Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #23
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
That's not the amp. The amp is located in the left rear of the trunk, behind the wheel well.
You're right. I pulled back a trim piece and saw it the other day.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #24
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2schulte View Post
I put the bavarian sound upgraded speakers into my stock system. I could only tell a very slight improvement in sound quality. Any recommendation on an inexpensive next step?
Inexpensive, no. I did the bavsound speakers first, then their ghost underseat subwoofers, and finally the Bimmertech amp. The amp, though expensive, really brings the speaker system to life. The wiring is plug & play. The only drawback is Bimmertech hasn't yet developed a custom mounting bracket for the e84. I'm working with them to develop one. Hard to believe this hasn't been brought to their attention before, but it seems to be true.

I think Alpine makes an amp which will work, but I have no further knowledge. If you can't do the Bimmertech, maybe research the Alpine.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #25
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Inexpensive, no. I did the bavsound speakers first, then their ghost underseat subwoofers, and finally the Bimmertech amp. The amp, though expensive, really brings the speaker system to life. The wiring is plug & play. The only drawback is Bimmertech hasn't yet developed a custom mounting bracket for the e84. I'm working with them to develop one. Hard to believe this hasn't been brought to their attention before, but it seems to be true.
It does seem weird. Do e84 owners tend not to do the upgrade or have people managed to just roll-their-own mounting solution and just screwed it in somewhere?

Normally, I would think "speakers first", but based on your comments and thinking about how the DSP might improve imaging, I'm wondering if "amp first" makes more sense? Only problem (aside from the price) would be that you need to take care to not blow the stock speakers!

Quote:
I think Alpine makes an amp which will work, but I have no further knowledge. If you can't do the Bimmertech, maybe research the Alpine.
I did a quick search, and according to this document (http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...8&d=1326563347), it looks like an upgrade for those who don't have HiFi -- those of us in the US probably already have that option?

When I look at pictures of the speakers, our tweeters look similar, so I think all it's intended for is to bring the base stereo up to the HiFi level.

For a cheaper solution, Match makes a smaller amp which might work. I haven't been able to find any info on this as an upgrade for the e84 tho. If it's not much better than the stock amp, why bother? Or is the addition of the DSP enough to make it worthwhile? Or does it not fit?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #26
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think MajorTranq is dead on right. Now that I think about it, once you buy BavSound speakers, you're committed to either using the OEM amp or an amp like BimmerTech that mimics or is compatible with the stock speakers ohm ratings. In other words, you probably can't use an aftermarket amp to drive the BavSound speakers (I'm sure all of you knew that but this just occurred to me...LOL). On the flip side, if you wanted to run aftermarket 4 ohm component speakers, you could run any amp you wanted, but you wouldn't have a DSP, unless you opted for an expensive Alpine PXA-H800 DSP ($750).

All of sudden the BimmerTech amp seems like a better deal since it's an amp and a DSP. Any idea when the mounting bracket will be available?

This makes the most sense to me...
Stage 1 - BimmerTech amp
Stage 2 - BavSound speakers
Stage 3 - Dedicated 10" or 12" subwoofer with Audiocontrol lc2i + amp

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #27
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep

It will be at least a couple months before a mounting bracket is available from Bimmertech. They're waiting for me to send pics and measurements. My new amp is just hanging from one bolt in the trunk, which I don't like at all. There may be a way to re-route wiring to a different, more convenient location behind the rear passenger seat.

I noticed a big difference after the speaker upgrade. Maybe my stock speakers were trashed somehow. They sounded horrible. There's plenty of bass for me without another sub. I can't see going with a lesser amp. This one is still a bit under-powered, but still plenty loud. I would recommend getting the available remote control. At low volumes there's no bass. The remote would allow adjusting the woofer level on the fly. It would also allow switching between two different tuning profiles, depending on the music.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #28
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
If i recall, someone made a plug and play piece that lets you add a sub, its like 150$, check the 335 forums/e90 forums, its floating there somewhere. I almost considered it until I sat in an x1 with a 12. Rattle rattle. Those things were made to thump.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #29
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

They way y'all describe the stock system, I'm thinking I need to check to see if the previous owner did any upgrades. I find bass to be a bit boomy (not real accurate) but plenty loud. Seems to hit a wall as you crank it, which is OK. I only need it but so loud.

