06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
ALike others have said, if you wanted a Prius, you should have bought one, but if you don't know how to drive with a light foot, even that will get dissapointing mileage.
Enough with the Prius crap. I haven't heard anybody expecting unreasonable results, and I don't think it's necessary to insult people for expressing their disappointment. It's obvious that fuel mileage for the 2.0T is all over the place. I don't know the reason, but this engine just seems to be particularly inconsistent. But I'll say it again ... it's not necessarily the driver. I personally drive a lot of highway miles, and logging as many miles as I do I've learned to know what to expect on long trips vs EPA ratings. I'm just not getting the results I expected with the X1. Below is a list of my other recent/current cars and the actual vs EPA highway mileage.

Mazda6 wagon: Actual = 24-26 mpg (EPA highway = 24)
Murano: 22 (EPA 23)
G35 Coupe: 24-25 (EPA 23)
Forester: 25-27 (EPA 26)
Q5: 28-30 (27)

I'm averaging 27 to 29 mpg highway in the X1. I'm simply not accustomed to seeing 15-20% below EPA ratings. I don't have a right to be disappointed by that? The car goes in for its first service Friday, and I've asked them to look for issues that could be hurting fuel economy. But based on what many other owners are experiencing, I don't expect them to find anything. I think I'm just one of the unlucky ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Enough with the Prius crap. I haven't heard anybody expecting unreasonable results, and I don't think it's necessary to insult people for expressing their disappointment. It's obvious that fuel mileage for the 2.0T is all over the place. I don't know the reason, but this engine just seems to be particularly inconsistent. But I'll say it again ... it's not necessarily the driver. I personally drive a lot of highway miles, and logging as many miles as I do I've learned to know what to expect on long trips vs EPA ratings. I'm just not getting the results I expected with the X1. Below is a list of my other recent/current cars and the actual vs EPA highway mileage.

Mazda6 wagon: Actual = 24-26 mpg (EPA highway = 24)
Murano: 22 (EPA 23)
G35 Coupe: 24-25 (EPA 23)
Forester: 25-27 (EPA 26)
Q5: 28-30 (27)

I'm averaging 27 to 29 mpg highway in the X1. I'm simply not accustomed to seeing 15-20% below EPA ratings. I don't have a right to be disappointed by that? The car goes in for its first service Friday, and I've asked them to look for issues that could be hurting fuel economy. But based on what many other owners are experiencing, I don't expect them to find anything. I think I'm just one of the unlucky ones.
During one single test, even a short drive off the hwy to grab a sandwich then returning the route would hurt overall DISPLAYED-MPG heavily.... (from 33.6 to 31.6 in a 200mls test). Did you test exclusively on hwy driving?

Also low tire pressure, open windows, headwind would harm.

Lastly, did you notice if there's any elevation difference between the start line and finish line? It could be bloody.....say, climbing the hill while testing. I'm not familiar with Holland area
      06-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

LOL!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
I don't know the reason, but this engine just seems to be particularly inconsistent. But I'll say it again ... it's not necessarily the driver.
It's not necessarily not the driver, either. Some cars and engines show more variety based on driving than others do.

That my wife, who is very far from an aggressive driver gets about half the mileage that I do in the 35i leads me to believe that yes, it is the driver. If the 35i can show that big a difference, I would think the smaller engine 28i can show even more of a difference, given the same car.

And the conditions cars are driven under may vary too, which also isn't a fault of the vehicle.

Of course, there could be unknown reasons that only occur in some vehicles some of the time, but somehow I doubt it.
Introducing unknown reasons on top of the known reasons goes against Occam's razor.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

I started paying more attention to my mileage recently and admit it is not as good as I expected. But I have a roof rack on it and even without bikes, it affects the mileage a lot.

My thought is this, I bought a BMW for the driving experience and honestly don't care about the mileage that much. And yes, I drive a lot. I have had the car for 2.5 months and have 5,700 miles on it. Just put your foot in it and put a smile on your face.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #28
pbodifee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
I, for one am AMAZED at the economy and flexibility of the X1....great MPG when I want it, but very nice performance when I'm in the mood.
Forget beating the dead horse and not being allowed to save fuel when you buy BMW.... I for one reason took the X1 instead of waiting for an all electric car is it's ability to save on fuel when desired but still have a decent performing car.

