XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #2443
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Shoulders/Biceps this morning. Had Back/triceps yesterday. Both days were solid lifts. Strength is a little stagnant right now. I haven't been on the scale in a good while, need to see where I'm at. Debating getting back on creatine, have been off for a few months now. Need to order some protein as well, have been out for a little while now as well. Not really looking to bulk, but it's a low calorie source of protein. Want to add the creatine in just to see what happens while I progress with my cut.

Update, ordered some protein. 100 scoops for $37 (plus $5 for shipping), not bad at all! - MyProtein for anyone wondering has a protein sale going on right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #2444
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Gym is my phone-free zone, even when I'm on call

Made two morning visits this extended weekend while wife was at work. Gym is closed on Sunday

Chest day I was surprised with an extra 25 plate on smiths. Fatigued nicely at the end

Ran 5k last night because I needed to install a printer for pops. Want to go tonight but wife's aunt dropped off her paperwork so we can figure out why when her home loan got sold her escrow account/insurance payment got dropped
      08-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #2445
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Shoulders/Biceps this morning. Had Back/triceps yesterday. Both days were solid lifts. Strength is a little stagnant right now. I haven't been on the scale in a good while, need to see where I'm at. Debating getting back on creatine, have been off for a few months now. Need to order some protein as well, have been out for a little while now as well. Not really looking to bulk, but it's a low calorie source of protein. Want to add the creatine in just to see what happens while I progress with my cut.

Update, ordered some protein. 100 scoops for $37 (plus $5 for shipping), not bad at all! - MyProtein for anyone wondering has a protein sale going on right now.

Speak of the devil - I changed protein powders recently - wow what a difference that can make!

I was buying cheap stuff - Cellucor Whey Protein, and it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

Yesterday my order arrived, this: https://www.amazon.com/Vanilla-Daily.../dp/B00G7HABUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #2446
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Speak of the devil - I changed protein powders recently - wow what a difference that can make!

I was buying cheap stuff - Cellucor Whey Protein, and it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

Yesterday my order arrived, this: https://www.amazon.com/Vanilla-Daily.../dp/B00G7HABUY
Sheesh! That is too rich for my blood haha. I don't know if I have ever really sat down and compared whether one protein worked better or not for me. I like MyProtein because it is just basic as it gets not to mention cheap!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #2447
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Sheesh! That is too rich for my blood haha. I don't know if I have ever really sat down and compared whether one protein worked better or not for me. I like MyProtein because it is just basic as it gets not to mention cheap!
Quote:
Quote:

I found it for $20 - this is just the link I used. Its a cleaner protein prob with more bcaa's is my guess. If you can find it for less definitely try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #2448
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I found it for $20 - this is just the link I used. Its a cleaner protein prob with more bcaa's is my guess. If you can find it for less definitely try it!
$20 isn't bad at all, I'll keep my eye out for it. Usually browse Amazon every so often, so might find it on sale.

Lifted Legs this morning. Had some tightness in my left hip, so it was a lighter day, with that said it was fast paced and still a solid workout. I typically finish my leg days with 15 mins on the stair master, after that my legs are like jello lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:26 AM   #2449
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

So that AirPHX thing I mentioned my gym is using....well....it's not working now. The other day I saw one of the status lights on it indicating red. Which of course isn't good. Now the box is totally shut off. I guess they're waiting for it to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:34 AM   #2450
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
So that AirPHX thing I mentioned my gym is using....well....it's not working now. The other day I saw one of the status lights on it indicating red. Which of course isn't good. Now the box is totally shut off. I guess they're waiting for it to be fixed.
Well that was short lived... Notice any difference in air quality lol?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #2451
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well that was short lived... Notice any difference in air quality lol?
Yeah. At least that ozone smell is gone in the area it was running.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #2452
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Started back in Creatine Saturday. Feel like I am holding a ton of water right now and have been eating like a horse. Planning on a little vacation next month, so now I have something to shoot for so thats good. Will probably keep the calories moderate for the next week or so then start to drop them down as the vacation nears.

Lifted legs this morning. Back & abs Saturday, and Shoulders/triceps yesterday. Body feels overall solid rather then being pretty wore across the board.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #2453
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Hit back/tri last night, felt GOOD and strong. Left a wet mess. Pulling weight that was pretty close to a "heavy" set, yet still getting 12 reps for 6 sets.

Woke up this morning all tingly, thinking it was the result of the lift: blood was 76
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #2454
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Worked out with hot chick from gym last night I'm sore today must have went harder than normal trying to impress
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #2455
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Are you guys actually seeing benefits from supplements? I'm built a bit different from most, naturally build muscle easily...I've tried months of creatine which did nothing but added water weight and made me look soft...then months of protein...did nothing at all...and then I've gone entire months with absolutely nothing aside from my normal diet and build significant strength while overall mass/weight has improved. BCAA's...maybe help recovery? I dunno...my back hurts all the time so the only thing that helps there I've found is Celebrex (Don't laugh it actually works!)