Yeah, I saw the harness for adding an additional sub/amp. It's one thing to tap the signal to add a sub, but another to intercept the signal entirely and run through a DSP or something. :-) That's the thing I'm curious about...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #30
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
If i recall, someone made a plug and play piece that lets you add a sub, its like 150$, check the 335 forums/e90 forums, its floating there somewhere.
I believe you are referring to the Technic PNP harness...
http://technicpnp.com/product-catego...fi-676-x1-e84/

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
I almost considered it until I sat in an x1 with a 12. Rattle rattle. Those things were made to thump.
Well that sucks... I thought adding a sub would would sound super clean since our cars are basically a hatch. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I start working on my install.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #31
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
I believe you are referring to the Technic PNP harness...
http://technicpnp.com/product-catego...fi-676-x1-e84/

Well that sucks... I thought adding a sub would would sound super clean since our cars are basically a hatch. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I start working on my install.

Theres a few things you have to do, once you turn up the bass you'll find it. The luggage rack/cups in the back rattle bad, so does the luggage mat itself. Fairly easy but deathly annoying. something on the rear hatch door needed dynomatted I'm guessing just loose pop rivets to the outer panel.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #32
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
It does seem weird. Do e84 owners tend not to do the upgrade or have people managed to just roll-their-own mounting solution and just screwed it in somewhere?

Normally, I would think "speakers first", but based on your comments and thinking about how the DSP might improve imaging, I'm wondering if "amp first" makes more sense? Only problem (aside from the price) would be that you need to take care to not blow the stock speakers!

I did a quick search, and according to this document (http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...8&d=1326563347), it looks like an upgrade for those who don't have HiFi -- those of us in the US probably already have that option?

When I look at pictures of the speakers, our tweeters look similar, so I think all it's intended for is to bring the base stereo up to the HiFi level.

For a cheaper solution, Match makes a smaller amp which might work. I haven't been able to find any info on this as an upgrade for the e84 tho. If it's not much better than the stock amp, why bother? Or is the addition of the DSP enough to make it worthwhile? Or does it not fit?
As I said on Bimmerfest, couldn't say if the amp first upgrade is enough. Bimmertech recommends amp first. Bavsound recommends speakers first. Others think the stock system sounds fine. It comes down to your personal taste and budget. Almost $2k later, I'm happy. Is my sound system perfect? Nope. Does it rock my socks off? Yup. One thing of note is I almost hated the bass response after the ghost sub upgrade. It was clear with more punch, and the enhanced mid bass helped define everything from vocals to snares, but it was boomy and annoying. I blamed the speaker enclosures--big plastic boxes. The DSP and a proper tune really cleaned up the bass. Depending on the source, it's just about right for my taste with tons more punch. Would a 12" sub help even more? No doubt, but I don't wanna sacrifice the trunk space. The only other upgrade I'm left wanting is to wire the tweeters to run active, on their own channels, rather than passive off the front mids. However, that's not a job I don't want to take on myself, so it probably won't get done.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #33
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick question. Anyone know if f30 rear speakers are the exact same as e84s? Some guy is selling bavsound rear speakers and I'd like to buy them if they fit. Please let me know.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #34
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's actual pics of the sub enclosure I received.

Here's the stock trunk... I ended up removing the storage container, netting, and cigarette socket.

Fitment was dead on... enclosure fit very snug and was not loose at all.

Proof of the amp location...

Found a stock grounding point to use for the amp and Audio Control LOC.

I'm pretty much done but have still waiting for some parts to arrive today in the mail. Install was very simple to be honest. I didn't see a need to make an amp rack and have the amp and LOC velcro'd to the trunk.

Appreciate 1
      02-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #35
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep

That's a great looking install. Thanks for the pics. I'm gonna steal your pic of the original amp location to send to Bimmertech. Hope that's ok. Will save me the hassle of tearing my car apart...again.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #36
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a great looking install. Thanks for the pics. I'm gonna steal your pic of the original amp location to send to Bimmertech. Hope that's ok. Will save me the hassle of tearing my car apart...again.
Glad I could help.

