback to me.