XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
Halitosis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Delivery van

UNIT 731 - Japanese Torture & Human Medical Experiments

Has anyone heard of this place that Imperial Japan setup to conduct a wide assortment of experiments on unwilling human subjects? I had no idea about this until it was referenced in a comment and made me do some research. I have a relatively strong stomach and can handle some grotesque images and videos but reading these accounts made my stomach churn. To think all of this happened just 70 or so years ago is just mind-boggling.

"General Douglas MacArthur struck a deal with Japanese informants —he secretly granted immunity to the physicians of Unit 731, including their leader, in exchange for providing America, but not the other wartime allies, with their research on biological warfare and data from human experimentation. American occupation authorities monitored the activities of former unit members, including reading and censoring their mail.[48] The U.S. believed that the research data was valuable. The U.S. did not want other nations, particularly the Soviet Union, to acquire data on biological weapons."

Here are some of the horrific experiments that were tested on mostly Chinese subjects. Victims included Koreans, Mongolians, Russians, SE Asians, and Pacific Islanders.

Vivisection
Thousands of men, women and children interred at prisoner of war camps, including US POW,[18] were subjected to vivisection without anesthesia.[19] Vivisections were performed on prisoners after infecting them with various diseases. Researchers performed invasive surgery on prisoners, removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body. These were conducted while the patients were alive because it was feared that the decomposition process would affect the results.[20] The infected and vivisected prisoners included men, women, children, and infants, including pregnant women (impregnated by Japanese surgeons) and their infants.[21]
Prisoners had limbs amputated in order to study blood loss. Those limbs that were removed were sometimes re-attached to the opposite sides of the body. Some prisoners' limbs were frozen and amputated, while others had limbs frozen, then thawed to study the effects of the resultant untreated gangrene and rotting.
Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus reattached to the intestines. Parts of the brain, lungs, liver, etc. were removed from some prisoners.[19]
Japanese army surgeon Ken Yuasa suggests that the practice of vivisection on human subjects (mostly Chinese Communists) was widespread even outside Unit 731,[6] estimating that at least 1,000 Japanese personnel were involved in the practice in mainland China.[22]

Germ warfare attacks
Prisoners were injected with inoculations of disease, disguised as vaccinations, to study their effects. To study the effects of untreated venereal diseases, male and female prisoners were deliberately infected with syphilis and gonorrhea, then studied. Prisoners were also repeatedly subject to rape by guards.[23]
Plague fleas, infected clothing, and infected supplies encased in bombs were dropped on various targets. The resulting cholera, anthrax, and plague were estimated to have killed around and possibly more than 400,000 Chinese civilians.[24] Tularemia was tested on Chinese civilians.[25]
Unit 731 and its affiliated units (Unit 1644 and Unit 100 among others) were involved in research, development, and experimental deployment of epidemic-creating biowarfare weapons in assaults against the Chinese populace (both civilian and military) throughout World War II. Plague-infested fleas, bred in the laboratories of Unit 731 and Unit 1644, were spread by low-flying airplanes upon Chinese cities, coastal Ningbo in 1940, and Changde, Hunan Province, in 1941. This military aerial spraying killed thousands of people with bubonic plague epidemics.[26]
It is possible that Unit 731's methods and objectives were also followed in Indonesia, in a case of failed experiment designed to validate a conjured tetanus toxoid vaccine.[27]

Frostbite testing
Physiologist Yoshimura Hisato conducted experiments by taking captives outside, dipping various appendages into water, and allowing the limb to freeze. Once frozen, which testimony from a Japanese officer said "was determined after the 'frozen arms, when struck with a short stick, emitted a sound resembling that which a board gives when it is struck'",[28] ice was chipped away and the area doused in water. The effects of different water temperatures were tested by bludgeoning the victim to determine if any areas were still frozen. Variations of these tests in more gruesome forms were performed.

