03-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #23
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I would take it to a BMW dealer. Even though it is far out of warranty, the car is not that old and this kind of thing shouldn't happen. Ask if BMW will cover part of the cost out of good will and questionable design. I disagree with those who say a timing chain needs servicing. If so, why doesn't BMW offer any guidance on it. I also disagree that the guide is plastic in most modern cars. It wasn't on a Nissan VQ. As far as I'm concerned, it should last the life of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I would take it to a BMW dealer. Even though it is far out of warranty, the car is not that old and this kind of thing shouldn't happen. Ask if BMW will cover part of the cost out of good will and questionable design. I disagree with those who say a timing chain needs servicing. If so, why doesn't BMW offer any guidance on it. I also disagree that the guide is plastic in most modern cars. It wasn't on a Nissan VQ. As far as I'm concerned, it should last the life of the car.
First thing he will be asked is to produce oil change receipts...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #24
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
Oil change intervals were as prescribed by the engine management system. When it told me it was time, I had it changed by a trusted mechanic.
Yeah, that was expressively told to me by a few of a local car club of what not to do. Too long between changes.
Hate to say but that makes me feel better.
Very few and far between with those who stick to sub 5-6k oil changes.
Sorry.
BMW no longer prescribes 15K mile oil changes. My G30 5-Series issues 6800 mile intervals or 12 months max, whichever comes first.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

As someone who has done a lot of failure and probability of failure analysis I know this is not a widespread problem.

But all of that said, this is the one issue that is seriously concerning to me about my X1.
      03-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #26
JPunterminse
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1 i28

oh man. that sucks sorry to hear that!

that kind of scares me, i'm getting ready to buy a 2012 x1 here. the sport model. took it for a test drive yesterday and fell in love with it. Wife loves it too. I don't want to hijack this thread but is there any advice anyone can give me? I'm getting ready to buy this thing..don't wanna get ripped of. it's got 155,000 kms, and he wants 12,800 canadian for it. The engine sounded almost like a diesel but i've learned now that it is apparently just how that engine sounds. can anyone give me a list of things to look out for when buying a used x1?

again sorry for putting this on here but i can't make threads yet and am kind of desperate for advice here. it's a lot of money for us and we are totally swooned with this car right now lol, don't want to screw ourselves.

hope you have luck with that lawsuit though cause that sounds like a mess of sheit!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPunterminse View Post
oh man. that sucks sorry to hear that!

that kind of scares me, i'm getting ready to buy a 2012 x1 here. the sport model. took it for a test drive yesterday and fell in love with it. Wife loves it too. I don't want to hijack this thread but is there any advice anyone can give me? I'm getting ready to buy this thing..don't wanna get ripped of. it's got 155,000 kms, and he wants 12,800 canadian for it. The engine sounded almost like a diesel but i've learned now that it is apparently just how that engine sounds. can anyone give me a list of things to look out for when buying a used x1?

again sorry for putting this on here but i can't make threads yet and am kind of desperate for advice here. it's a lot of money for us and we are totally swooned with this car right now lol, don't want to screw ourselves.

hope you have luck with that lawsuit though cause that sounds like a mess of sheit!
My only advise is to try to obtain all service history records on the vehicle and pay a trusted independent mechanic to put the car on a lift for a full inspection. Do not commit until everything checks out, no matter how much you love the car and the excitement surrounding the purchase.

Your BMW dealer/center can provide such records from the key reader or VIN number. Additionally, and not to be taken as gospel, also check the Carfax report if available in Canada.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #28
JPunterminse
Rep

hi thanks for the input.

how about the turbos on these things? I've been warned that buying a car with a turbo is a bad idea and that it would be very expensive to fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #29
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hi thanks for the input.

how about the turbos on these things? I've been warned that buying a car with a turbo is a bad idea and that it would be very expensive to fix.
Previous maintenance and proper oil change intervals are key. Hard to say until the vehicle is inspected. Modern turbos are generally reliable assuming a maintenance regime has been followed by the previous owner(s).

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #30
JPunterminse
Rep

okay thanks man. we're really loving the x1. its way at the top of our possible vehicles. people are telling me though that bmw's need to be fixed a lot. not sure how true this is. seems to be i keep hearing this about everything..i think maybe people around here have a thing against anything except domestic vehicles. how has the break down and fixing been around this forum for people with this car?

we wanted to buy a jeep cherokee as well and everyone was all warning against break downs. talked to a couple of owners and they were more than happy with their jeeps.

we don't want some chevy equinox or ford escape thing. every ford or chevy i've had always had so much to fix. Even the truck i have now, which is a ford f150 has had multiple things, though small things like alternator and sparkplugs. window regulator stopped working as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #31
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
okay thanks man. we're really loving the x1. its way at the top of our possible vehicles. people are telling me though that bmw's need to be fixed a lot. not sure how true this is. seems to be i keep hearing this about everything..i think maybe people around here have a thing against anything except domestic vehicles. how has the break down and fixing been around this forum for people with this car?

