XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

07-16-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
4ndres
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 xDrive35i

What is it?

I am about to do a few maintenance items and I cant find the specification for coolant capacity on my X1.

I want this so I can have an accurate 50/50 mix when I refill after flushing.

The BMW OEM coolant comes in one gallon containers. From what I see online the total capacity for the xdrive28i is 8.5liters.

If the capacity is 8.5liters and the coolant comes in about 3.75liter containers, I need to buy 2 containers to get the 4.25liters I need.

If someone can help me confirm the coolant capacity to ease my OCD brain.

Thank you!
      07-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
4ndres
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 xDrive35i

Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DRESINHO_ View Post
What is it?

I am about to do a few maintenance items and I cant find the specification for coolant capacity on my X1.

I want this so I can have an accurate 50/50 mix when I refill after flushing.

The BMW OEM coolant comes in one gallon containers. From what I see online the total capacity for the xdrive28i is 8.5liters.

If the capacity is 8.5liters and the coolant comes in about 3.75liter containers, I need to buy 2 containers to get the 4.25liters I need.

If someone can help me confirm the coolant capacity to ease my OCD brain.

Thank you!
9.3L was able to find it!
      12-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

thanks for posting this. I couldn't seem to find this either!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
dicex1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

A tip I'd read about in Mike Miller's (Drive Wheels, LLC) maintenance guide is that you may want to fill to the minimum fill line rather than the max.

"On its face this seems counter-intuitive. However, if you think about how modern BMW
cooling systems are built as a closed system with no real way to release pressure other
than breaking, it follows logically that if the expansion tank is filled to the point that the
coolant cannot expand anymore and pressure increases due to heat, then at some point the expansion tank will break."
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #5
rajesh5024
Rajesh
India
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive 20d

I ]did a DIY coolant flush on my BMW X1. I unfortunately didn't take any pictures of the DIY. But it was satisfying. I didnt open any hose or the engine block drain. I just opened the radiator valve and drained all the existing coolant. Then filled it with Distilled water about 6 litres and went through the bleed procedure (heater full inside the cabin), bleeding out the air from the radiator etc. And then keep running the engine for about 30 minutes. Then when I didnt see any air bubbles, shut down the car and then let the system cool for 2 hours and then drained all the distilled water. The capacity is about 7.2 litres but it bled only 5.5 litres I think.

And the distilled water that came out was a bit dirty. So I did the same procedure with another 6 litres or so of distilled water and repeated the procedure and that came out a bit clean. It had just a hint of blue colour but mostly clear water that came out.

That told me that the entire system is now flused with maybe about 2 litres of distilled water stuck in the block or some hoses. Now, I just calculated how much of the blue BMW coolant is needed with is about 3.6litres and I put that into the coolant tank and I went through the bleed procedure. And now no air in the system, and coolant is now clean!!! For the next few trips I will be keeping an eye on the coolant temperature.

The only thing that puzzles me is that the radiator fan does not seem to switch on at all. I thought when the temperature reaches about 90Celcius it should switch on. But no. In any case, the operating temp of the BMW engine is about 92-110 or something like that. So I'll be keeping an eye for that.

Expert DIYs please comment if I have made any mistake
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
spackops
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 x35i (E84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh5024 View Post
The only thing that puzzles me is that the radiator fan does not seem to switch on at all. I thought when the temperature reaches about 90Celcius it should switch on. But no. In any case, the operating temp of the BMW engine is about 92-110 or something like that. So I'll be keeping an eye for that.
I've heard that some BMW thermostats open at 110C for better fuel economy, but more heat shortens the engine life. There are aftermarket thermostats you could install that open at 90C. This extends the life of your engine, but gives you lower fuel economy. It's a trade-off for sure, but buying more fuel is cheaper than buying a new engine.
Appreciate 0