XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
Chris952
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Front License Plate (Sto n Sho)

Does anyone run the 'sto n sho' plate system on their vehicle? I am looking to maybe get one but none seem to specifically state they fit the E84 m sport bumper.

I tried a tow hook mount but it is not offset enough and blocks a PDC sensor so that looks like a no go.

Oddly enough there are two small holes in the front bumper but they are too wide for my plate so not sure what those are about (bought used).

Anybody have experience with the Sto n Sho on their E84 M sport bumper or any other good alternatives? Unfortunately I live in a city where the parking enforcement gives out tickets for this so really only need it when I park on the side of the street.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #2
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

I hate front plates. Also used, I had several set of holes and it looked like ass. I went to a body shop to get them filled and repainted. Upon inspection from the inside, it turned out the bumper had been damaged and should be replaced. I spent more than I planned, but the end result is outstanding.

I haven’t run a front plate for over 20 years in a state that requires one. In that time frame, no tickets. I was pulled over once in a much hotter looking sports car and the cop used that as an excuse to roust me, but no ticket. It’s like an unwritten law around here.

To me it’s worth the ticket over drilling into the bumper. The only other solutions I’m aware of you already mentioned.

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Chris952
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
I hate front plates. Also used, I had several set of holes and it looked like ass. I went to a body shop to get them filled and repainted. Upon inspection from the inside, it turned out the bumper had been damaged and should be replaced. I spent more than I planned, but the end result is outstanding.

I haven’t run a front plate for over 20 years in a state that requires one. In that time frame, no tickets. I was pulled over once in a much hotter looking sports car and the cop used that as an excuse to roust me, but no ticket. It’s like an unwritten law around here.

To me it’s worth the ticket over drilling into the bumper. The only other solutions I’m aware of you already mentioned.
Off topic but how do you like the BMS intake? Right now mine is stock and am maybe looking to do some small upgrades. Any downsides you have seen?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris952 View Post
Off topic but how do you like the BMS intake? Right now mine is stock and am maybe looking to do some small upgrades. Any downsides you have seen?
It’s awesome. Super easy, no issues and felt it right away. Even had it on for service at the dealership, no issue. I’m one of these guys who buys up mods and then never has time to install them. I’ve had a VRSF chargepipe, new rear wheels and other stuff sitting here for months. With the pandemic, my mileage is way way down. I’ve had to hookup the agm battery charger a couple of times now.

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0