2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Efficient Dynamics Analysis/Bypassing

01-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Efficient Dynamics Analysis/Bypassing

These documents are for the purpose of further understanding how our cars' charging system works, with the goal of bypassing BMW's Efficient Dynamics system. This will help us out in two ways; one, I assume it will drastically increase the life of our AGM batteries, and two, it will make our cars more able to support aftermarket sound systems. I plan to do more research, but this is just what I found last night.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alternator.pdf (2.19 MB, 322 views)
File Type: pdf Intelligent Battery Sensor.pdf (3.59 MB, 670 views)
File Type: pdf Power Management.pdf (4.80 MB, 1147 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 03:54 AM   #2
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
These documents are for the purpose of further understanding how our cars' charging system works, with the goal of bypassing BMW's Efficient Dynamics system. This will help us out in two ways; one, I assume it will drastically increase the life of our AGM batteries, and two, it will make our cars more able to support aftermarket sound systems. I plan to do more research, but this is just what I found last night.
This is good information and it looks like there might be a way to trick those systems into charging the battery more, but I need to do some research of my own. I did however test the alternator today, it only has 1 wire going to the DME and the DME is controlling the charging by pulsing current to the alt measuring from 8-12 volts depending on the load on the electrical system. At idle with my stereo on at low volume (just load enough to hear the bass with the windows down from 7-10 ft away) the alt was seeing a range of 8.99-9.99 volts from the DME as the stereo put a load on the system. So it appears that as the load is increased on the system the DME supplies more voltage to the alternator to increase its output to satisfy the demand. There is no way to bypass anything at the alternator physically but it may be possible to splice in some kind of voltage amplifier to increase the voltage from the DME to tell the alt to increase its output. XS power makes a VCM that is adjustable for GM alternators to increase their output and it may work for our car but I need to call them to verify how it works and if it's compatible? I wish a bmw engineer was on this forum to say YA or NA to this monkey business
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

I had my electrical engineer friend look at those PDFs and he doesn't think there's a way to bypass the efficient dynamics. Judging by the response this thread is getting nobody knows anything about it or cares to do anything. I think programming is the only way to adjust the charging system and if it's done thru the DME were screwed since the DME can't be cracked.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm getting married this week, so I have zero time to check further into it. I will try later on though. But you're right about either nobody caring or knowing.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
I'm getting married this week, so I have zero time to check further into it. I will try later on though. But you're right about either nobody caring or knowing.
Congratulations! I don't blame you, I wouldn't be working on it either.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Congratulations! I don't blame you, I wouldn't be working on it either.
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0