But how? I want to hear from those who do true city driving (not the EPA sub-urban cycle) how they can achieve better then 20 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

I believe I do "true" city driving, in the heart of Los Angeles. I have the sDrive281. My morning commute is 18 miles (mostly open freeway, because I leave at 5:30am for the gym before work). Coming home, traffic is pretty bad. The rest of my driving is local/street driving. I have had exactly one longer trip since I got the X1, about 200 miles round trip. Otherwise - city driving, LA style.

So my trip computer - never reset - shows on approx. 8000 miles, average speed 33.5 and avg MPG 27.3. I am satisfied.

I think the xDrive28s seem to be the ones with a lot of variability...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
I believe I do "true" city driving, in the heart of Los Angeles. I have the sDrive281. My morning commute is 18 miles (mostly open freeway, because I leave at 5:30am for the gym before work). Coming home, traffic is pretty bad. The rest of my driving is local/street driving. I have had exactly one longer trip since I got the X1, about 200 miles round trip. Otherwise - city driving, LA style.
You may believe you do "true" city driving, but "mostly freeway" is nothing like what the EPA considers city driving. Nor is it anything like what the previous poster was getting at. If I understand him correctly, he was talking about normal streets with stop signs or stoplights every few blocks. This is even more severe than the EPA city cycle. It is also the same as my daily commute and I'm not getting close to 20 mpg either. I am now getting around 18 mpg for this type of driving. Not great but better than the 15-16 mpg I was getting when the car was new.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #31
kbass
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Are you guys calculating mileage using the on board computer or by dividing mileage driven by gallons of gas? Having to go from liters to gallons is a pain... But that is the most precise way of getting the mpg. I do not trust the computers in the car to give accurate readings.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post

So my trip computer - never reset - shows on approx. 8000 miles, average speed 33.5 and avg MPG 27.3. I am satisfied.

I think the xDrive28s seem to be the ones with a lot of variability...
Your morning commute in light traffic raises your average speed significantly. I do mostly city driving in the Detroit area and average about 29 mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Well I would guess that I am doing close to 50/50 on city/highway driving. The 18 mile morning commute Monday through Friday is highway, at speeds around 70. Takes me 20-22 minutes on average. Coming home the same route takes me 40-45, so that should show how bad traffic is then. A lot of crawling along, accelerating briefly and then slowing again, etc.

But the rest of my driving (shopping, errands, etc) is city streets, with the badly synchronized traffic lights and so on. And my residential area is full of stop signs.

So if it's fair to say I drive about 50/50 city/highway, I'm getting just around the EPA estimate of 28mpg overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Idk how you drive since x1 should be lighter than a x3 but I get at a least 330-380 miles on a tank of gas.Lol~
i get about 430-440 miles in a tant with my x1.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #35
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrdskynyrd803 View Post
Less in a 35i, obviously, but still around 350-400 miles, depending on driving. That's not bad at all. I can fuel the car for two weeks for less than a restaurant dinner costs.

But speaking of refueling... is it just the 35i that's extremely cautious and will tell you it's on the reserve when there's over a sixth of a tank left? I hear the DING, look, and think "On the reserve? With 70 estimated miles left?"
I can drive two days to and from work on that, and still not get near empty.
Or is it the fuel warning that's wrong (bad translation?), and that it's really NOT on the reserve, or anywhere near, but letting you know you might want to refuel soon?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #36
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Mine x28i get 360-380 miles, mostly city drive with 2-3 times 20 miles hwy drive. The tranny is built for hwy driving. Now that I get stuck in city life, I'd rather go wild in driving pattern and not worry about gas meter.
      06-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #37
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbass View Post
Are you guys calculating mileage using the on board computer or by dividing mileage driven by gallons of gas? Having to go from liters to gallons is a pain... But that is the most precise way of getting the mpg. I do not trust the computers in the car to give accurate readings.
I calculate my mileage manually, by dividing miles driven by gallons of gas added. For a full tank, the on-board computer is optimistic by about 0.5 mpg. People quoting the computer number for a 20 or 30 mile drive are fooling themselves. There is no way that is an accurate number.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #38
dmegeath
Rep
Drives: X1

On a driving trip from Sacramento to San Diego - down Hwy 99, up and over the Grapevine on I-5, then cut east on the Foothill Fwy to Rancho Cucamonga (80+ mph in the carpool lane!) and finally landing in San Diego - averaged 34 MPG by the trip computer - peaked over 36 while on the flat land from Sacramento to Bakersfield. I'm very happy with the economy and the go-fast capability of the N20 engine. 2013 X1 28i Sportline.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
That's Mostly Highway Driving
      06-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #40
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodifee View Post
Forget beating the dead horse and not being allowed to save fuel when you buy BMW.... I for one reason took the X1 instead of waiting for an all electric car is it's ability to save on fuel when desired but still have a decent performing car.