Syphilis
Doctors orchestrated forced sex acts between infected and non infected prisoners to transmit the disease. Consider the testimony of a prison guard on the subject of devising a method for transmission of syphilis between patients:
"Infection of venereal disease by injection was abandoned, and the researchers started forcing the prisoners into sexual acts with each other. Four or five unit members, dressed in white laboratory clothing completely cover the body with only eyes and mouth visible, handled the tests. A male and female, one infected with syphilis, would be brought together in a cell and forced into sex with each others. It was made clear that anyone resisting would be shot."[29]
After victims were infected, they were vivisected at different stages of infection, so that internal and external organs could be observed as the disease progressed. Testimony from multiple guards blames the female victims as being hosts of the diseases, even as they were forcibly infected. Genitals of female prisoners that were infected with syphilis were called “jam filled buns” by guards.[30]
A Youth Corps member deployed to train at Unit 731 recalled viewing a batch of subjects that would undergo syphilis testing: “one was a Chinese woman holding an infant, one was a White Russian woman with a daughter of four or five years of age, and the last was a White Russian woman with a boy of about six or seven.”[30] The children of these women were tested in ways similar to their parents, with specific emphasis on determining how longer infection periods affected the effectiveness of treatments. In short, some children grew up inside the walls of Unit 731, infected with syphilis.

Rape and forced pregnancy
Female prisoners were forced to become pregnant for use in experiments. The hypothetical possibility of vertical transmission (from mother to fetus or child) of diseases, particularly syphilis, was the stated reason for the torture. Fetal survival and damage to mother’s reproductive organs were objects of interest. Though “a large number of babies were born in captivity” of Unit 731, there has been no account of any survivors of the facility, children included. It is suspected that the children of female prisoners were killed or the pregnancies terminated.[30]
While male prisoners were often used in single studies, so that the results of the experimentation on them would not be clouded by other variables, women were sometimes used in bacteriological or physiological experiments, sex experiments, and the victims of sex crimes. The testimony of a unit member that served as guard graphically demonstrates this reality:
"One of the former researchers I located told me that one day he had a human experiment scheduled, but there was still time to kill. So he and another unit member took the keys to the cells and opened one that housed a Chinese woman. One of the unit members raped her; the other member took the keys and opened another cell. There was a Chinese woman in there who had been used in a frostbite experiment. She had several fingers missing and her bones were black, with gangrene set in. He was about to rape her anyway, then he saw that her sex organ was festering, with pus oozing to the surface. He gave up the idea, left, and locked the door, then later went on to his experimental work."[30]

Weapons testing
Human targets were used to test grenades positioned at various distances and in different positions. Flame throwers were tested on humans. Humans were tied to stakes and used as targets to test germ-releasing bombs, chemical weapons, and explosive bombs.

Other experiments
In other tests, subjects were deprived of food and water to determine the length of time until death; placed into high-pressure chambers until death; experimented upon to determine the relationship between temperature, burns, and human survival; placed into centrifuges and spun until death; injected with animal blood; exposed to lethal doses of x-rays; subjected to various chemical weapons inside gas chambers; injected with sea water; and burned or buried alive.

Biological warfare
The ruins of a boiler building on the site of the bioweapon facility of Unit 731
Japanese researchers performed tests on prisoners with Bubonic plague, cholera, smallpox, botulism, and other diseases. This research led to the development of the defoliation bacilli bomb and the flea bomb used to spread bubonic plague. Some of these bombs were designed with porcelain shells, an idea proposed by Ishii in 1938.
These bombs enabled Japanese soldiers to launch biological attacks, infecting agriculture, reservoirs, wells, and other areas with anthrax, plague-carrier fleas, typhoid, dysentery, cholera, and other deadly pathogens. During biological bomb experiments, researchers dressed in protective suits would examine the dying victims. Infected food supplies and clothing were dropped by airplane into areas of China not occupied by Japanese forces. In addition, poisoned food and candies were given out to unsuspecting victims, and the results examined.

In 2002, Changde, China, site of the flea spraying attack, held an "International Symposium on the Crimes of Bacteriological Warfare" which estimated that at least 580,000 people died as a result of the attack. The historian Sheldon Harris claims that 200,000 died. In addition to Chinese casualties, 1,700 Japanese in Chekiang were killed by their own biological weapons while attempting to unleash the biological agent, which indicates serious issues with distribution.
During the final months of World War II, Japan planned to use plague as a biological weapon against San Diego, California. The plan was scheduled to launch on September 22, 1945, but Japan surrendered five weeks earlier.

Unit 731 Japanese Torture & Human Medical Experiments щƒищšŠуБочœŸхоŸ - YouTube

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Vivisection always interested me.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The Japanese did many horrible things in the areas they occupied. Most of these things they deny even today and do not mention at all in their history books.

It is a big issue and a reason why China hates Japan to this day. Parallels can be drawn with Nazi Germany... except Germany actually came out and apologized. Japan has never acknowledged anything wrong.
      02-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

This isn't the only case. Look up what Hitlers camps did with incestial sex, twins, and a bunch of other human "studies".

