BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Bimmercode Blunder!?

04-06-2022, 11:40 PM   #1
TheHersh
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Bimmercode Blunder!?

I just picked up a 2017 X1 xdrive on Saturday. I saw all the awesome videos about unlocking features with bimmercode and thought I would give it a try. I have done coding on a Ford with Forscan. Which is much more complicated.

Anyway. I used Bimmercode for some very basic things. When I got to the instrument cluster to add the MPH and went to code it I got an error that will not disappear even after multiple attempts to restore the previous version. There were no interruptions in the process, my phone was on airplane mode as well.

The error says "instrument cluster update required" on the main head unit upon star up. The instrument cluster shows "fatal error" then the "service vehicle icon", and the "triangle!". I have tried to reset the code with Bimmerlink with no fix. I also contacted Bimmercode, they just said to restore, I guess they don't care to much about the problem.

I could use any advice, I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHersh View Post
I just picked up a 2017 X1 xdrive on Saturday. I saw all the awesome videos about unlocking features with bimmercode and thought I would give it a try. I have done coding on a Ford with Forscan. Which is much more complicated.

Anyway. I used Bimmercode for some very basic things. When I got to the instrument cluster to add the MPH and went to code it I got an error that will not disappear even after multiple attempts to restore the previous version. There were no interruptions in the process, my phone was on airplane mode as well.

The error says "instrument cluster update required" on the main head unit upon star up. The instrument cluster shows "fatal error" then the "service vehicle icon", and the "triangle!". I have tried to reset the code with Bimmerlink with no fix. I also contacted Bimmercode, they just said to restore, I guess they don't care to much about the problem.

I could use any advice, I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.
Without more details on what exactly you were coding and how, it is difficult to advise. Given the car is new to you, I would be slightly suspicious that the instrument cluster could have been “chipped” or replaced and your coding attempt inadvertently triggered security/tamper issues. If you have restored Bimmercode setting from back-up,you could just play dumb and see what they say. Normally coding outside of expert mode is relatively safe and file corruption rare (see separate posts on this).
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
TheHersh
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Without more details on what exactly you were coding and how, it is difficult to advise. Given the car is new to you, I would be slightly suspicious that the instrument cluster could have been “chipped” or replaced and your coding attempt inadvertently triggered security/tamper issues. If you have restored Bimmercode setting from back-up,you could just play dumb and see what they say. Normally coding outside of expert mode is relatively safe and file corruption rare (see separate posts on this).
Good news, I got it fixed this morning. I hit the restore like 17 times and then deleted all the errors in Bimmerlink like. 8 times the update required and service required have now vanished. Thanks for reaching out to me. BTW the item I was changing was to add MPH to the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0