Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-29-2016, 01:37 AM   #1
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Would you switch to an F25 x3?

I've had a loaner F25 x328 for 5 days while our X1 went in for service and maintenance and I have to say, things that I previously thought were "cons" of the F platform I have come around to understand
  • Lighter steering at low speeds. Great for parking lot maneuvers and steering weighted up at higher speeds
  • Soft suspension. We were a lot more comfortable on long drives than in the X1
  • heavier. But great soundproofing and tons more interior space!

I could really see us replacing the X1 with an x3. I would miss the hydraulic steering and the old school sporty suspension tuning,but in the end, I think I would end up with a better family hauler.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Possibly. Though I think I would rather keep the X1 as a fun car and get something like an Outback as a family hauler to use for trips. That way you can beat on the hauler physically and don't care too much if you damage the interior with skis or something.

And then the X1 could even be traded for an M235... :-D
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

I couldn't do it, I hate big cars. Even the X1 is a little out of my comfort level.
If I were to go bigger, I'd probably look at used RR Evoque's.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
I couldn't do it, I hate big cars. Even the X1 is a little out of my comfort level.
+1. I have no need for a car/suv/cuv/thing larger than the X1 yet. The X3 compromises on performance in a way that would make me just do the X5 instead

Worthy of mention is that only the LCI F25 X3's have phenomenal sound deadening. The pre-LCI F25 X3's build quality is actually kinda bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
+1. I have no need for a car/suv/cuv/thing larger than the X1 yet. The X3 compromises on performance in a way that would make me just do the X5 instead

Worthy of mention is that only the LCI F25 X3's have phenomenal sound deadening. The pre-LCI F25 X3's build quality is actually kinda bad.
Ah, good to know on the LCI F25. The one we drove was a fairly new 2016 and it felt more like an f10 5er than an f30 3er

The performance tradeoff is an interesting one. I used to always land on the side of more performance MOAR POWER... I think embracing the compromise and going x328d or x535d or 40e is actually really interesting right now...

With the car loaded up with dog and stuff it's not like I was attacking the mountain roads going up to big bear anyway. The n55 and sportier suspension of our X1 would have been unused and in the case of the suspension it would have made the trip worse/less comfortable. The slow x3 didn't feel slow in part throttle situations and had good power going uphill and it was SO COMFY and QUIET

I like where you are going vstolpner with replacing X1 with outback and 235.. might as well specializ your cars... if you purpose that thinking, how about going all the way and instead of 235 get an e86 z4m or c6z06 or 997S some other purpose built sports car
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

The X3 was part of our selection too however brief it was. Oddly externally it is so big vs the X1. However internally it's not much more than the X1. Anyway coming from a history of sporty wagons like the WRX wagon (stage II), Mazda6 GT wagon it was tough to accept a large appliance for a family hauler.

Granted we are not the oversize North America family. Want to keep to an efficient road footprint. 80% of our trips uses less than 50% of the X1's cargo area. We have a hitch at the rear. Might look into a roof rack system for long road trips.

We'd probably hit the Allroad and 3-Touring after the X1. I count myself very fortunate to be able to snag what is the last of the classic dynamic BMWs as this company marches towards mass appealing luxury appliances. It's not always about acceleration that mfg is trying to mask for their million pound luxo-barges. The steering feel, chassis interaction and suspension work culminates to a grin inducing "man can I do this again?!" drive vs. "let's just get there" drive.

The E84 has that good 'ol BMW Joie de vivre that makes us smile even if it is a trip to the grocery store. I do secretly envy my wife as it is her DD and look forward to the weekends where I get to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Good points Gamb1t. I too came from a modded wrx wagon and loved it.

When it was just me and my wife road tripping we could do it in a Z4 type of car. Now with a 45lb dog and associated stuff (e.g. Like a human kid but dog crate instead of stroller) suddenly even an X1 feels cramped.

Today I had to put in some moving boxes into the X1 and those extra few inches of space in the x3 would have helped a lot. I completely get that I have loaded moving boxes 3 times in last 7 yr so it's dumb to plan around that use case, but still....

The other thing that has started to bug me is that at almost 4000lb the X1 is pretty porky and the limits are low due to all season tires and high ride height anyway, so I don't think there is much "return" for the stiffer ride. At least in an m car like f80 there is actually a beast underneath the family hauler veneer

Hmm. I am starting to sound like I'm justifying getting rid of our X1. That's not the case. It's staying and we still love it
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I don't know what I want anymore. the car is fun but I would never go to a bigger SUV. I, like others, don't like SUV's there is no fun factor.

I have used mine for 3 people comfortably snowboarding with all the equipment and that's fine since there are only 3 of us.

however, my kid today was saying that he doesn't have much room in the back with his snowboard boots on...I do have a truck if I want to go out to the mountains, but no fun factor.

if I were to get something bigger, it would have to be a sedan with a decent trunk, back seat and fold down seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
For me it's not so much that I hate big cars (our Pilot is great for family usage), but that I was looking for a small commuter.

At the time I bought my X1 I would have considered the X3, as my wife preferred the larger size. But in the end we went with my first choice (it also helped that the X3 would have cost a fair amount more). After having the X1 for more than a year now, there is no way that I would consider an X3. The X1 is just so versatile and fun.

