XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Kool-Kat
Private
 
Kool-Kat's Avatar
 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mass

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

Bimmer X1 Hard Drive???

So I'm trying to figure out this USB Hard Drive thing, I read in the manual that this USB connect in the glove compartment can store up to 36000 tracks into the HD??? How big is the cars Hard Drive? That would be dope to store that much music in the car!

Anybody know more info on this?
Kool-Kat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Bill B.
First Lieutenant
 
Bill B.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '12 135i, '13 X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cary, NC

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

I believe Kool-Kat is referring to the internal hard drive, to which one can transfer music from a USB stick.

I believe the capacity of the drive is 80GB but only 12 GB is available for music storage (This value might be only for the vehicles with iDrive, I'm not sure)
Bill B. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
 
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT

Posts: 847
iTrader: (0)

Hmm, it should be possible to swap out the drive for a bigger or faster one, then, copying the partitions over and growing them.
Grovsnus is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Tirpitz
Private
 
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

I wonder where the hard drive is mounted. It would be interesting to pull it, clone it, and replace it with a larger SSD drive. But that only works if the software will allow more than 12GB of music on the drive. If BMW was smart they would offer that as an option and charge 5 or 6 times the actual cost like Apple does.

But I can certainly live with using USB sticks and I do not think I'll be the first to try the swap.
Tirpitz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
MikeRR
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 435i F33
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Swapping the HDD is a very bad idea - warranty wise.
Only the cars with Navi Pro have the hard disc.

You can store music from CDs or via the USB port in the glove box.
__________________
My Garage:435i F33 - Estoril Blue / black leather
Corvette C6 Z06 black / black // X1 25d M Sport - mineral white / cloth-alcantara black
MikeRR is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Bill B.
First Lieutenant
 
Bill B.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '12 135i, '13 X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cary, NC

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
I wonder where the hard drive is mounted. It would be interesting to pull it, clone it, and replace it with a larger SSD drive. But that only works if the software will allow more than 12GB of music on the drive. If BMW was smart they would offer that as an option and charge 5 or 6 times the actual cost like Apple does.

But I can certainly live with using USB sticks and I do not think I'll be the first to try the swap.
See here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332783
Bill B. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Tirpitz
Private
 
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Cool bean, thanks!

I've done drive changes on PCs and I'm reasonably confident I could manage this but I do not think the work required is worth the effort, especially if I can not easily get the system to recognize there is more drive space for music. But anyone who has changed a system from spinning drive to SSD knows that the change in performance is remarkable.

I am a bit surprised that they are still using a spinning hard disk instead of solid state media but I suppose that is a cost savings and the failure rate is low enough that they just replace under warranty and still come out ahead.
Tirpitz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Bill B.
First Lieutenant
 
Bill B.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '12 135i, '13 X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cary, NC

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
I am a bit surprised that they are still using a spinning hard disk instead of solid state media but I suppose that is a cost savings and the failure rate is low enough that they just replace under warranty and still come out ahead.
$$$ + planned obsolescence.
Bill B. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Kool-Kat
Private
 
Kool-Kat's Avatar
 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mass

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
I believe Kool-Kat is referring to the internal hard drive, to which one can transfer music from a USB stick.

I believe the capacity of the drive is 80GB but only 12 GB is available for music storage (This value might be only for the vehicles with iDrive, I'm not sure)
I guess 12gb is not that bad, I wanna just throw all my songs on it, so I don't have to worry, but I have more then 12gigs of music...hope it's more
Kool-Kat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST