XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #1211
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Actually neither. I've thought about getting some custom Vans, haven't had a set since I was kid tearing them up riding bikes. I just find amusing the stuff some people care about.

Like the metal heads crying about the Kardashians wearing a Slayer shirt, "She shouldn't be wearing that she probably doesn't even listen to them!"

Who cares?
People who notice hypocrisy. That is all.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #1212
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Sub-cultures, like skateboarders or metalheads have always been very protective of the things they perceive as belonging to them.

You should have heard all the west coast punk kids melting down when Green Day got popular!

It happens, and understandably so. The same dynamic drives the opposition to "cultural appropriation", honestly.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #1213
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Vans......so strange how certain things become popular. The company has been around since '66 and suddenly now they are the cool shoe to wear. I started wearing Vans when I was 12, because I skated (skateboarding that is). Used to get made fun of for wearing them because they weren't Nike Air. It's funny how out of nowhere suddenly they are popular. It's like North Face jackets a few years ago.

If I see a person wearing Vans these days, the first thing that crosses my mind when I walk past is "poser." Yes it's just a shoe, but I find it hilarious to see people my age wearing them because they see young people wear them and want to be cool too.....which ultimately makes them not cool. Now, if I see anyone wearing them, of any age, and the shoes show signs of actually being skated in; not only do you earn respect, I may even stop and chat with you. If you own Vans and they are pristine, my question is how many North Face jackets do you own? It's like showing up on a job site with tools that show no signs of wear. You may get respect from people who like clean tools, but from the people that know what's going on; you get no love.

That is a cool gift from the company though.

p.s. not passing judgement on your kicks, just my $.02 which is worth less than $.02.
What on earth...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #1214
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_E84 View Post
Sub-cultures, like skateboarders or metalheads have always been very protective of the things they perceive as belonging to them.

You should have heard all the west coast punk kids melting down when Green Day got popular!

It happens, and understandably so. The same dynamic drives the opposition to "cultural appropriation", honestly.
Yeah.....Green Day is/was "punk" music (but not really) for people who need radio stations or music execs to tell them what to listen to. Green Day or their fan base didn't really get any love. DRI, Black Flag, JFA, Bad Brains, etc. are the what the rest of us listened to......and some Back Street Boys.

Green Day is equivalent to Blink 182. There was no faster way to get ostracized in the subculture scene by listening to these guys. They were marketable though, obviously.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #1215
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Yeah.....Green Day is/was "punk" music (but not really) for people who need radio stations or music execs to tell them what to listen to. Green Day or their fan base didn't really get any love. DRI, Black Flag, JFA, Bad Brains, etc. are the what the rest of us listened to......and some Back Street Boys.

Green Day is equivalent to Blink 182. There was no faster way to get ostracized in the subculture scene by listening to these guys. They were marketable though, obviously.
I was talking about when Green Day was "coming up" as a local band in the bay area punk scene and their stuff on indy label Lookout!. They were west coast punk darlings in the early days, then they signed with Reprise and released Dookie and none of the punk kids wanted anything to do with them anymore.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #1216
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_E84 View Post

I don't know, it seems incredibly juvenile to me.

I'm not going to stop listening to "insert X band" because some celebrity wore their Tshirt. Or stop driving BMWs because everyone who drives one is a prick, etc, etc. I was in slacks and a tie when I went to go see The Melvins a few years ago because I got off work late. I wonder if others in the crowd immediately stopped liking them because I was there? lol

I guess I didn't realize many adults were so insecure about stuff like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #1217
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:

I'm not going to stop listening to "insert X band" because some celebrity wore their Tshirt. Or stop driving BMWs because everyone who drives one is a prick, etc, etc. I was in slacks and a tie when I went to go see The Melvins a few years ago because I got off work late. I wonder if others in the crowd immediately stopped liking them because I was there? lol

Neither am I, but I recognize the reality that a few people are that emotionally attached to something.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #1218
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Ok, yes; this mentality is juvenile. I think maybe I didn't come across in the correct manner. No, I am not the guy that stops listening to a band or ceases behavioral tendencies because anything related to popular cultural fads. My original comment about the Vans is that it's funny to me how things go in and out of popularity and the people that only buy it because everyone else is. That is all. I see your point of my coming across as petty and insecure now that I understand your pov. My original thought wasn't so much....complaining as it was geared toward the mindset of what makes people buy what they do and fads going in and out of style.

