XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Arrrrmatey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 135is

Significance of LeMans Blue color for BMW

What is the significance of the LeMans blue for BMW and/or M-Cars? I have been looking around the forums/internet and it seems like many make reference to lemans blue and the M-car history, but I can not find the exact tie-in. The M-car tri color is (lt blue, purple, red), so I do not think that is it. The most early reference I can find to the color is early Corvettes ('68,'69). Any info or helpful links will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Blue is the color of the ocean. The Le Mans happens on land, which is surrounded by what? Oh yeah, the ocean. So hence, Le Mans blue. True story.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Not anything specific about Le Mans (that I know of). Many of the BMW color names are derived from race tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Not anything specific about Le Mans (that I know of). Many of the BMW color names are derived from race tracks.
This.

There is no significance between BMW and Lemans Blue. BMW have associated many colours with famous race tracks, they might have chosen Lemans for a blue colour, because, blue was/is the old traditional colour for French race teams, like green was to British teams, and red to Italian teams etc.
There's also, Monaco Blue.

Other BMW colours with track circuit/motorsport venue names include, Melbourne Red, Imola Red, Silverstone, Valencia Orange, Estoril Blue, Laguna Seca Blue, Dakar Yellow and many others that I can't immediately remember off the top of my head......

Back in the early 1970's, Ford-Europe did a similar thing with colour names, such as Monza Blue, Daytona Yellow, Sebring Red, Lemans Green, Modena Green etc.