Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp Package

X1 Sdrive 2.8i high mileage reliability?

Looking for any information that can help me understand any long term reliability issues affecting our cars. My X1 currently has 90,000 miles on it and is running well. My mechanic has suggested I sell the car stating that he's seeing issues with all the 4 cyl turbos. He's a personal friend that works for BMW as a master technician so I tend to trust him.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Kevman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 x30i

156k runs like new, never any problems.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

The timing chain issue is certainly a concern, but personally I'm waiting to see what comes out of the lawsuit that "should" be settled sometime next month.

My hope is that as a part of the settlement they extend the warranty coverage beyond the current 7 years / 70K miles.

I'm not massively concerned, but this will play a factor in how long I hold on to my X1 for. I'm currently good until the end of July.
      02-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis1 View Post
Looking for any information that can help me understand any long term reliability issues affecting our cars. My X1 currently has 90,000 miles on it and is running well. My mechanic has suggested I sell the car stating that he's seeing issues with all the 4 cyl turbos. He's a personal friend that works for BMW as a master technician so I tend to trust him.

What do you guys think?
Not sure what to think. Your mechanic should definitely know what he's talking about, though. We have 78K miles on our 2015 and have had no issues. It's been making a slight rattling sound though which our mechanic said is the turbo, presumably loose in some way. Our shop didn't seem to be concerned about it.

I was originally hesitant to buy a turbo'd vehicle. I prefer NA motors for their simpler operation, but that wasn't option when we bought our X1 used at 50K miles. Modern turbo'd vehicles are supposed to be much more relaible than the 80's and 90's versions, so I'm hopefully we won't have any real issues. Also it's my wife's vehicle and we garage it and drive it conservatively. Guess we'll see what the future holds.

Please update your thread if you find out anything else, OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
The timing chain issue is certainly a concern, but personally I'm waiting to see what comes out of the lawsuit that "should" be settled sometime next month.

My hope is that as a part of the settlement they extend the warranty coverage beyond the current 7 years / 70K miles.

I'm not massively concerned, but this will play a factor in how long I hold on to my X1 for. I'm currently good until the end of July.
How will the information of this lawsuit get sent to owners? Is there a website where we can track this?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis1 View Post
How will the information of this lawsuit get sent to owners? Is there a website where we can track this?
There's a thread on the F30 forum that I've started following.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899
      03-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
rxpapa
Rep
Drives: ‘14 BMW X1 28i, ‘04 Honda S2K

I have 185k miles on my 2014 X1 2.0 engine. The turbo wastegate is worn out so I am replacing that (repair kit is available) or maybe replacing the complete turbo. Otherwise I have had no significant issues.
Appreciate 0