We all have brands or styles that we associate/rep. In the same sense it is odd to see certain styles or brands being worn by individuals that typically don't wear them due to whatever reason. For example, a Phillies Blunt T-shirt being worn by a member of The Beastie Boys would draw no attention (aside from people suddenly buying Phillies Blunt t-shirts because Ad-Rock had one on or someone saw it for the first time and wanted it) however, if a police officer were to pull you over and was wearing a Phillies Blunt t-shirt and not in uniform, it would be rather odd no? This was my point.
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #1219
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Just ordered these, should be here tomorrow!
Attached Images

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #1220
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Wow I never thought a post about a free pair of Vans could get so out of hand, lol.

Listen... I have been wearing Vans since the 80's and throughout the 90's WHEN I SKATED daily. Now I am in my 40's and don't really have the time to skate or feel like killing myself. But I still basically dress the same (albeit more with the current style) and still wear Vans till they fall off my feet. Just like I still snowboard, but don't throw myself off 20ft kickers anymore in fear of getting hurt when shit goes wrong. I liked Green Day before Dookie and Sublime when Stand By Your Van came out. And I still listen to that stuff plus The Beastie Boys (since '85), Bad Religion, The Decendents, The Bouncing Souls, ect. Yeah I own a house and drive a BMW, but does that make me a poser, FUCK NO! I know how I grew up and where I came from. I hang out with some kids in their mid 20's and they listen to all that stuff I listened to when I was their age recognize how awesome I am that I am still basically the same person.

Shoe's do not define a person.

MY $.02

Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
      10-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #1221
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Wow I never thought a post about a free pair of Vans could get so out of hand, lol.

Listen... I have been wearing Vans since the 80's and throughout the 90's WHEN I SKATED daily. Now I am in my 40's and don't really have the time to skate or feel like killing myself. But I still basically dress the same (albeit more with the current style) and still wear Vans till they fall off my feet. Just like I still snowboard, but don't throw myself off 20ft kickers anymore in fear of getting hurt when shit goes wrong. I liked Green Day before Dookie and Sublime when Stand By Your Van came out. And I still listen to that stuff plus The Beastie Boys (since '85), Bad Religion, The Decendents, The Bouncing Souls, ect. Yeah I own a house and drive a BMW, but does that make me a poser, FUCK NO! I know how I grew up and where I came from. I hang out with some kids in their mid 20's and they listen to all that stuff I listened to when I was their age recognize how awesome I am that I am still basically the same person.

Shoe's do not define a person.

MY $.02
I realize I'm supposed to be the odd man out here, but I agree with everything you're stating here. Basically the exact same life. Former skater/tattoo artist. House is paid for, I drive a Lexus and have a cushy ass office job etc. and still dress the same. Hell, I've got a pair doc martens on right now. Wasn't calling you a poser at all, referring to those who 10 years ago wouldn't have been caught dead in a pair of vans due to being afraid of being associated with people like us; but now wear them because it's the cool shoe to wear. That was my point, I simply did not explain myself properly. The gift and the shoes are bad ass.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #1222
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
I realize I'm supposed to be the odd man out here, but I agree with everything you're stating here. Basically the exact same life. Former skater/tattoo artist. House is paid for, I drive a Lexus and have a cushy ass office job etc. and still dress the same. Hell, I've got a pair doc martens on right now. Wasn't calling you a poser at all, referring to those who 10 years ago wouldn't have been caught dead in a pair of vans due to being afraid of being associated with people like us; but now wear them because it's the cool shoe to wear. That was my point, I simply did not explain myself properly. The gift and the shoes are bad ass.
It's all good. I get what you are saying. You sound cool, we should hang out.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #1223
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's all good. I get what you are saying. You sound cool, we should hang out.
Right? and same! All my family is from upstate NY but I live in TN. If I'm ever up that way, I'll hit you up.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #1224
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Vans......so strange how certain things become popular. The company has been around since '66 and suddenly now they are the cool shoe to wear. I started wearing Vans when I was 12, because I skated (skateboarding that is). Used to get made fun of for wearing them because they weren't Nike Air. It's funny how out of nowhere suddenly they are popular. It's like North Face jackets a few years ago.

