XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Nas9013
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3D E84

Tips for Coding

New to the forum guys, but been looking into getting my car coded. So was wondering..

1. Which is the best adapter to use or any will work as they average from cheap £10 on ebay to Carly for example which is about £60 and does it make a difference.

2. What app would you suggest using? I dont want to go too deep into coding just things such as mirrors folding in when locking/opening car etc.

Much appreciated for help and looking forward to hearing different suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
4ndres
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas9013 View Post
New to the forum guys, but been looking into getting my car coded. So was wondering..

1. Which is the best adapter to use or any will work as they average from cheap £10 on ebay to Carly for example which is about £60 and does it make a difference.

2. What app would you suggest using? I dont want to go too deep into coding just things such as mirrors folding in when locking/opening car etc.

Much appreciated for help and looking forward to hearing different suggestions!
I use protool, its not amazingly intuitive but it does the job. The catch is it only works on Android systems.

I used this cable from ebay and it works perfectly, this also comes with a CD that has INPA EDIBIAS NCS expert.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324098156090
      08-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Sulphurman
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 1.8d Xdrive

I'm waiting for a lead I've just bought on ebay. Will let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Sulphurman
Rep

Successfully coded to get enhanced bluetooth using this lead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-K...72.m2749.l2649

However the USB will still not connect with any of my current or old iPhones. Not sure if I missed something out.

I used NCS Expert and coded the following:

MEDIA

> A2DP_AVRCP_EIN_AUS to aktiv

CIC

> CDMM_BLUETOOTH_AUDIO to aktiv

> A2DP_PROFILE to aktiv

> AUDIO_PLAYER_ON_OFF to aktiv

> BT_MODUL_ON_OFF to aktiv
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
Sulphurman
Rep

Success!

DISCLAIMER: You need to understand, that coding your cars electronic modules is a very risky project and will certainly lead to disaster if you don't understand EXACTLY what you are doing. It has taken a few hours of reading up and searching the net (there's some mis-information out there!) for me to be somewhat certain about what I'm doing and if you're thinking this is easy/risk free then my advice is DO NOT attempt it.

Ok so I looked a great deal into the NCS Expert software and as I started to understand more I realised that the only way to get the complete 6NS set of instructions was to code the Vehicle Order for it.

After inserting the $6NS and removing the $6NH I was able to load the files to the CIC and MEDIA modules from the latest DATEN I had which was 67.1 (I think).

This was done in NCS Expert using the 'Expertmoden' profile, which does not use MANipulation mode files, but grabs the correct files for the ECU's from the DATEN.

It feels and sounds easy now I've done it successfully, and it does not take a huge amount of time if you're all set up to go.

So I now have 'Enhanced' Bluetooth. Bluetooth audio is working, streaming from my iPhone SE (2020). The Bluetooth audio quality I have to say, while it's ok, is a bit bright and 'fizzy'. However the best bit of this new option is the fact that my iPhone will now connect digitally via the USB input on the dash. The playback quality is very good indeed and I'm able to use the iDrive and steering controls to search and playback music, stored on the phone and also streamed from Apple Music. It's even showing the album art which is great.

All in all it's been a good spend of around £30 for the lead, and means that I can realistically banish my CD folder from the car. Excuse the dust in the picture....needs a clean

Edit: Just wanted to add - the CIC iDrive unit is not particularly fast. The input from bluetooth audio is quite 'laggy' when changing tracks, and when connected via USB the album art and searches can take a while to appear. I'll happily live with that though!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sulphurman; 08-24-2020 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: ...forgot to add
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2020, 12:40 AM   #6
venkiee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xdrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ndres View Post
I use protool, its not amazingly intuitive but it does the job. The catch is it only works on Android systems.

I used this cable from ebay and it works perfectly, this also comes with a CD that has INPA EDIBIAS NCS expert.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324098156090
Does this witk with E84 ??
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphurman View Post
Successfully coded to get enhanced bluetooth using this lead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-K...72.m2749.l2649

However the USB will still not connect with any of my current or old iPhones. Not sure if I missed something out.

I used NCS Expert and coded the following:

MEDIA

> A2DP_AVRCP_EIN_AUS to aktiv

CIC

> A2DP_PROFILE to aktiv

Hi,
Thank you for the information to activate Bluetooth function to play music out of a phone. Do we need to set all five line above to 'aktiv'? Do you have description on each line? Assuming this will work for both iPhone and Android phone? Appreciate and look for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca4wd View Post
Hi,
Thank you for the information to activate Bluetooth function to play music out of a phone. Do we need to set all five line above to 'aktiv'? Do you have description on each line? Assuming this will work for both iPhone and Android phone? Appreciate and look for your feedback.
You must have a combox in the boot and CIC for this to work (also the right software and be connected to the car). I had both but only option 6NH basic 'telephone only' bluetooth.

What do you have? I can help you through it if you like. The options I listed were copied from another post and I read my CIC and MEDIA modules and then manipulated the files and coded that back. If you read my next post you will understand that there were other lines to be coded, but changing the VO (taking out 6NH and inserting 6NS) and re-coding from the DATEN files took care of everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
orca4wd
Private
Rep

Quote:
You must have a combox in the boot and CIC for this to work (also the right software and be connected to the car). I had both but only option 6NH basic 'telephone only' bluetooth.