Aside from preworkout which is a must for my 430am workouts, I've found everything else to be a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #2456
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Are you guys actually seeing benefits from supplements? I'm built a bit different from most, naturally build muscle easily...I've tried months of creatine which did nothing but added water weight and made me look soft...then months of protein...did nothing at all...and then I've gone entire months with absolutely nothing aside from my normal diet and build significant strength while overall mass/weight has improved. BCAA's...maybe help recovery? I dunno...my back hurts all the time so the only thing that helps there I've found is Celebrex (Don't laugh it actually works!)

Aside from preworkout which is a must for my 430am workouts, I've found everything else to be a waste of money.
I agree with you. Supplements are over hyped and I don't think they play a major role in building strength and muscle. I was off all supplements for a good few months there, and made some pretty solid strides. The fitness industry in general is basically a scam, supplements that are proven to work are banned. All about having a solid diet in place and getting in the gym enough. I get up around the same time for the gym as you, just coffee for me though.

With that said, I did get back on protein and creatine on Saturday. Holding so much water, I'm dying lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #2457
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Are you under the constant care of a physician? Did your doctor prescribed Celebrex explicitly for your back pain? Are you having blood work done to monitor things?

Why I'm bringing this up is because I was using Celebrex. Not for arthritic or pain issues. There have been some discussion for cancer treatment that aspirin has benefits. Celebrex falls into a similar category as aspirin in how it works on tumor cell receptors making chemo more effective. Well that's the theory. There was a clinical trial where patients were studied using Celebrex along with FOLFOX6 to see if there was any benefit.

I got onto Celebrex when I went on chemo. Because I was having my blood drawn frequently for testing, my doc was able to see my liver enzymes shoot up. I had to be pulled off of Celebrex because of the potential liver damage. I was only on it for 2 weeks or so. It sucked because my insurance wouldn't cover my use of Celebrex for cancer treatment so I had to pay $368 for a month and half supply of the drug; ending up flushing that $368 down the toilet. Plus who knows what the long term benefits would have been had I was able to stay on it.

Just giving this as a friendly warning as your situation is different than mine along with your dosage is probably different. But make sure you check into having a liver function test done if one hasn't been done for you yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #2458
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you under the constant care of a physician? Did your doctor prescribed Celebrex explicitly for your back pain? Are you having blood work done to monitor things?

Why I'm bringing this up is because I was using Celebrex. Not for arthritic or pain issues. There have been some discussion for cancer treatment that aspirin has benefits. Celebrex falls into a similar category as aspirin in how it works on tumor cell receptors making chemo more effective. Well that's the theory. There was a clinical trial where patients were studied using Celebrex along with FOLFOX6 to see if there was any benefit.

I got onto Celebrex when I went on chemo. Because I was having my blood drawn frequently for testing, my doc was able to see my liver enzymes shoot up. I had to be pulled off of Celebrex because of the potential liver damage. I was only on it for 2 weeks or so. It sucked because my insurance wouldn't cover my use of Celebrex for cancer treatment so I had to pay $368 for a month and half supply of the drug; ending up flushing that $368 down the toilet. Plus who knows what the long term benefits would have been had I was able to stay on it.

Just giving this as a friendly warning as your situation is different than mine along with your dosage is probably different. But make sure you check into having a liver function test done if one hasn't been done for you yet.
Thank you for the warning! Yes I am taking it under observation with an NP and we took blood before starting with the expectation I'll be back in 6 months for follow up (4 months from now).

However, I did voluntarily discontinue Celebrex two weeks ago because I learned of an interaction with another medication I'm taking which increases the risk of stomach ulcers. I only found this out because I developed one...which was not fun.

I didn't mention this because it was specifically a drug interaction risk which may not be the case for others.

I have arthritis in my lower back and significantly injured it a couple of years ago dead lifting. It did truly help with that pain but unfortunately a day after stopping Celebrex it's back.

If safe to take based on blood results, I would still highly recommend it for the relief it provided. I would certainly honor this advice though on making sure blood work validates if safe for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #2459
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I did the newb thing in the beginning and bought all kinds of supplements. I learned the hard and expensive way. The only supplements I take now are whey protein (mostly just to ensure that I get enough protein each day, my eating schedule and caloric restriction is not for the faint of heart), caffeine (mostly pre-workout) and creatine and I'm considering stopping the creatine for a while.

I don't notice that I'm holding much water weight, but it does make me wonder how much of my weight is water weight due to creatine usage.

Narrowing down on my 12 week cut. Technically I'm supposed to end this cycle on the 15th but I may go another 2 -4 weeks beyond to get super lean before I start my bulk.

