Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
xcougar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sparkling graphite

Rear gate open warning on-what lube to use

Hello,
I have a 2015 X1. Past 10 days the yellow "rear gate open" graphical warning comes up in the middle of the dashboard. There is nothing around the hook at the bottom or the latching part. It seems to close, my theory is the rotating latch does not turn enough to close a sensor.

The latch seems a little gritty. I think it could use a grease job, while how to clean in there before lubing is not obvious. If I try to push the piece back or forth a few milimeters it feels a little high friction.

The other reason I suspect the rotating latch is too high friction: ever since I got this car from the previous owner the rear gate takes a long press compared to what I am used to on an E90, longer by say a full second. If I am wrong there will likely be some expensive electrical work.

I have some "Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease (VV986)", is that a reasonable lube for the latch? I also have some spray lubes (not wd-40, but a not well known one I need to look up).

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Spray silicone or maybe WD-40.
Appreciate 0