If I see a person wearing Vans these days, the first thing that crosses my mind when I walk past is "poser." Yes it's just a shoe, but I find it hilarious to see people my age wearing them because they see young people wear them and want to be cool too.....which ultimately makes them not cool. Now, if I see anyone wearing them, of any age, and the shoes show signs of actually being skated in; not only do you earn respect, I may even stop and chat with you. If you own Vans and they are pristine, my question is how many North Face jackets do you own? It's like showing up on a job site with tools that show no signs of wear. You may get respect from people who like clean tools, but from the people that know what's going on; you get no love.

That is a cool gift from the company though.

p.s. not passing judgement on your kicks, just my $.02 which is worth less than $.02.
haahaha you'd judge me really hard

I have a pair of leopard vans that are pristine.

Luckily, I am old enough that I was able to save enough money to get a second pair of shoes dedicated to skating in.

I also wear a punk/ska band shirt and sweatshirt with looking like a nerd who has never heard that band. Luckily, it's such a "small" band that one would need to actively seek the shirt/sweatshirt unlike thrasher, slayer, or nirvana
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #1225
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Right? and same! All my family is from upstate NY but I live in TN. If I'm ever up that way, I'll hit you up.
Where Upstate?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #1226
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Where Upstate?
Somewhere around the Catskill area.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #1227
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
That's the weird thing, I grew up and still live in backwards-ass Oklahoma. I don't remember VANS ever being "not cool" to wear. I graduated HS in 2000, so it does sound like I'm a few years younger.

Now I do remember being told in 9th grade not to wear my Cannibal Corpse shirt to school again.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #1228
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's the weird thing, I grew up and still live in backwards-ass Oklahoma. I don't remember VANS ever being "not cool" to wear. I graduated HS in 2000, so it does sound like I'm a few years younger.

Now I do remember being told in 9th grade not to wear my Cannibal Corpse shirt to school again.
I live in rural TN. In my opinion, they were never un-cool to wear, but to the teenage jocks in small rural towns that have/had no idea what Vans even were; if you didn't rock Nike Air or Reebok Pumps back then (in there eyes) you might as well be wearing penny loafers.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #1229
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
just finished a lunchtime run...nike epic react 2...
Attached Images

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #1230
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Somewhere around the Catskill area.
Nice. You ever go boarding around there? I grew up hitting all the mountains in that area.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #1231
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice. You ever go boarding around there? I grew up hitting all the mountains in that area.
As sad as it is to say, I've never been. My family moved to TN before I was born, so I've been here my entire life. A friend of mine, that I used to skate with, has tried to get me to go snowboarding with him several times at Ober Gatlinburg down here; but our schedules never line up.

I continued to skate up until about 7 years ago. Hadn't been on a board in a while and tried to bust out a 360 kickflip, this was on a Friday afternoon. The next thing I remember it was 11:00 p.m., banging headache and the ex-wife explained that she already had me in the ER, diagnosed concuss. I fell back asleep and woke up around lunch the next day, Sunday. Shitty way to spend a weekend. That was the last time my toes were planted on a board. My old ass doesn't bounce like it used to. Trying to eat concrete with the back of my head was a bad time.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #1232
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
breaking in my airmax 270 bowfins in preparation for some day hiking in shenandoah park next weekend.

Appreciate 2