I feel like I have a pretty good mind set going in to this bulk. This will be the 3rd bulk cycle for me and honestly I feel like the first one doesn't count. Technically still a newb at all this; it's only been 1 1/2 years since I started going to gym. My game plan is to increase my calories by 50-75 kcal/day and reduce cardio to 2 days/week, (most likely my days off from lifting) until the scales stop moving, then add another 50-75 kcal/day until the scales stop moving.....rinse and repeat until I'm at my 2500 kcal/day. Aside from lowering protein and increasing carbs in my macros, what other advice do you gents have on bulking?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #2460
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I did the newb thing in the beginning and bought all kinds of supplements. I learned the hard and expensive way. The only supplements I take now are whey protein (mostly just to ensure that I get enough protein each day, my eating schedule and caloric restriction is not for the faint of heart), caffeine (mostly pre-workout) and creatine and I'm considering stopping the creatine for a while.

I don't notice that I'm holding much water weight, but it does make me wonder how much of my weight is water weight due to creatine usage.

Narrowing down on my 12 week cut. Technically I'm supposed to end this cycle on the 15th but I may go another 2 -4 weeks beyond to get super lean before I start my bulk.

I feel like I have a pretty good mind set going in to this bulk. This will be the 3rd bulk cycle for me and honestly I feel like the first one doesn't count. Technically still a newb at all this; it's only been 1 1/2 years since I started going to gym. My game plan is to increase my calories by 50-75 kcal/day and reduce cardio to 2 days/week, (most likely my days off from lifting) until the scales stop moving, then add another 50-75 kcal/day until the scales stop moving.....rinse and repeat until I'm at my 2500 kcal/day. Aside from lowering protein and increasing carbs in my macros, what other advice do you gents have on bulking?
Any reasoning behind lowering protein? Increasing carbs is good, but make sure your fat macros go up as well. Just don't get cold feet through your bulk. A lot of times people will start to grow, and sometimes in areas they don't want, then immediately go back into dropping calories. Gotta attack it at full speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #2461
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the warning! Yes I am taking it under observation with an NP and we took blood before starting with the expectation I'll be back in 6 months for follow up (4 months from now).

However, I did voluntarily discontinue Celebrex two weeks ago because I learned of an interaction with another medication I'm taking which increases the risk of stomach ulcers. I only found this out because I developed one...which was not fun.

I didn't mention this because it was specifically a drug interaction risk which may not be the case for others.

I have arthritis in my lower back and significantly injured it a couple of years ago dead lifting. It did truly help with that pain but unfortunately a day after stopping Celebrex it's back.

If safe to take based on blood results, I would still highly recommend it for the relief it provided. I would certainly honor this advice though on making sure blood work validates if safe for you.
Ok. Great you're being monitored. But I would ask for another blood test as my liver enzymes shot up over a span of a couple of weeks. Don't know when the last time you had taken Celebrex. If you've been off of it for a while, I would hold off on the blood test. Because my liver enzymes pretty much dropped back to normal rather quickly after stopping.

The stomach ulcers make sense as that's also an issue with taking high doses of aspirin.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #2462
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Great you're being monitored. But I would ask for another blood test as my liver enzymes shot up over a span of a couple of weeks. Don't know when the last time you had taken Celebrex. If you've been off of it for a while, I would hold off on the blood test. Because my liver enzymes pretty much dropped back to normal rather quickly after stopping.

The stomach ulcers make sense as that's also an issue with taking high doses of aspirin.
Well I'm glad you mentioned this as my Bilirubin was high before starting (2.1, ref range 0-1.2)...granted it's always been high for me but sounds like a risk I may not want to take without closer monitoring.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #2463
yahh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / V10 R8 / Lotus Elise

Just getting into the gym for the first time in my life (for lifting) at age 28 . I've always had a slim build (grew up playing soccer) and maintained a pretty good weight 6'3" ~180. Since moving away from my apartment in the city near the river a few years ago, I've stopped running, but still drinking and eating carelessly. I hit 220 lbs during covid and I've decided to start going to the gym regularly. I'm about 5 weeks in and I got at least 4 days a week focusing pretty much solely on lifting vs cardio. Starting to see some real results has been motivating. However, I am having trouble with deadlifts, any of you taller guys out there have similar issues? I just can't get the motions down and I feel like my legs are always in the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #2464
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahh View Post
Just getting into the gym for the first time in my life (for lifting) at age 28 . I've always had a slim build (grew up playing soccer) and maintained a pretty good weight 6'3" ~180. Since moving away from my apartment in the city near the river a few years ago, I've stopped running, but still drinking and eating carelessly. I hit 220 lbs during covid and I've decided to start going to the gym regularly. I'm about 5 weeks in and I got at least 4 days a week focusing pretty much solely on lifting vs cardio. Starting to see some real results has been motivating. However, I am having trouble with deadlifts, any of you taller guys out there have similar issues? I just can't get the motions down and I feel like my legs are always in the way.
Can't comment too much on the deadlifts for taller people as I'm only 5' 10". 1MOREMOD may be able to comment, I believe he is taller and deadlifts frequently.

Good that you're getting into the gym though, set yourself a goal and keep after it!
Appreciate 0