we wanted to buy a jeep cherokee as well and everyone was all warning against break downs. talked to a couple of owners and they were more than happy with their jeeps.

we don't want some chevy equinox or ford escape thing. every ford or chevy i've had always had so much to fix. Even the truck i have now, which is a ford f150 has had multiple things, though small things like alternator and sparkplugs. window regulator stopped working as well.
Modern cars are so complex they all have issues like this at least to some degree. My advice is to get that X1 you wanna buy checked out by a mechanic before you commit to it. We've always used a guy that comes to wherever the vehicle is located. He charges $125 and THOROUGHLY checks it out. We bought 2 vehicles on his recommendations ('05 X3 & '90 Miata) and both have turned out to be great cars over the years, just as he had us avoid several he said would be likely problematic. So spend the money and have that pre-purchase inspection done, it's not a lot of $ when you consider the hassle and expense it can save you from.

As far as X1's go, we bought my wife's X1 '15 XDrive about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. Like our previous X3, it had been a lease before we got it at 58K miles from a used car dealer. It's been fantastic, we haven't had any real repairs, just maintenance related stuff. If it does as well as our X3 did - which we sold in good shape at 230K miles recently, we'll be very happy with it.
I should add that we always buy the base models of cars we're interested in, and skip all the electronic stuff we can, like nav screens and other doo-dads. A lot of that stuff isn't needed anyway, and tends to break, often taking something else with it. So yeah we try to always get the most basic model of whatever we buy. The X3's around the years we had ours were very reliable vehicles for instance, but the X5's of the same era were not. I believe due to all the extra luxuries/complexities they had.

Lastly, BMW builds some great vehicles, but also some not-so-great vehicles, so do your research and good luck.

Last edited by 05X3lover; 03-12-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #32
BeeHemDoubleU IksWane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

If you buy a 2012 you Will always have To worry about the oil pump and timing chain failing.

We are now 3 2012 X1 with blown engine in my 30K people town.

Good luck, you'll need it
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #33
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

in November 2018 I have replaced my engine at 80,015km due to the same problem. Yap, that's 50.000 miles.
2012 BMW X1 28i with 80.000 km. That's little over 10,000km/year. Overly maintained vehicle with oil changes done at 5000 km and super maintained like no other.
Always in the dealership since day 1. Also paid extra warranty (almost $4000) for 6 years or 120.000km since day one. The years expired... so... no warranty.
Can not stand the new cheap X1 so we keep this guy. The quality of materials, fit and finish, sound system, equipment is top notch compared with F48.
I bought a brand new engine from Germany. My boy has now 5000 km on the new engine.
Cost of the engine: $27,000 CAD

I have joined strongly the N20 Class action suit against BMW.
https://www.strosbergco.com/class-actions/bmw/
https://www.siskinds.com/class-action/bmw-engine/
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-18-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #34
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

^ why didn't you qualify for the replacement?
They extended the warranty to 7 years/70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #35
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
^ why didn't you qualify for the replacement?
They extended the warranty to 7 years/70k miles.
He is in Canada.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:21 AM   #36
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Use but used high mileage bmws only if you either know a good cheap mechanic or you can wrench it yourself. Else just but a CRV or Subaru. Parts and labor cost are higher than typical Japanese/domestic auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #37
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

27,000 CAD is around 20,000 US dollars. I don’t blame you for saving that car, it looks really great. But I’m wondering at that price, I’ve seen plenty of used X1’s in that price neighborhood or less. I’m sure warranties come into play and it wouldn’t be quite the same. Would be a tough decision, damn.

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #38
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

20K for an engine ??!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #39
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I know you love the car, but confronted with a $20K bill for a new engine vs the market value of the car, $8000-$10000 USD on a good day, absolutely not worth savaging it at all.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #40
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I know you love the car, but confronted with a $20K bill for a new engine vs the market value of the car, $8000-$10000 USD on a good day, absolutely not worth savaging it at all.
The vehicle is MINT. Everyone suggested to buy the engine. Including my wife who loves this car to death.
Secondly, My car is worth right now maybe 25,000 but let's say 22,000 CAD. Prices varies between 16000 to 25000 depending on shape, mileage and equipment.
Also, the vehicle is loaded with things that very very few X1 were equipped with especially 28i. Actually it was the second or third that arrived as a new model for North America and was a special unit. It has every option possible, comfort access, high beam assist, headlamp washer, Harman kardon Sound system (offered only on few 28i since it was offered only in 35i), darked windows, etc. etc.
Given the shape of the vehicle and mileage and use (garage at home, garage at work), even the mechanic said that he will buy it from me if I want to sell it. Inside is also mint since we NEVER touched the carpets, the vehicle has summer and winter mats.
Do not care about the new one and there is no vehicle out there that is better than this one at this category, since my wife refused an X3 or X4 due to dimensions and hates with passion how the new X1 drives (and she is not a car girl but thinks that the new X1 is unstable and gutless).
Also, BMW paid a half of the bill after some very tough conversations that almost trigger a civil lawsuit and an extremely thorough inspection which proved that the vehicle was overly maintained (they couldn't believe the shape the car is in) and they have nothing to blame me for.
So there you have it.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-19-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #41
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Is it a manual? If so I understand completely.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #42
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
2013 X1
120,000 miles
Cause of death: BMW using a cheap plastic timing belt tensioner instead of metal