People are fucked up, and the mind has no limitations when put into a point of power. I'm not sure what their end goals are by doing all this, but I don't believe any of it has been declared a part of scientific breakthrough, only a manifestation of evil and people who will rightfully burn in hell.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
There's a movie about this that showing most of horrific things they had done...Look into their comfort women as well. But the most horrifying fact is that Japan is not acknowledging the fact to this date.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Read about it a couple of years ago, during a depressing night in high school. All I did was read about war crimes that night.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The Japanese did many horrible things in the areas they occupied. Most of these things they deny even today and do not mention at all in their history books.

It is a big issue and a reason why China hates Japan to this day. Parallels can be drawn with Nazi Germany... except Germany actually came out and apologized. Japan has never acknowledged anything wrong.
It was absolutely horrible, but the contributions to medicine they made during those times were incredible.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
This isn't the only case. Look up what Hitlers camps did with incestial sex, twins, and a bunch of other human "studies".

People are fucked up, and the mind has no limitations when put into a point of power. I'm not sure what their end goals are by doing all this, but I don't believe any of it has been declared a part of scientific breakthrough, only a manifestation of evil and people who will rightfully burn in hell.
There were some... even some that the US military later used for testing impacts on US soldiers.... the experiments were horrible, definitely not worth the contributions... but some scientific medial research did come out of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
Rep
Drives: '22 GR Z4 Coup '06 Z4M Rdster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
It was absolutely horrible, but the contributions to medicine they made during those times were incredible.
The ends should never justify the means
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
The ends should never justify the means
oh i am with u 300%
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

And? It's war. Dead is dead. Pretty much what isis has been doing for years and we're ignoring it instead of making them dead too.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
The chinese all know but history never talked about this....except chinese history
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

The rape of Nanking is being repeated by isis in iraq, and we do nothing. Anyone say why?
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #14
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
And? It's war. Dead is dead. Pretty much what isis has been doing for years and we're ignoring it instead of making them dead too.
Dead is dead? These people were alive and gruesomely tortured.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #15
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Dead is dead? These people were alive and gruesomely tortured.
And that's what's happening now in the middle east but we tolerate it. What's the difference? Where's the outrage? This advanced medical science. Isis is just plain evil.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #16
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
And that's what's happening now in the middle east but we tolerate it. What's the difference? Where's the outrage? This advanced medical science. Isis is just plain evil.
So you justify what the Nazis and Japanese did acceptable in your opinion as "advanced medical science", and not evil? Does Mein Kampf adore your book shelf by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #17
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

No I don't. I simply point out the hypocrisy in society that people find this historic event abhorrent but tolerate isis, which is as evil or more.
I can also point out equally evil acts committed by every society. Romans, medieval english, American indians, soviets, saddam, etc. This isn't extroadinary. What's extroadinary is we have the power to stop this happening now and we don't.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
No I don't. I simply point out the hypocrisy in society that people find this historic event abhorrent but tolerate isis, which is as evil or more.
I've said it over and over, the world has been fucked up long before we've been walking. Nothing shocks me, because although crazy shit happens, crazier shit happened in the past.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I've said it over and over, the world has been fucked up long before we've been walking. Nothing shocks me, because although crazy shit happens, crazier shit happened in the past.
Very true. This isn't news. This is 70 years old. I've known this for decades. They also stacked soldiers up like logs and tested how many they could cut through with their families samurai sword. Don't forget the nazis. Mengele, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #20
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

One of my favorites is the horrendous blood eagle the Vikings did. Check that out. Or how vlad the impaler impaled his victims so they lived for days.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #21
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Very true. This isn't news. This is 70 years old. I've known this for decades. They also stacked soldiers up like logs and tested how many they could cut through with their families samurai sword. Don't forget the nazis. Mengele, etc.
It sucks, but it's a part of reality. Evil runs through people you wouldn't even expect. Look at the movie theater guy, recently Uber driver, it's all over the place. It's less "accepted" now by majority of masses, but mental conditions don't constitute reality and taking another life. Especially those that are brainwashed under propaganda or third world countries that have no knowledge of what goes on around them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
My friend, they are both plain evil.
There is no amount of knowledge gained that in any way softens the barbarism.

In fact, the medical experimentation is worse as it was performed by allegedly intelligent 'people'. The barbaric acts of ISIS are horrible and, sadly, the acts placed in this thread by the OP exceed theirs by quite a bit.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0