XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
Papashawnsky
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 28iXDrive

New X1 Owner: Intro and 1st Impressions

Hi everyone,

I joined the Bimmer family last week when I traded in my 2010 Mazda3 for my first "fancy" car. It's a CPO 2014 x28i with M sport package and all the other options except the HK system and driving assistance package. Thought I'd share some of my initial thoughts...

The good:

- Fun to drive. So incredibly fun to drive. I love the stiff handling, the exhaust note, and the pickup. Looking into getting the Dinan tune for a little extra hp and keeping my warranty intact.

- Seats are incredibly comfortable. I was impressed with the number of different ways you can customize your seat positioning, lumbar support, etc.

- There seems to be a pretty active community of owners and lots of support for issues, buying/selling parts, etc.

The not so good:

- Stock stereo sucks. This is to be expected though, I ordered the Bavsound kit and will be installing it soon.

- The rough downshifting when I'm coasting along with my foot off the gas. I thought I was crazy at first until I saw it mentioned in another post.

- Turbo lag. Some people reported an improvement with the Dinan tune but others reported the opposite.

- The headlights - there does appear to be some upgrade options available but it's pricey.

We'll see if it holds true a year or two from now but all in all I'm happy as hell with my new baby!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Drlu23
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x28i; 328iX; X5 35i

Congrats and welcome to the club.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
black-box
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xD35 (1998 M3 RIP)

Hello neighbor Did you get the white one from Motorwerks? It does not have servotronic and felt great. I just got a 2013 in August (valencia orange).

Do you have the xenon adaptive lights? I'm coming from a much older car, but they're amazing to me. I have the "676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM" and I think it helps if you lower the bass and treble, effectively boosting the mid-range. You can decode the VIN here to see all the options on your car here: www.bmwvin.com

If you're interested in trading your stock wheels for the 19" style 225 package with summer runflats, let me know. I still need to buy an extra set of wheels, would like to have at least one OEM set, and would prefer my aftermarket set to be lightweight and summer-only.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Papashawnsky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-box View Post
Hello neighbor Did you get the white one from Motorwerks? It does not have servotronic and felt great. I just got a 2013 in August (valencia orange).

Do you have the xenon adaptive lights? I'm coming from a much older car, but they're amazing to me. I have the "676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM" and I think it helps if you lower the bass and treble, effectively boosting the mid-range. You can decode the VIN here to see all the options on your car here: www.bmwvin.com

If you're interested in trading your stock wheels for the 19" style 225 package with summer runflats, let me know. I still need to buy an extra set of wheels, would like to have at least one OEM set, and would prefer my aftermarket set to be lightweight and summer-only.

Hey There! Close -I bought from MW but I got a black 2014 CPO. I'm jelly of your valencia orange though - that was far and away my favorite color, but I didn't want to buy new and couldn't find one with the specs I wanted.

No Xenon lights unfortunately. I'm not sure what the stock sound system is but my new set from Bavsound should be arriving in a couple of days and should fix the crappy sound problem.

I actually am interested in trading my wheels, but for some all season tires, not summer tires. This car came with summer tires and I don't want to have to run two sets of wheels.

shot of the car now that I'm not at work and can access imgur:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The turbo lag you're feeling is more to do with the electronic throttle pedal and BMW's odd ways they program it, than it is with the turbo. On dynos, these engines make boost at very low RPM. There is a throttle pedal fix you can do without spending a dime, search for it on the forums, it affects every BMW pretty well. There's also an aftermarket voltage booster which works really slick. It will reduce the amount of time you feel between when you stomp on the loud pedal to when the computer finally figures out what you're trying to accomplish.

As far as tunes, Dinan is good, but is very modest in gain. The throttle will become a bit more crisp, but that's elevated boost. The Dinan box doesn't do anything with the throttle itself as it's just a piggyback.

JB4 actually hacks into a few more of the vehicle's sensors. It will give a better performance for the buck. I wouldn't worry about the warranty, these guys are pretty good at not blowing shit up.

I'm not knocking Dinan, their stuff does a good job, it's just extremely pricey for what it actually does compared to other tuners who also have reputable names.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papashawnsky View Post
It's a CPO 2014 x28i with M sport package and all the other options except the HK system and driving assistance package.
From what you describe you got the M-Sport, Technology, and Premium packages but not the Lighting and Drive Assistance packages. Both are nice especially the xenon lighting. That said you are correct upgrading is expensive.

Regarding wheels and tires … running two sets is really the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
Papashawnsky
Rep

In an ideal world I'd have two sets of wheels but it's really not practical ringht now unfortunately - I have a tiny one car garage that I was barely able to clean out enough to fit the new ride in.