My car went into limp mode so I checked the codes, cam shaft timing error. I talked to a mechanic buddy and he said that happens sometimes and recommended a BMW Indy shop. I took it in and they partially dismantled the engine and told me that the tensioner guide had broken down to the point that the cam shaft had cause scoring to the engine and there were shards of aluminum throughout the engine. Ruined.

The fix: replace the engine.
A used engine is about $3000. Labor is $2-3000. Car value, due to the high mileage, is about $6500.

Fixing it is not worth it. The pick and pull yard offered $640. There are a few charity groups who will give me a tax write off for it. Or I can try to sell it for whatever I can get, maybe $2000 if I am lucky.

There is a pending class action lawsuit for this problem but obviously no one knows when it will be settled and what the outcome will be.

If anyone is in the market for a roof rack, rear cargo rubber mat, tow hitch, or anything else that can be easily removed, let me know.
I was just coming back to this forum to post some accessories since lease was up on our x1 but I wanted to stop in and say that I completely disagree that the car is not worth the engine swap. If the rest of the car is mint, and you like it a lot, why not pay the $5k for the used engine? What other vehicle are you going to get for $5k that’s as nice as your x1?

And if you get a newer vehicle it’s way more than $5k (unless you wanted a new vehicle anyway).

I damaged the (25 yr old original motor) in my spec miata during some sprint racing for comp license evaluation, and I absolutely paid $3k to get used low mileage motor refreshed (seals, water pump, timing belt etc) and swapped in.

Why? Because I like my spec Miata and any other Miata I get for $3k will be a questionable quality almost parts car, while my car is fully sorted and drives great.

Same thinking applies to your vehicle OP. My $0.02 get a used engine in your x1 and enjoy the heck out of it if you aren’t ready to let it go
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #43
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
2013 X1
120,000 miles
Cause of death: BMW using a cheap plastic timing belt tensioner instead of metal

My car went into limp mode so I checked the codes, cam shaft timing error. I talked to a mechanic buddy and he said that happens sometimes and recommended a BMW Indy shop. I took it in and they partially dismantled the engine and told me that the tensioner guide had broken down to the point that the cam shaft had cause scoring to the engine and there were shards of aluminum throughout the engine. Ruined.

The fix: replace the engine.
A used engine is about $3000. Labor is $2-3000. Car value, due to the high mileage, is about $6500.

Fixing it is not worth it. The pick and pull yard offered $640. There are a few charity groups who will give me a tax write off for it. Or I can try to sell it for whatever I can get, maybe $2000 if I am lucky.

There is a pending class action lawsuit for this problem but obviously no one knows when it will be settled and what the outcome will be.

If anyone is in the market for a roof rack, rear cargo rubber mat, tow hitch, or anything else that can be easily removed, let me know.
I was just coming back to this forum to post some accessories since lease was up on our x1 but I wanted to stop in and say that I completely disagree that the car is not worth the engine swap. If the rest of the car is mint, and you like it a lot, why not pay the $5k for the used engine? What other vehicle are you going to get for $5k that's as nice as your x1?

And if you get a newer vehicle it's way more than $5k (unless you wanted a new vehicle anyway).

I damaged the (25 yr old original motor) in my spec miata during some sprint racing for comp license evaluation, and I absolutely paid $3k to get used low mileage motor refreshed (seals, water pump, timing belt etc) and swapped in.

Why? Because I like my spec Miata and any other Miata I get for $3k will be a questionable quality almost parts car, while my car is fully sorted and drives great.

Same thinking applies to your vehicle OP. My $0.02 get a used engine in your x1 and enjoy the heck out of it if you aren't ready to let it go
That may be it but perhaps some of us think differently. There is nothing wrong with an opposing opinion.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #44
BeeHemDoubleU IksWane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

BMW Canada needs to accept the reality. They can't continue to ignore the issue. They fucked up, they should man up and accept it.

But no, you, as a customer, have to fight an uphill battle, and they know most wont have the patience/opportunity to do it....

They turned me off so much brand wise. Even after paying for a brand new engine.. a 5 months battle.
Appreciate 0