XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #23
TKO Performance
Rep
Drives: Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
F87 M2C here. Road and tire noise are predominant traits. Doesn't bother me though, mostly bothers my passengers. But if they hate it so much, they can walk. Despite having an aftermarket exhaust, it doesn't really effect the cabin noise all too much.

Point is, only you can determine what's acceptable to you. Suggest you schedule a test drive, perhaps something longer, so you can decide it's something you could live with.

Edit: sounds like this is more for market research. Disregard that last part.
"But if they hate it so much, they can walk." lol

Im noticing and as someone stated, M series tends to be a little noisy.

Does it seem to come from the rear or the front as another member suggested?

And yes I had mentioned a few posts up it is more for feed back to see if we should go ahead with a product. Its in existence for other cars now that suffer from road noise and exhaust. Just checking if its an issue with the BMW's

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #24
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

We're having a discussion on UK Off topic of how the 20d engines are prone to "sound deadening roulette." Some are quiet. Some sound raucous. Noise in cabin varies hugely. Might be worth looking into that if you can.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #25
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

M cars are definitely louder all around. The liners on my M3 / M4 in my house hold are all plastic, therefore gravel and what not create a lot of sound that can be transmitted back into cabin. The wheel liners on my X1, the 550i, the old E46 (all non-Ms) were fabric material lined which significantly decreased the same noise that the M3/M4 generates over the same patch of road.

Couple of other things that increase sound on M cars are obviously lack of sound deadening material, stiffer suspension, bigger wheels / stiffer low profile tires and the subframe being directly bolted without any bushings.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #26
TKO Performance
Rep
Drives: Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
We're having a discussion on UK Off topic of how the 20d engines are prone to "sound deadening roulette." Some are quiet. Some sound raucous. Noise in cabin varies hugely. Might be worth looking into that if you can.
Interesting. Regarding interior tire noise (roar) I wonder if its the car or its the road condition.. Because its the same here. You can take a care with runflats in NY and its pretty quiet. Same car in NJ, TX,CA roads and its unreal how loud it is inside the car. All due to the road. If you have a link I'd like to take a peak. Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
M cars are definitely louder all around. The liners on my M3 / M4 in my house hold are all plastic, therefore gravel and what not create a lot of sound that can be transmitted back into cabin. The wheel liners on my X1, the 550i, the old E46 (all non-Ms) were fabric material lined which significantly decreased the same noise that the M3/M4 generates over the same patch of road.

Couple of other things that increase sound on M cars are obviously lack of sound deadening material, stiffer suspension, bigger wheels / stiffer low profile tires and the subframe being directly bolted without any bushings.
Yes. we are feeling the M series seems to be a little more noisy for the reasons you pointed out.
We too noticed more recently, certain cars had "carpeted" like wheel wells to help mute rocks, pebbles..etc. But it really does not help with overall tire noise from harder compound tires and or runflats during long trips on certain surfaced roads.

My question is would a sound barrier in the trunk help prevent much of that noise from getting into were you live (cockpit). Sometimes its hard to tell where noise leaks in from. My feeling is the rear of the car.

No drone from aftermarket exhaust?

Great feed back James
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #27
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Heavily modified E82 here. Lots of road noise from tires and moderate drone from big custom exhaust.

Interested pending product weight and where you would plan to apply it.
      09-17-2020, 10:41 PM   #28
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I've literally sold and/or installed (at retail) at least 100 pallets of Dynamat. I also was the Dynamic Control (Dynamat) Rep for the NY-Metro area for like 7 years. I think I qualify as an expert on the topic.

Subarus are the sweet spot. 😉
      04-16-2023, 05:12 PM   #29
Sprinterman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

I’ve an F31 M sport, the door closure was tinny and the factory fitted speakers were a joke. I added a vibe mini amp, match speakers with built in tweeters, front and rear doors, kept the under seat factory subwoofers,and added stinger sound deadening to the inside of all 4 doors. The amp and the match speakers sound amazing, even at full volume, no distortion and no vibration. The factory fitted subwoofers are 20 times the bass and don’t distort, in fact I have to set the equalizer bass very low, and still it can take the bass at high bass settings, this was the perfect set up for me, and inside the cabin the ride is super quiet without the audio on, the doors close with a thud rather then thinking the windows will shatter if someone closes them too hard. Despite the bonnet having the noise dampener underneath, being a diesel you can still hear the engine so I’m going to take off the noise dampener and line the bonnet skin with stinger sheets as a 1st skin, then the put the noise dampener back on as a second skin
      04-19-2023, 04:17 PM   #30
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO Performance View Post
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask if any of you experience any interior noise. Now Im not talking about that sweat engine note.. Im talking about road noise from concrete or certain asphalt roads. Or drone from aftermarket exhaust. That kind of noise. There is nothing sexy about that.

I thought they were all quiet as a Cadillac. However I have heard certain models/series experience tires/road noise (in certain states) and drone from aftermarket exhaust coming from the rear.

If you wouldn't mind letting me know if you have any of these issues and what car you have, that would be awesome!
Thanks!
Isn't this the research you should be doing on your own & developing your products? Just asking strangers on the net is not going to cut it.

You can probably find data on how much, or how little, sound deadening XYZ vehicle models have from the factory
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 06:15 PM   #31
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

sound deadening in the cabin doesn't do squat to tire roar

i applied butyrl layer and sound foam all over the cabin and nothing changed with tire roar

there is youtube video where a guy did 3 layers and to his disappointment the dB meter is unchanged lol

i think you have to also insulate the wheel well

the quietest cars are EVs - courtesy of the 6 inches of battery between you and the road
Appreciate 0