BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Emergency NEUTRAL gear release F48

02-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #1
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Emergency NEUTRAL gear release F48

Hi guys, I need some help here. I am unable to engage my gear shifter into neutral while in P position. With the engine switched off, handbrake released I lift the gear knob leather cover, press and hold down the yellow emergency stick, press the button on the gear knob and try to move it into N position. It wont let me do it and I dont want to force it.
Im pretty sure that is how to emergency release the car from P into N to get towed away for example.
I have in the summer successfully repaired my gear selector ( broken spring ). After that I changed my cracked parking button. At that time I had to remove the gear stick while in N position. I think I rushed there and didnt place the gear stick in the right way. My car shifts positions without issues when engine is running. It is just when I park it feels a bit weird when I go from R to P. So today I decided to take out the gear stick and reseat it. No chance.
Also right after the parking button fix I tried to start my car and after start I was not able to move it out of P. I had forced it kind of and then it worked.
Thats why I wanted today to take it out and reseat it.

Anyone has any idea how to release the gear from P ito N other than using the yellow stick?

Also, if I start the car, put it into N and then pull out the gear knob. Reseat it. Is that safe? That could be one way around it but I dont know what would happen, if it is safe and most of all I dont want to damage my car.

Thanks for all advice guys
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
Hi guys, I need some help here. I am unable to engage my gear shifter into neutral while in P position. With the engine switched off, handbrake released I lift the gear knob leather cover, press and hold down the yellow emergency stick, press the button on the gear knob and try to move it into N position. It wont let me do it and I dont want to force it.
Im pretty sure that is how to emergency release the car from P into N to get towed away for example.
I have in the summer successfully repaired my gear selector ( broken spring ). After that I changed my cracked parking button. At that time I had to remove the gear stick while in N position. I think I rushed there and didnt place the gear stick in the right way. My car shifts positions without issues when engine is running. It is just when I park it feels a bit weird when I go from R to P. So today I decided to take out the gear stick and reseat it. No chance.
Also right after the parking button fix I tried to start my car and after start I was not able to move it out of P. I had forced it kind of and then it worked.
Thats why I wanted today to take it out and reseat it.

Anyone has any idea how to release the gear from P ito N other than using the yellow stick?

Also, if I start the car, put it into N and then pull out the gear knob. Reseat it. Is that safe? That could be one way around it but I dont know what would happen, if it is safe and most of all I dont want to damage my car.

Thanks for all advice guys

As far as I know, the yellow emergency button below the leather cover is the only way to move from Parking to Neutral without starting the engine. But, you know, It's tough to push it, and you should listen to some warnings while doing it. Well, at least without disassembling the gearbox.

On the other hand, I don't think removing the gear knob while the engine is running is safe.

I have to say that sometimes I feel resistant while changing from P to R, and I never disassemble it like you when repairing the spring. Could it be a symptom of something worse? Hopefully not .
      02-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
As far as I know, the yellow emergency button below the leather cover is the only way to move from Parking to Neutral without starting the engine. But, you know, It's tough to push it, and you should listen to some warnings while doing it. Well, at least without disassembling the gearbox.

On the other hand, I don't think removing the gear knob while the engine is running is safe.

I have to say that sometimes I feel resistant while changing from P to R, and I never disassemble it like you when repairing the spring. Could it be a symptom of something worse? Hopefully not .
There was never a problem after 1st assembly when I repaired the spring. Only after the second assembly. Actually I was not able to to get out from the P even when engine was running. Im almost sure I have not seated the rod symetrically, rushed it
I kinda forced the shifter out of parking.
It works ever since but when going from R to P it doesnt feel 100% smooth. Unlike when I. goind from D to P. It goes easy.
I will probably contact a friend who works at BMW and ask him to ask one of his mechanics.
Alternatively I could get the selector out again and see whats wrong. But not sure if I can remove the surrounding trims with the shifter in.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
There was never a problem after 1st assembly when I repaired the spring. Only after the second assembly. Actually I was not able to to get out from the P even when engine was running. Im almost sure I have not seated the rod symetrically, rushed it
It works ever since but when going from R to P it doesnt feel 100% smooth. Unlike when I. goind from D to P. It goes easy.
I will probably contact a friend who works at BMW and ask him to ask one of his mechanics.
Alternatively I could get the selector out again and see whats wrong. But not sure if I can remove the surrounding trims with the shifter in.
Didn't you try to remove the gear knob while it's in P? It's challenging but doable. The first time I wrapped the center console with carbon fiber vinyl, I did that. I needed to remove the top plastic cover of the console to wrap it, and at that time, I didn't know how to operate the emergency yellow button to release the gear knob into N.
      02-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Didn't you try to remove the gear knob while it's in P? It's challenging but doable. The first time I wrapped the center console with carbon fiber vinyl, I did that. I needed to remove the top plastic cover of the console to wrap it, and at that time, I didn't know how to operate the emergency yellow button to release the gear knob into N.
I never did. Always thought it should be done only if in N. I might give it a try just to reseat it and see if thats the issue. If not Im happy to look inside the gear selector 🙂
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I never did. Always thought it should be done only if in N. I might give it a try just to reseat it and see if thats the issue. If not Im happy to look inside the gear selector 🙂
And you're probably right. I did it before knowing that I should use the yellow button to move it to N .
      02-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
and you're probably right. I did it before knowing that i should use the yellow button to move it to n .
👀💥
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 03:38 AM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Hope you get it sorted without problems and too much expense.

Reading your post, imo you should take your own advice and get someone who knows. An experienced BMW mechanic should be able to tell you a) if you have a problem and b) how best to fix it without risking further damage. From my own past failures, they usually got worse when I took riskier action trying fix a previous mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 07:06 AM   #9
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

update: long time but I finally managed to get on with this. I have pulled out the gear shifter rod while in parked position. No problem after putting it back. Gear goin smoothly, clearly the rod wasnt put inside straightly.
As for the emergency park release, it is still not working so Im gonna have to look at the gear selector at some point. Thats a big job but at least I know I can do it as the shifter can come out even if not in N position.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #10
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
update: long time but I finally managed to get on with this. I have pulled out the gear shifter rod while in parked position. No problem after putting it back. Gear goin smoothly, clearly the rod wasnt put inside straightly.
As for the emergency park release, it is still not working so Im gonna have to look at the gear selector at some point. Thats a big job but at least I know I can do it as the shifter can come out even if not in N position.
I'm glad my "advise" worked, haha
      03-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #11
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm glad my "advise" worked, haha
Yeah, thanks a lot mate. It took some bravery lol
Appreciate 0