Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Ordered mine on Thursday

Hi Everyone, been a lurker here for a while reading of others experiences with the X1. I would like to say thanks to all for all the good tips and comments which have helped me no end. I have gone through all my test drives and finally took the plunge on Thursday and ordered my X1:

2.0d XDrive SE in Titanium Silver with Black Nevada Leather

Now the long wait ..... Early September
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

Congrats mario486. It is a long wait unfortunately; I know how you feel (mine's due to late Aug/early Sep)
What accessories are you getting?
Nice choice with the Titanium Silver; we can't choose that option here in Aus
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxx View Post
Congrats mario486. It is a long wait unfortunately; I know how you feel (mine's due to late Aug/early Sep)
What accessories are you getting?
Nice choice with the Titanium Silver; we can't choose that option here in Aus
Thanks Boxx, The Titanium is pretty much identical in colour to all the XLine trim so balances things out. The blue and tasman were second and third choice.

Not too much in extras as they are quite pricey here, but got the comfort package (interior lights, PDC front and rear, auto wipers), sport/electric/heated seats with lumbar support, folding mirrors (they are huge and our streets narrow), bluetooth phone and storage pack.

PS: Just seen you ordered the Deep Sea Blue, good choice! There is one at my local dealer and its stunning. Only reason I did not choose it is its more difficult to keep clean here in winter when they salt the roads (I have a Midnight Blue VW Golf and a silver-ish Mini).

Last edited by mario486; 06-13-2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: PS:
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
bjotings
Norway
Rep

Actually I do not think the mirrors are actually auto folding!? You should check this more closely. I did not order those on mine. The iDrive system is a good investment for navigating DVD, CD, Radio and Navi - alltough quite expencive. The Professional version even have a harddrive with storage space for about 100 CDs.

Re
BT
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjotings View Post
Actually I do not think the mirrors are actually auto folding!? You should check this more closely. I did not order those on mine. The iDrive system is a good investment for navigating DVD, CD, Radio and Navi - alltough quite expencive. The Professional version even have a harddrive with storage space for about 100 CDs.

Re
BT
I hope they are powered folding mirrors as I paid for it as an extra. Included auto-dimming as well. As far as I know its operated by a button on the drivers door. Not as good as the system on the merc I drove which folded the mirrors automatically each time you lock the car.

Anyone have a better idea of this option?

Had a look at the satnav but I am not sure its any better than the Garmin I use at the moment. Cannot see how any manyfacturer can justify the satnav prices when an aftermarket system is as good and costs a fraction of the price. I know they bundle it with a sound system etc but my ipod does that as well, anyway just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
wyresoft
--X1--
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sDrive 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I hope they are powered folding mirrors as I paid for it as an extra. Included auto-dimming as well. As far as I know its operated by a button on the drivers door. Not as good as the system on the merc I drove which folded the mirrors automatically each time you lock the car.

Anyone have a better idea of this option?

Had a look at the satnav but I am not sure its any better than the Garmin I use at the moment. Cannot see how any manyfacturer can justify the satnav prices when an aftermarket system is as good and costs a fraction of the price. I know they bundle it with a sound system etc but my ipod does that as well, anyway just my opinion.
We picked our new X1 up on Saturday - I know we haven't got folding powered mirrors, but I have seen them mentioned in the handbook. There are quite a few things mentioned in the handbook which are country specific - and our dealer was hopeless as he hadn't explained anything - If you have any doubts, go to the dealer and don't be fobbed off with anything less than a full explanation. (People advising on here may have options we don't have in the UK)

The inbuilt sat-navs are good, no question - that is until they go wrong just outside warranty and you realise it's over £2k to fix it (Thankfully it was still in warranty on my E60).
      06-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Just for the record, I have just added Xenons as well. Mainly as an added safety feature but I also think it gives the X1 a visual lift. Not a badly priced option here as it includes headlamp wash (must by law) as well as added LED bars in the rear tail light cluster.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
mrbodhi
Rep
Drives: Mini Copper S

I think you are mistaken about the LED bars - no such thing for the X1.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodhi View Post
I think you are mistaken about the LED bars - no such thing for the X1.
Is in the UK. Its in the official brochure here and confirmed by the dealer. Xenon option gives you two horizontal LED bars in the rear tail light cluster. Looks the same as the standard ones in the day but visible at night. Will see if I can get a pic.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Same here in Aus; if you order Xenon lights you get LED bars in the tail lights. This is listed in our brochure here but only towards the end of the book where they have more details in the option lists (the middle of the book has Xenon lights advertised but they don't mention LED tail lights there)
You would think this would be available world-wide
Also I was wrong before, you can get the X1 in Titanium Silver; my mistate
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #11
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Not very visible, but yes, led tail lights (with the xenon package)

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

I have just added the new MY11 Auto Option to my X1 order.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
John Cooper
driver
Finland
Rep
Drives: e84 (X1 Xdrive20dA)& e70 (30d)

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Not very visible, but yes, led tail lights (with the xenon package)
Which ones are with leds? rear lights (red ones), brake lights and or what? I do have xenons but not led lights except those leds lightning rear registeration plate and door handles.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cooper View Post
Which ones are with leds? rear lights (red ones), brake lights and or what? I do have xenons but not led lights except those leds lightning rear registeration plate and door handles.
Rear tail lights, not brake lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Just for the record, expecting delivery now end Sept, two weeks early.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
twentyten
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3

Just out of nosyness, which Dealer are you with?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyten View Post
Just out of nosyness, which Dealer are you with?

Mike
Eastern
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #18
twentyten
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3

I'm a bit further North. Calterdon.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyten View Post
I'm a bit further North. Calterdon.
A fair bit more North Have you looked at winter tyres for your X1? After the last winter we had I want to fit a set from around Nov onwards. Asked a few local tyre dealers who looked at me as if I was from a different planet Anyway found a dealer that could get some Michelins for me. Probably a bit overkill but I want to go oop north and have some fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:20 AM   #20
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Quote:
A fair bit more North Have you looked at winter tyres for your X1? After the last winter we had I want to fit a set from around Nov onwards. Asked a few local tyre dealers who looked at me as if I was from a different planet Anyway found a dealer that could get some Michelins for me. Probably a bit overkill but I want to go oop north and have some fun.
What michelins are they and how much if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #21
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Does anyone know what is difference between driving a 4X4 and a rear-wheel drive one? It is because I ordered a X1 sDrive 18i which is a RWD. Do I get more road information from the front wheel than a 4X4 one? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #22
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
Does anyone know what is difference between driving a 4X4 and a rear-wheel drive one? It is because I ordered a X1 sDrive 18i which is a RWD. Do I get more road information from the front wheel than a 4X4 one? Thanks.
Pretty much cannot tell the difference on normal dry roads. You need to be on a very slippery (wet/ice/gravel) surface before the 4x4 kicks in. The X1 has dynamic variable torque distribution between front and rear but is actually rear wheel drive until needed. It can tranfer all of the drive to the front though in exceptional circumstances. Unless you can see yourself in conditions where you would need this the SDrive should suite most people. I cannot discern any difference in handling between the two.
Appreciate 0