XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
DanLewis
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black X1 28i X-Drive

Heater Blowers not comming on except for selecting Defrost only

So about two weeks ago my heater would just not come on, it was a really bad time for it as I needed the defroster after about 15 minutes it suddenly came on and was blowing fine. I bought a aftermarket ceramic heater in case I needed to defrost my windows and it did it again.

Well it did yesterday in the -50 windchill day but I discovered that if I select the defrost only it blows just fine but my feet freeze. The heater has not started blowing again since then I have defrost only. Anyone else have this issue? I was hoping its a fuse but how is it working in defrost?

BTW I have a 14 X-1 with the cold weather package so thankfully my heated seats and steering wheel helped. I also added a omegalink remote start so I can start it and let it heat up in the really cold weather.
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
MNX135I
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLewis View Post
So about two weeks ago my heater would just not come on, it was a really bad time for it as I needed the defroster after about 15 minutes it suddenly came on and was blowing fine. I bought a aftermarket ceramic heater in case I needed to defrost my windows and it did it again.

Well it did yesterday in the -50 windchill day but I discovered that if I select the defrost only it blows just fine but my feet freeze. The heater has not started blowing again since then I have defrost only. Anyone else have this issue? I was hoping its a fuse but how is it working in defrost?

BTW I have a 14 X-1 with the cold weather package so thankfully my heated seats and steering wheel helped. I also added a omegalink remote start so I can start it and let it heat up in the really cold weather.
View post on imgur.com
I am having the exact same issue. Any guidance would be appreciated 2014 x1 35i winter package
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

You battery is starting to loose it's capacity.
My battery is on the way out and anytime I leave it sitting or it gets we'll below freezing for a while this happens.
Drive it for a nice long trip with no heated seats on or wheel and the next time you start it up it should be fine. Or wait till it warms back up, or just get a new battery.
When it starts to get worse you'll get high battery discharge warnings, your tpms will start to fail, and comfort access won't work at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
MNX135I
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
You battery is starting to loose it's capacity.
My battery is on the way out and anytime I leave it sitting or it gets we'll below freezing for a while this happens.
Drive it for a nice long trip with no heated seats on or wheel and the next time you start it up it should be fine. Or wait till it warms back up, or just get a new battery.
When it starts to get worse you'll get high battery discharge warnings, your tpms will start to fail, and comfort access won't work at times.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Ha, she gave up today. I was trying to hump it along till the end of winter, didn't make it.
This morning my dash lit up like Chernobyl when. I tried to start it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

Just a heads-up on this: If you make a lot of short trips, a new battery probably won't solve your problem. I have this same problem every winter, and the new battery I had installed this summer did Absolutely Nothing to solve the problem.

The real problem is simple: BMW designed the charging system to focus on fuel economy - Even if the battery is going dead! I am amazed (and angered) every winter that they went to the effort of putting logic into the ECU which limits fan speeds when the battery is low - and when those higher fan speeds are most critical - rather than just telling the alternator to charge more aggressively. The "official" solution is to buy a trickle charger - and apparently leave your hatch open all night long or slam a power cord in the 5th door.

BTW, to the original poster: By turning on the heated seats and steering wheel, you unfortunately made the problem worse. I'm rather surprised that BMW doesn't disable those systems when the battery is low as well. But I understand why you did this. The first time I had this happen, I assumed the fan was broken. Never occurred to me that this sort of behavior would be designed in.

_Jeff
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
RXeckless
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xline

Angry Increased Battery Discharge

Same thing happen to mine after being park outside at the airport the last two week in these sub-zero temperatures. After the 45 minute drive home and sitting in my garage overnight out of the wind, it was fine the next day.

"BMW Increased Battery Discharge. BMW cars equipped with the intelligent charging system may display a warning message stating Increased Battery Discharge or High Battery Discharge. This problem often happens when you first start your BMW in the morning, especially during extremely cold weather."

2006 RX-8 GT GG (Sold), 2009 RX-8 R3 VR Red (Sold)
2013 BMW 135i Sport (Sold)

Last edited by RXeckless; 02-11-2019 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
MNX135I
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXeckless View Post
Same thing happen to mine after being park outside at the airport the last two week in these sub-zero temperatures. After the 45 minute drive home and sitting in my garage overnight out of the wind, it was fine the next day.

"BMW [COLOR="Red"]Increased Battery Discharge[/COLOR]. BMW cars equipped with the intelligent charging system may display a warning message stating Increased Battery Discharge or High Battery Discharge. This problem often happens when you first start your BMW in the morning, especially during extremely cold weather."

Changed my battery. Problem solved. Old one was starting to go...
Appreciate 0