XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
JPunterminse
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1 i28

2012 x1 turbo issues. please help!

So we bought this car from what turned out to be a truly horrible dealership. A few hours after we bought it, as we drove home from the city, the check engine light comes on.

So I scanned the car and it said there was a misfire in cylinders 1 and 4. we took it to a shop and they said the turbo was putting too much air into the fuel mixture. Then the garbage dealership did some awful work on it, and replaced some turbo valves and what not, and afterward it was worse than ever... we have brought it back to them 4 times. they bought a used turbo from somewhere and then put some parts into our turbo eventually.

finally they agreed to take it to bmw and have it diagnosed. BMW found out that the dealership had not attached intake hose and another hose or whatever at the exhaust end after having worked on it. so they figured that would fix the problem. they scanned the car and it threw no codes.
then on the way home the check engine light comes on. Bmw tells us that they want to try a software upgrade next. it costs 300 canadian bucks.

will this actually fix this? Can i just apply this upgrade myself on the 2012?

Check engine light happens when you don't give it hard acceleration but just speed up normally. usually only if you are going up to highway speeds. at around 80 or so kms it will come on. once the check engine light is on it cuts off all power to the turbo and the car is completely gutless.

PLEASE HELP!!! This has been driving us nuts and it seems like no shops can figure out what is going on!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Can you say other than it’s triggering a check engine light what the actual codes are that a scan is reporting?

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Did your used car stealership provide you with any warranty? As these woes happened shortly after your possession they should offer to pick up the repair costs.
BMW should be able to read the codes as part of their diagnostics.
Appreciate 0