I certainly could not see myself taking an X3 to the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Haha it would be interesting to see how F25 does on the track. I did a little bit of Dsc off driving and it seems to lean a bit but rotates nicely. Maybe it wouldn't be all that bad? (....wishful thinking)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #11
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

It's all personal preference. I drive a '13 X1 35i m-sport. Dad drives a '14 x3 28i. I've spent a fair amount of time shuttling my aging parents around town in both. The x3 is more comfortable for 3 adults. The interior is appreciably more spacious without being a big SUV. The X1 rattles and creaks. X3 doesn't.

I'm single, still a bit adventurous and prefer my X1. Plenty of room for the dog, various adventure gear, and big enough for two big dudes on a long-ish road trip. Performance on spirited drives is amazing. Never found the hydraulic steering to be too heavy. Passengers always.comment how smooth the ride feels (even though I feel every bump, which I find odd.) Haven't driven the x3 on the highway or on twisty roads. Imagine it's ok, probably more comfortable on the open road. Mom thinks comfort mode is too loose and had a bad experience driving on a mountain highway (lost control for a sec but gathered it up--leadfoot granny style.)

So whatever floats your boat...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

The back seat legroom is really the limiting factor of the X1. If you carry people in back regularly, even kids, it might be better to go with the X3.

My X1 is basically a commuter. Just me 95% of the time. I'm actually thinking about a Golf R when I'm done with the X1. If I were to go bigger, I'm not sure the X3 would be big enough. Maybe an X5 or XC90.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
The back seat legroom is really the limiting factor of the X1. If you carry people in back regularly, even kids, it might be better to go with the X3.

My X1 is basically a commuter. Just me 95% of the time.
Same for me and exactly why I told my wife the X1 was the better option. It's my daily commuter and we already had the Pilot for taking the family.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #14
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Ah, good to know on the LCI F25. The one we drove was a fairly new 2016 and it felt more like an f10 5er than an f30 3er

The performance tradeoff is an interesting one. I used to always land on the side of more performance MOAR POWER... I think embracing the compromise and going x328d or x535d or 40e is actually really interesting right now...

With the car loaded up with dog and stuff it's not like I was attacking the mountain roads going up to big bear anyway. The n55 and sportier suspension of our X1 would have been unused and in the case of the suspension it would have made the trip worse/less comfortable. The slow x3 didn't feel slow in part throttle situations and had good power going uphill and it was SO COMFY and QUIET

I like where you are going vstolpner with replacing X1 with outback and 235.. might as well specializ your cars... if you purpose that thinking, how about going all the way and instead of 235 get an e86 z4m or c6z06 or 997S some other purpose built sports car
Part of me actually wants to trade the X1 x35i in for an X3M when they become available in 2018, but only if it truly comes with an S55 in it. I'd also like to wait until I'm married to commit to a car of that size to make sure the Mrs. is cool with its size. No minivans will be my only rule lol
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #15
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I love my wife because she makes fun of my buddies with minivans. it seals the deal that I will never have a minivan.

I haven't read anything about an X3M but it's definitely something I'm going to look into.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Part of me actually wants to trade the X1 x35i in for an X3M when they become available in 2018, but only if it truly comes with an S55 in it. I'd also like to wait until I'm married to commit to a car of that size to make sure the Mrs. is cool with its size. No minivans will be my only rule lol
I hope they bring over the 35d variant too. That would be an awesome commuter
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
The new X3 has the looks though....

Name:  2018-BMW-X3-rendered-1-1024x683.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  273.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:00 PM   #18
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Completely agree on the X1 having the better handling. We test drove the X3 but found the added space to be not worth it.

Plus we just did a ski trip over four days with four adults and a toddler. More space for people in the back would have been nice, but cargo space wasn't an issue with a large cargo box on the roof, including three full sets of snow gear, a play pen for the little one (with all her toys for the long drive) and more food than was necessary.

I never liked carrying skis inside the car (since I went to X1 after our Impreza anyway), so they're always either in ski racks or in the cargo box.

Only comment about the cargo box - adds about 20-25% fuel consumption, but still beats out our old Impreza with just the ski rack on top.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I hope they bring over the 35d variant too. That would be an awesome commuter
Looks to be confirmed that an xDrive30d will be available states side for the G01 X3's in 2018. I agree - perfect commuter / family car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #20
X1Denver
niner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X1 Alpine Xdrive35i M

I have a loaner X3 right now as well.

Kinda apples and oranges. This is a real suv not a e9X

I will say a few things:

cons:
Seats are awful. flat with no support. My karman ghia has better seats.
Key fob is HUGE. I don't like my pockets cramped
USB only in the arm rest..not in the front console

pros:
big and comfy ride
NBT evo is nice (might have to do the retro fit)
headlights are awesome (probably because im a foot higher)
parking assist is much better than mine (360 camera i think)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Funny, I would prefer the USB to be in the arm rest, or somewhere hidden away - even the tiny flash drives are still visible and I end up getting worried that someone will break in just for that when I'm stopped in a less than ideal area.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #22
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
Funny, I would prefer the USB to be in the arm rest, or somewhere hidden away - even the tiny flash drives are still visible and I end up getting worried that someone will break in just for that when I'm stopped in a less than ideal area.
Stop hanging around in the Whalley area.

I bought one of these during a sale for under $20. It's quite non-descript stealthy. Almost flushed and looks like a cap for the UBS slot.

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Ultra-...5FHHA256B3BN9Z
Appreciate 0