E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > hello

04-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

hello

i have a front passenger flap flap flap noise that is releted to speed. the faster my wheels moves the quicker it flaps. this noise goes away after driving for a while hence, it only happens after the car has been stationary for a long time or a cold start.

Last edited by AlanYoro35i; 01-12-2016 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

Had a noise which carried on for weeks. Checked the car inside out. Itswasnt until i took the car for its MOT that the guy noticed a thin nail in the tyre..
May not be the same in your case, but i have found stones, etc stuck in the tyre thread can cause some unusual noises.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
fm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: coming soon

Hi Yoro,

I also had an annoying rattling sound coming from behind front passenger window side vent/ around front wheel arch area.

Like you this was from cold starts and was mainly at motorway speeds. Initially this went away after driving for a while. This eventually became worse and would start rattling from 40mph +.

Put it into dealer and they sorted it. Changed rubber mounts and not had a problem since. There is a PUMA alert out on this if it's the same as mine. I searched the forums, and found people had similar issues as well for e92 coupe which is how I resolved mine. Also showed the dealer the resolution as well which I'm assuming helped to a certain extent.

Hope that helps. Feel free to give me a message if you want further info.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm View Post
Hi Yoro,

I also had an annoying rattling sound coming from behind front passenger window side vent/ around front wheel arch area.

Like you this was from cold starts and was mainly at motorway speeds. Initially this went away after driving for a while. This eventually became worse and would start rattling from 40mph +.

Put it into dealer and they sorted it. Changed rubber mounts and not had a problem since. There is a PUMA alert out on this if it's the same as mine. I searched the forums, and found people had similar issues as well for e92 coupe which is how I resolved mine. Also showed the dealer the resolution as well which I'm assuming helped to a certain extent.

Hope that helps. Feel free to give me a message if you want further info.

would you happen to know more about the puma code?
i really want to get this sorted out as i lived with it for ages and it has become worst as of late.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Changed rubber mounts for what? Do you mean the fixings at the trailing edge of the wings? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
fm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: coming soon

Hi both,

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626911

Mine was basically like the first post in this thread. I don't know what rubber mounts they changed as there explanation to me was that we have 'replaced and put SUPER rubber mounts instead' but I would assume it's something to do with the front wing where it comes near to drivers side door as there is a lot of play in that which could cause the vibration noise at speed due to wind hitting it.

I showed the dealer that quote in the above post and then not sure what they done after. But I've not had a problem since. If it helps I'm going to the dealer on Tuesday to put the car in for servicing and will be AWOL until then due to being oncall at the hospital from tonight. So I can ask then what exactly they did with mine.

Regards fm.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

I've defo got this flappy noise . 70mph seems to be the worst speed for it. I've had everything out inside the scar , glovebox , door trim .. externally I've had the scuttle tray , windscreen wipers etc and found nothing.

I'll take a look at the wing but has anyone investigated behind the wing mirror , that was my next port of call
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Hello,

I had a similar problem to that described above on a 335d E92. Motorway speeds/very uneven surfaces triggered it. I brought it to the dealers who immediately mentioned the mounts for the front wing, which they said was a known issue. The checked mine and said they were fine, and that they could not identify the source of the rattle despite charging me the diagnostics fee

However... I have never heard the rattle since! They changed the cabin filter at the same visit, so it's just a shot in the dark, but could it be related?

It's the only conclusion I can come to. Just a thought, hope it might help...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Wired one eh Alan with yours it's quite low and fairly stiff even compared with the standard offering but I dust find it anyway harsh or crashy when I drove it there nothing knocking underneath and the down pipes have good clearance more so than mine due to their re design so can't see my thing here in fact it would of was associated with these sort of things get worse as metal when hit expands.

When you say Alan the faster you go the worse it gets is it a rotational noise or just something that changes with speed, I've heard of odd issues re body panels not too up on the symptoms but can gain full tech bulletin bus BMW OSS & AIR so can check as such but it all depends on what it is and I know it's mighty difficult to describe in words what you are experiencing but just as an off the cuff guess might be worth getting the shock top mounts looked at as they can patter and make odd noises....... just a thought but as you're changing suspension soon anyway worthy of a look though I know are wide it's not exactly at very front of the car but top mounts can do some strange things you know

Hope you get it sorted if you struggle you know who to call font you
      04-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

If we're on the same page, it sounds like a bmw parts sticker that's half come off something and when up to speed the wind is causing it to flap. Coming from the trailing edge if the front wing, wing mirror , base of a-pillar area.

I've been outside and opened my passenger door and pressed on the top securing bolt on the wing with my finger and it creaks quite readily, drivers side doesn't move. Will investigate this a little further
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:26 AM   #11
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Sounds like wing noise.I spent a whole day once on an e92 trying to fix this(not long after I first started) with no luck.One of the guys was like 'oh yeah there's a puma on that' .Couple small parts fitted and some glue and cured.If you wedge a bit of folded up paper between the wing and the door then shut it holding it in place then retest.If it stops the noise that's you're culprit.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #12
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Ok so here's what ive done , takes less than a minute to do and has fixed my issue ..

Parts required .. a tap seal
10mm ratchet.

Undo the bolt on the wing
Inset tap seal underneath bracket
Put bolt back ..

Problem solved!

Last edited by 335DEE; 04-21-2014 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
Undo the bolt on the wing
Could you be a bit more precise as to where this bolt is located please? It's not obvious to me from the pics...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

The pictures need rotating 90 degrees to the right to view properly not sure why they've come out the way they have , I open these images in any other app and they are the righ way round , open passenger door and it's the bolt above the top hinge

Last edited by 335DEE; 04-21-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
However... I have never heard the rattle since! They changed the cabin filter at the same visit, so it's just a shot in the dark, but could it be related?
Definitely related, I'd say. I cured the same noise by fixing black pvc tape along the edge where the windscreen meets the scuttle onto which the tray onto which the cabin filter housing is mounted.

It was as if the air passing in to the cabin filter at speed was setting up some sort of vibration in the plastics in that area.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #17
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Definitely related, I'd say. I cured the same noise by fixing black pvc tape along the edge where the windscreen meets the scuttle onto which the tray onto which the cabin filter housing is mounted.

It was as if the air passing in to the cabin filter at speed was setting up some sort of vibration in the plastics in that area.
Interesting. If mine ever reoccurs, I'll have to try doing this. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

So the nut on the bolt will not fall out if the bolt is removed? I have the same noise per say, I didnt realize it was reverse thread and almost remove it, got scared and tightend back down as I dont want to lose a nut in the fender.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
So the nut on the bolt will not fall out if the bolt is removed? I have the same noise per say, I didnt realize it was reverse thread and almost remove it, got scared and tightend back down as I dont want to lose a nut in the fender.

Reverse thread ?? You sure ?

The nut is captive so won't fall out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
durandm
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI e92 335d M-Sport

Looks like I've developed this same rattle, can't view the DIY repair images though. Could someone repost them please? I would be very grateful...not looking forward to many rattle-ridden motorway miles this Christmas ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #21
Gear Head
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i M Sport

As above, can the photos be reposted please?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #22
Gear Head
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i M Sport

Well tried the loctite 454 on the sliding clips, no joy.
However, I put a couple of rubber o rings on the top bolt that secures the wing to the car and hey presto, the rattle is gone!
Appreciate 0