XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #23
m1256
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x1 sdrive28l

Not only timing chain guide parts cover the oil pump pickup, but looks like some oil sludge also? Was there any oil sludge in the oil pan,head or other parts of the engine?

Last edited by m1256; 04-05-2020 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
I have to give you credit, not sure what your background is but that's one hell of a project. I have done many over the years but all American cars. Not sure I would dive into a project like this with a BMW. Other then the fact I don't have the garage to do this kind of thing anymore. lol

2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #25
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
Not only timing chain guide parts cover the oil pump pickup, but looks like sum oil sludge also? Was there any oil sludge in the oil pan,head or other parts of the engine?
There was sludge in the oil pan, some in the head. I am leaning towards lack of oil changes and maintenance in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1-35i View Post
I have to give you credit, not sure what your background is but that's one hell of a project. I have done many over the years but all American cars. Not sure I would dive into a project like this with a BMW. Other then the fact I don't have the garage to do this kind of thing anymore. lol
I'm a mechanical engineer, but I do this stuff as a hobby. Well it started as a hobby that escalated. Getting into something like this isn't as ad as it seems. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but I took it step by step and I label everything and all bolts get put into labelled zip lock bags. This makes things a lot easier during the assembly stage.

And here is a pic where I ended last night with the BMW

Hopefully I can get it fired up today.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #26
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1-35i View Post
I agree. Cool project for sure, but wow!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #27
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep

Last night I was able to crank the engine over, everything seems good. I put some cheap oil in it along with a filter (just want to flush it out). Now when I tried to start the engine it wouldn't fire, no fuel at the pump. After cranking a few times I removed the high pressure line and there was no fuel.

So my theory: I did not replace the injectors on the new engine with the old ones. (are they coded to the ECU?). Tonight I will be replacing the injectors with the old ones. I am also getting a a scanner from a friend so that I can clear some of the faults.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #28
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_ring_circus View Post
There was sludge in the oil pan, some in the head. I am leaning towards lack of oil changes and maintenance in general.

I'm a mechanical engineer, but I do this stuff as a hobby. Well it started as a hobby that escalated. Getting into something like this isn't as ad as it seems. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but I took it step by step and I label everything and all bolts get put into labelled zip lock bags. This makes things a lot easier during the assembly stage.

And here is a pic where I ended last night with the BMW

Hopefully I can get it fired up today.
That was my field at one time as well, I was a mechanical designer for 15 years then moved on into the IT world for 25 years. I have done many builds when it comes to muscle cars, never dove into this end of the pool. Good luck with the engine swap.

2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #29
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the kind words.

Got the car fired up last night, still have a lot of things to figure out and finish but it was a relief to hear the engine run. It is not running like I would like it to, but injector index numbers are not input into the ecu, still no intake or cooling. Hopefully in the next few days I can wrap this up and get a buddy to stop by and figure out all the coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #30
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep

So it's been a little while, I have been super busy. I did get the X1 finished up, the wife is driving it and we both love the car. Here are some pics of what it looks like now.

I am getting some knocking in the front suspension, I think it might be the shocks (might wait until spring for that). There is a check engine light on, not sure what the code is as I don't have a scanner and I have to rely on other people. Adaptive light malfunction is on as well for the passenger headlight.

My brother in law did recently install ISTA+ on my shop computer, but I need to figure out a cable solution.
Appreciate 0