XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Flugtechnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

BMW Brings the Ugly

Why BMW, Why? Was the CS concept not your low point?

Behold the X6 (via WorldCarFans)

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Disagree. Get used to the CS Concept- it is an idea platform for future BMW designs, that are already popping up on the next Z4.
Check out the CS-like grille and front fender treatment.
The X6 is a different design vocabulary- Bangled brutalism.
May not appeal to you- and I respect that, but this is where they're taking the SUV-look: towards coupe and haul-ass. & I love it.

Thanks for posting the new pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I like it to...it adds others besides moms into the SAV Market
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

How is it Ugly :iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Flugtechnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Disagree. Get used to the CS Concept- it is an idea platform for future BMW designs, that are already popping up on the next Z4.
Check out the CS-like grille and front fender treatment.
I did like some of the design features on the CS like the grill (looks mean). But those chargeresque rear fenders are horrid. Parts of the X6 speak to me as they remind me of the 3series and even parts of the 1er. If you just saw a picture of the rear quarterpanel, you might think it was a 1er with the aspect ratio off. But the whole thing looks so mangled (rhymes with Bangled?) jumbled and bloated that it just doesn't seem right. The slope of the rear deck doesn't impart a sense of strength like an SUV should.

Also, those front wheel wells are HUGE. They are higher than the rear ones which looks totally goofy. The X5 looks alot better with big fat wheels on it. Maybe this will too.

I'm glad somebody likes it.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

I guess Chris Bangle Y amigos really can take ugly to an über level.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep

Cut these guys some slack...the 3 and 5 get the pureed design- boiled down to essence. Very conservative design applications.

the Z4 and X6...are just the perfect forums to get a little jiggy.
I think in order for the conceptual foundation of Bangleness to grow they have to have these models to stretch the limits so that when it's time to do a more sedate MOR design there's new ideas to bring in.

I'm beginning to be weary of the brutal beast thing- but it's playing out nicely in the X6.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

I also like the X6. They got rid of everything I don't like about SUV's (particularly the X series). I agree that the front wheel wells are probably the worst looking part of the car... something seems off. But overall I think both the X6 and CS are cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

So can someone PLEASE explain to me why someone would need a vehicle like the X6?

A nice, well desgined sporting hatch/wagon has the practicality of an SUV and the dynamics of a coupe. On the other hand, it seems to me that this X6 is a vehicle that combines the dynamics of an SUV and practicality of a coupe.

Frankly, I think this car will take the crown of the ultimate poser machine off of the 6 series without breaking a sweat.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
So can someone PLEASE explain to me why someone would need a vehicle like the X6?

A nice, well desgined sporting hatch/wagon has the practicality of an SUV and the dynamics of a coupe. On the other hand, it seems to me that this X6 is a vehicle that combines the dynamics of an SUV and practicality of a coupe.

Frankly, I think this car will take the crown of the ultimate poser machine off of the 6 series without breaking a sweat.
Oh no doubt this is BMW's premium pose-mobile- but I've always had a soft spot for over-the-top design- in just about any form.
This celebrates showy, loud, garish with a big helping of selfishness and narcissism.

I would 100x rather see this than a button down design that plays to the US's Calvinist ethic of denial, intolerance, conformity, and status-quo...

In a real sense, like you've said, this is about correctly identifying a specific type of consumer.

And this is crucial because some of the people here really don't "get" BMW design. I think that most of those people are after just the performance- but the design, the way the car looks is sooooo deliberate, a reflection, and that's not really the proper term- its a signifier of the car's character. I do think some of you have a hard time coming to grips with the way things...new things look if they aren't conservative. What it means to me, is that you don't really like BMW's but you'll hold your nose and get one anyway because it performs so well.
Get an Audi.
:biggrin::roundel::roundel::biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
I would 100x rather see this than a button down design that plays to the US's Calvinist ethic of denial, intolerance, conformity, and status-quo...
Hey Brookside, Hobbes just asked, "Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?" ; -)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Hey Brookside, Hobbes just asked, "Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?" ; -)
The way is open for some manufacturer to make fast premium rwd cars that are conservatively designed.

Bangle talks about the X6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t3mlzzfTKo
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #13
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Oh no doubt this is BMW's premium pose-mobile- but I've always had a soft spot for over-the-top design- in just about any form.
This celebrates showy, loud, garish with a big helping of selfishness and narcissism.

In a real sense, like you've said, this is about correctly identifying a specific type of consumer.

And this is crucial because some of the people here really don't "get" BMW design. I think that most of those people are after just the performance- but the design, the way the car looks is sooooo deliberate, a reflection, and that's not really the proper term- its a signifier of the car's character. I do think some of you have a hard time coming to grips with the way things...new things look if they aren't conservative. What it means to me, is that you don't really like BMW's but you'll hold your nose and get one anyway because it performs so well.
Get an Audi.
:biggrin::roundel::roundel::biggrin:
What's very interesting to me is that Bangle designs are very well received by both the art-connoisseur types and the general public. (which is usually an odd pairing) No wonder Bangle is so successful, as he seems to get the respect from the design community, and his designs sell very well despite the outrage from magazines and internet forums.

The only group of people that don't seem to like his design are regular car enthusiasts, including most auto journalists. I'm guessing it's because his designs do not, despite being both innovative (which appeal to the artsy folks) and flashy (which appeal to folks who shell out the extra dough to get a BMW), conform to the traditional idea of a beautiful car. (Aston Martins, for instance)

I have a certain amount of respect for what he does, as clearly the man is clever and creative. But ultimately I feel that a car doesn't have to make a statement, or be a showcase of human creativity for the sake of creativity. Despite all the interesting details and surface entertainment, most of the Bangle designs fail to be truly desirable in my eyes. I guess I just don't "get" it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #14
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The way is open for some manufacturer to make fast premium rwd cars that are conservatively designed.
Actually, isn't Hyundai planning something for in a couple years...

The Genesis or something like that?:iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Genesis will be Hyundai's big RWD saloon - there'll be a RWD coupe on the same platform. Evidently nobody remembers Toyota's failed youth-market project called 'genesis' - Toyota flopped with that one - but you have to give them credit - they keep plugging away and Scion is big.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I found myself looking at the X6 for a good hour on GCZ last night..wow. I think this thing is going to be great!! Its so different. The back reminds me of the batmobile. I dont know why!! I loove it!
      09-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #17
xanthopoulos
Rep
Drives:

I think that this company's greatness rests in the execution of different ideas and designs in various directions.

This is the closest thing to the X6 in the market right now, and it does look like a piece of sh!t... I have no doubt that it drives like one,too.

I am sure that people will go crazy about the X6 when it comes out, lovers and haters.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #18
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

IMO X6 is a great looking car. I hate the current boxy SUV look
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #19
Brookside
Major
Rep

UGLY GO FAAAAST!

Here's a little teaser video (re-post) of a heavily disguised X6.

Check out how well it handles the entrance into the intersection.:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF2APiDZwaY

Also- a very recent photo sans fat-suit. It's looking better- once the tent structure is taken off the roof we'll have a final profile.
That's when the real contoversy begins
:biggrin::eyebulge::biggrin:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #20
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Looks like a stupid Infinity FX to me...blah...Bangle doesn't even personally design most of the vehicle I thought, just staff under him typically take control of a project?!?!
Appreciate 0