But how? I want to hear from those who do true city driving (not the EPA sub-urban cycle) how they can achieve better then 20 mpg.

Want better mileage in miserable stop and go L.A. style traffic? Buy a smaller, lighter, less powerful car. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodifee View Post

I think I qualify to be one of those who do true "city" driving as we live in the same city. Hope my numbers will make you feel "better".

My commute is only about 23 miles return daily and only 7 miles of that are over 60mph. I am in my 30th tank and avg speed is 24.8miles (40km), avg 22.1mpg (10.8L/100) by on board computer. My own calculation shows 20mpg (11.76L/100). That's right, not even getting the City EPA, off by 30% by my calculation, left alone the Hwy EPA. I am trying to change my driving style (coast more) and see if it makes any difference.

Vancouver might claimed to be a world class city but not when it comes to road system comparing to the US. Vancouver's highway speed (2 lane wide is common) isn't that high most of the time due to traffic, and those live in the city tends to just travel within the city to get all things done. All I really wanted was to high the city EPA.

Low file consumption surely should't be the main decision factor when one purchased a BMW. However, EPA to Performance ratio certainly is on most people's mind. I think it's fair to expect the vehicle to perform up to spec within a reasonable tolerance. I think the Prius drivers would also be unhappy if 0-60 takes 18 sec. even they never expect the car to fly.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #42
BE X
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d /X3 35i / R1200R

Want better mileage generally? Try this - pure-gas.org

Last edited by BE X; 06-21-2013 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: be sure to put the dash in there!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #43
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
Low file consumption surely should't be the main decision factor when one purchased a BMW. However, EPA to Performance ratio certainly is on most people's mind. I think it's fair to expect the vehicle to perform up to spec within a reasonable tolerance.
But the EPAs estimates are not specs.

They're measured after the fact, and are not numbers that manufacturers need to meet or approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
I think the Prius drivers would also be unhappy if 0-60 takes 18 sec. even they never expect the car to fly.
I know a couple of Prius drivers, and after the first month or so of feeling "best car ever", they're not as ecstatic as they were. They bought a car promising excellent fuel economy, decent acceleration, decent speed, decent cargo space, ok load capacity and ok handling.
And they got that; what they didn't understand, and what one of them still refuses to understand, was that it doesn't deliver all of that at the same time.

EPA classified the X1 as a mid-sized car, not an SUV, and not a sports car. They never tested it for occasional spirited driving, nor with load exceeding one skinny driver; both features you expect from the car, and which it's advertised for. And which you cannot have at the same time as good mileage.
If you think the numbers are off, complain to the EPA. Unless you think BMW cooked the numbers by delivering a "special" X1 version to EPA for testing, I cannot see what beef you would have against BMW or the X1.

tl;dr: If you're disappointed because of the mileage, you should be disappointed with the EPA, not with the car. It delivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #44
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
If you think the numbers are off, complain to the EPA. Unless you think BMW cooked the numbers by delivering a "special" X1 version to EPA for testing, I cannot see what beef you would have against BMW or the X1.

tl;dr: If you're disappointed because of the mileage, you should be disappointed with the EPA, not with the car. It delivers.
The EPA does not set the ratings you see on the Monroney label, and neither do they they verify the majority of the claims. The EPA provides the testing procedures and trusts the manufacturers to follow them and assign their own numbers. Only about 15% of vehicle models are actually tested by the EPA. So yes - speculation is that some manufacturers are gaming the procedures, with Hyundai and Ford receiving the most complaints. BMW initially attempted to give the F30 328 a highway rating of 36 or 37 mpg, but after validation testing the EPA forced them to lower it to 34. To my knowledge no such analysis took place on the X1. But common sense dictates that the X1 with more frontal area and a higher cd should not perform as well as the 3-Series. It's no surprise that 3-Series and 5-Series loaners I've had have both returned substantially better real world fuel economy.
Appreciate 0