Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-22-2024, 09:44 AM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Former 28i owner considering a 35i

It's been a while, wifey had a 2012 28i and i always had a soft spot for the car but we needed a larger family vehicle.

Fast forward 10 years and I DD a 2008 Saab 9-3 wagon. I like the car (I despise new cars and their relentless warnings/tech annoyances) but it needs a lot of work including new aircon, pads/rotors and new shocks. I only do about 4K KM (2500 miles) per year as I WFH. The body is in remarkably good shape rust wise though looks beat to death as it lives outside.

I'm considering a 35i X1 in great shape but higher miles (150k KM). Other than the water pump, what should I be most mindful of buying something of this vintage with this engine? I know there's the usual wear items (tyres/brakes/leaky suspension etc) that I would get checked via a PPI but what are the big ticket, absolute must know items on this vehicle with the I6 engine?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 12:24 PM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

My x1 35i is a 2015 thatbI bought CPO in 2017. Water pump/tstat and valve cover gasket are probably the main ones, and also the charge pipe tends to crack where it connects to the throttlebody. A lot of people (myself included) go with an aftermarket aluminum charge pipe to prevent this issue.

Some people have problems with leaky radiators, but I've yet to encounter that one yet (knock on wood...). I feel like mine has been pretty reliable, and I plan on keeping it as long as possible. So to be proactive I've changed fluid on my transmission, transfer case, and front & rear differentials. For reference, I just crossed the 70,000 mile threshold with my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:11 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

These are the main ones that come to mind:
  • Standard N55 stuff like Valve Cover Gasket (VCG), Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG), and oil pan leaks. If you see oil on the serpentine belt...take care of the OFHG.
  • Cracked valve cover
  • Cracked or ruptured charge pipe
  • Radiator leak by the plastic bits
  • Rod bearings?
  • Carbon build-up on the intake valves

There also the usual BMW cooling system maintenance but that's not unique to the N55, nor is what aeems like an eventual clip breaking on the moonroof cover.

I won't jinx anything but will say that I've got 10yrs with my 2014. About to replace most of the suspension but mainly since I know one of the control arm bushings is bad (missing a chunk out of it) and figure...'while I'm in there and in need of an alignment...'. Should give you a hint as to my position on this underappreciated beast if I'm willing to voluntarily make that investment.
      03-27-2024, 07:07 PM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Thanks man, that's fantastic. I suspect my head will rule my heart and if I did ditch the saab I am better off with something really simple like a Ford Escape with a third the miles for the same price as the X1. I just need a reliable beater.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 12:04 PM   #5
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

My only complain has been how rapidly my X1 has depreciated (to be fair the car market has cooled since I bought it). If you're going drive it until the wheels fall off and don't mind doing maintenance then it will be a lot of fun, otherwise something newer will be a better bet in the long run
Appreciate 0