I finished the rest of the install. I used 4 speaker wire to connect the Audio Control LOC to the amp using posi-tap connectors. This made wiring very easy.

Here's how it came out.

Since I used the Audio Control LOC, I did not have to find a remote wire from the car. The LOC senses signal from the speaker wires and then turn itself on. Then the LOC has a remote on output to turn on the amp.

Subwoofer amp... Class D so it's very small. 650W at 2ohms powering a 12" Dayton Audio HO.

All done.

Quick pic.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #37
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Nice! Love the lowered look too.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #38
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Awesome install OP. How does the 12 in the trunk space sound? Only reason I never pulled the trigger on that box was because of it being sealed.

I have a 10" W6 mounted in a ported box facing forward. The bass is a little overwhelming.

I only have the HiFi system. Wish I had the Harmon Kardon...

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #39
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Awesome install OP. How does the 12 in the trunk space sound? Only reason I never pulled the trigger on that box was because of it being sealed.

I have a 10" W6 mounted in a ported box facing forward. The bass is a little overwhelming.

I only have the HiFi system. Wish I had the Harmon Kardon...
The Dayton Audio HO is a pretty popular subwoofer from diymobileaudio.com and is SQ oriented. So far I like it a lot. I installed a bass knob and have it "barely" turned up. Bass blends well and I have no complaints at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #40
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

awesome install... kudos!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #41
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
Quick question. Anyone know if f30 rear speakers are the exact same as e84s? Some guy is selling bavsound rear speakers and I'd like to buy them if they fit. Please let me know.
This thread's about done, but I can't leave you hanging. The rear speakers look the same but only Bavsound can tell you for sure. Email Megan at sales@bavsound.com.

You might think twice about upgrading rear speakers first. Front speakers give you the sound stage. Rear speakers interfere with that, drawing the balance toward the rear. This is a new concept to me, but I believe. I may end up disabling my rear speakers. This may be why you found a set of rear speakers for sale.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #42
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You might think twice about upgrading rear speakers first. Front speakers give you the sound stage. Rear speakers interfere with that, drawing the balance toward the rear. This is a new concept to me, but I believe. I may end up disabling my rear speakers. This may be why you found a set of rear speakers for sale.
They probably installed the fronts out of the kit and didn't want to bother with the rear. Or at least that's probably what I'd do. I read that Bavsound now sells the kit only including the rears, now. Annoying.

It's nice to have a bit of sound from the rear, but yeah, I'm a "front soundstage" guy.

I'm going to try a cheap approach to upgrading the stereo -- I'm going to add a DSP inbetween the iPhone and the car. Turns out that having the separate AUX plug is a FEATURE not a bug! Heh heh...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:13 AM   #43
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've read the aux input lacks fidelity. No idea how or why, though. Bluetooth isn't supposed to sound good, either, but sounds fine to me most of the time, with occasional interference/static for no apparent reason.

Good luck with the inline DSP. Sounds promising.

As for rear speakers, I have some tweeking to do. I set speaker distances on the software, but center stage is drawn toward the right rear. There's an angle adjustment which I don't yet understand how to set.

It seems bavsound only sells the full set, including rear tweeters, which I don't need. It's a shame I paid for them. The rear speakers were also a pain to install, compared to the fronts, which were easy. Perhaps if one asked for front speakers only they'd do that. Dunno.

In any case, rear speakers are for rear passengers. I don't care about their experience, and my friends would rather not ride back there. The dog would prefer no music at all.

Now I want a subwoofer, knowing it doesn't take much trunk space ☠
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #44
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Someone is selling a set of rear F30 midrange speakers so I was thinking of grabbing them...

But anyways, I emailed bavsound and was surprised they don't sell the front only. They said it was possible they would sell the fronts only, but I'd have to wait at least 6 months.

Quote:

Now I want a subwoofer, knowing it doesn't take much trunk space ☠
Go for it. It's reasonably cheap, somewhat easy to do, and reversible.
Appreciate 0