What do you have? I can help you through it if you like. The options I listed were copied from another post and I read my CIC and MEDIA modules and then manipulated the files and coded that back. If you read my next post you will understand that there were other lines to be coded, but changing the VO (taking out 6NH and inserting 6NS) and re-coding from the DATEN files took care of everything.
I do have the necessary software/wiring connection to make changes to the coding modules. However, I don't have iDrive CIC center screen, just the radio with basic telephone bluetooth that allow connection to smart phone. I have play around with coding VO to removed TPMS but not a super user at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #10
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I do have the necessary software/wiring connection to make changes to the coding modules. However, I don't have iDrive CIC center screen, just the radio with basic telephone bluetooth that allow connection to smart phone. I have play around with coding VO to removed TPMS but not a super user at all.
I think the 6NS option will still work if you have the Combox in the boot. Do you have emergency call service in the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
JReid
Registered
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 '15 435GC

Hello, new user here...I'm trying to get any type of communication going from my laptop to the car.

I bought the clear D-Can cable everyone is using.
I set up a clean Win XP laptop just for learning this.

Is anyone using FSTools? I need to load a backup set of FSC certs to get my navigation running but I can't get anything to communicate.

Is there a simple way to test the interface? Even just to read the vin?

What ecu do we select for the E84? The one for E90?

Sorry for so many questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
4ndres
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkiee View Post
Does this witk with E84 ??
Yes, I have a 2014 E84 X1
      08-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #13
orca4wd
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think the 6NS option will still work if you have the Combox in the boot. Do you have emergency call service in the car?
No, Combox has been disabled. I do not have emergency call service. Do you think this Bluetooth functionality still be activate? Appreciate if you can share your how-to steps. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:45 AM   #14
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReid View Post
Is anyone using FSTools? I need to load a backup set of FSC certs to get my navigation running but I can't get anything to communicate.
Haven't used that yet but it may be on my drive, I'll check.

Quote:
Is there a simple way to test the interface? Even just to read the vin?
Load INPA and you should get two black dots top of screen, one for battery and one for ignition. Close INPA before loading another prog.

Quote:
What ecu do we select for the E84? The one for E90?
E89 Daten has the ECU's for E84
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:47 AM   #15
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
No, Combox has been disabled. I do not have emergency call service. Do you think this Bluetooth functionality still be activate? Appreciate if you can share your how-to steps. Cheers.
Bluetooth is part of the COMBOX functionality. If it's disabled it won't work. Why/how is it disabled?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #16
orca4wd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Bluetooth is part of the COMBOX functionality. If it's disabled it won't work. Why/how is it disabled?

The Combo box emergency service charges a monthly fees. BMW dealer went ahead and disabled it during a service call by my arrangement. They were going to refund a $200 telling me to patiently wait, but never honor it. I try to follow up with their customer services. One of their upper manager, Bernaddie, ID# 8858 basically don't want to honor this agreement despite it was written in a service document. This angry me, BMW operates on high degree of greed, not a reputable company in my mind. They don't back-up their products and recalls. For example, look at E84 issues with strength timing chain, failure on thermostat and FRM module are all deal on a case by case basis. This is my last BMW ever, will never purchase this brand. Instead, I would recommend Lexus where problems are handle in mass basis, fixing their mistakes/issues. Recently, purchased a 2017 Lexus CT200h, loving it so far. Anyway, kind of got off track but had to relief steams

Last edited by orca4wd; 08-29-2020 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #17
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The Combo box emergency service charges a monthly fees. BMW dealer went ahead and disabled it during a service call by my arrangement. They were going to refund a $200 telling me to patiently wait, but never honor it. I try to follow up with their customer services. One of their upper manager, Bernaddie, ID# 8858 basically don't want to honor this agreement despite it was written in a service document. This angry me, BMW operates on high degree of greed, not a reputable company in my mind. They don't back-up their products and recalls. For example, look at E84 issues with strength timing chain, failure on thermostat and FRM module are all deal on a case by case basis. This is my last BMW ever, will never purchase this brand. Instead, I would recommend Lexus where problems are handle in mass basis, fixing their mistakes/issues. Recently, purchased a 2017 Lexus CT200h, loving it so far. Anyway, kind of got off track but had to relief steams
Maybe just the TeleServices are cancelled? Hopefully the USB would still connect...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #18
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

If the combox was never upgraded from 2G like mine, the teleservice won’t work and the Connected drive app will be limited. I continue to use Bluetooth, usb, and the BMW apps. CarPlay would be really nice, I just haven't had time to do those available upgrades.

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #19
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
If the combox was never upgraded from 2G like mine, the teleservice won’t work
Other markets (like here in UK) still have 2G active (as the UK smart electric meter system uses it). So we still have TeleServices. Although it is slow...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #20
dajones89
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW F56

Just coded this today after following Sulphermans guidance, working well!!
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #21
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Are there any updates or easier way to enable ability to play music thru Bluetooth ?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #22
rameshr40
Registered
Rep
Drives: E84/E92

HI

So was able to modify MEDIA, but cannot find CIC ECU at all. I have a UK e84 X1 which is CIC. Any idea which ECU I need to modify

CIC

> A2DP_PROFILE to aktiv

Cannot find these setting
Appreciate 0