From what I read it sounds like the JB4 tune would correct the throttle response and give me the extra boost I wanted but I still have some trepidation about what it'll do to my car in the long term. I noticed on the BM site they have "racing use only" on all their product pages; is this any different from the dinan/afe/etc tunes and is it actually illegal in states other than just CA?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papashawnsky View Post
In an ideal world I'd have two sets of wheels but it's really not practical ringht now unfortunately - I have a tiny one car garage that I was barely able to clean out enough to fit the new ride in.

From what I read it sounds like the JB4 tune would correct the throttle response and give me the extra boost I wanted but I still have some trepidation about what it'll do to my car in the long term. I noticed on the BM site they have "racing use only" on all their product pages; is this any different from the dinan/afe/etc tunes and is it actually illegal in states other than just CA?
Dinan is good for Cali, aFe I believe, isn't. Most other parts from say, ER are also not CARB.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #9
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
There is a throttle pedal fix you can do without spending a dime, search for it on the forums, it affects every BMW pretty well.
Wait, what? I've been searching and looking through those older threads, but I never saw that there was an effective fix anywhere. Can you give us a link?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The throttle lag is a fucking joke, ultimate driving machine my arse. It's outright fucking dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
Wait, what? I've been searching and looking through those older threads, but I never saw that there was an effective fix anywhere. Can you give us a link?
+1

I would love to know this one too!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

Your problem is solved here. You may need to do this every few months, every year, or every other day. It depends on how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #13
black-box
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xD35 (1998 M3 RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
This might be it:
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812743
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

Quote:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

Your problem is solved here. You may need to do this every few months, every year, or every other day. It depends on how you drive.
This had no effect at all when I did it, so YMMV....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
Papashawnsky
Rep

I just tried the TBA reset - maybe its a placebo effect but I took the car for a spin around the block and it feels like night and day. Less jerking around at low speeds, less turbo lag, more responsive in general. It'll be annoying if I have to do it again in a couple of weeks but certainly worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Do you hit the start button once or twice? Twice turns on most of the dash lights were one just a few. If I do it once, pressing the button again does not turn the car off. What is the correct procedure for the X1?

This is with the key in my pocket, does it matter to insert it in the keyhole?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Yeah I tried that before and I'm not sure how much of a difference it made.

And it's two presses on the start button (so you want ignition on but the engine not started)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #18
Blackhawk55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

I am interested in folks' experiences with Bavsound upgrades. Are you getting a full speaker replacement kit? I heard from them previously that the X1 can benefit primarily from just replacing the front door midranges and tweeters AKA the "front soundstage" and not bothering with the hatch area as they can't be heard up front.

Now I know they have added replacement subwoofers to their arsenal since then.

Then there is the new amp system sold by bimmer-tech.net.

Wondering where the best bang for the buck is for my CPO 2015 Valencia Orange X1 with standard hifi.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #19
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
You shouldn't need to insert the key. I never have had to do it that way. I push the start button once just to turn the car on, but not the engine. Hold full throttle until I hear the electronic motor whir, then I shut the car off. I usually give it about 5 mins or so, then I start the car and drive away.

This I believe is a procedure even in your car's book, it's the official BMW short term reset for throttle behaviour learning. Once it learns how you drive your car, you may have to reset it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #20
Papashawnsky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk55 View Post
I am interested in folks' experiences with Bavsound upgrades. Are you getting a full speaker replacement kit? I heard from them previously that the X1 can benefit primarily from just replacing the front door midranges and tweeters AKA the "front soundstage" and not bothering with the hatch area as they can't be heard up front.

Wondering where the best bang for the buck is for my CPO 2015 Valencia Orange X1 with standard hifi.
I am installing the new speakers Thurs and will post an update on how it goes. If you're still interested, I have an extra set of tweeters to sell (it was cheaper to include them because of the package discount). then you could just buy the front midrange and save a couple hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #21
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You shouldn't need to insert the key. I never have had to do it that way. I push the start button once just to turn the car on, but not the engine. Hold full throttle until I hear the electronic motor whir, then I shut the car off. I usually give it about 5 mins or so, then I start the car and drive away.

This I believe is a procedure even in your car's book, it's the official BMW short term reset for throttle behaviour learning. Once it learns how you drive your car, you may have to reset it again.
So to break it down...
1. Push start to turn on accessory power
2. Floor the gas pedal and hold
3. 30 second later push start again until the car is off completely (this should cycle through ignition, back to accessory power, and then off)
4. Release the gas
5. Wait 2-5 minutes and then start the car

Right?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #22
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk55 View Post

I did the bav audio upgrade and it was impressive. I also have 1 12" in the hatch for accurate bass. The worst part of my set up is the sad under seat subs. If you do a bav kit with replacing the factory subs, with amp preferably, I'm sure it would sound great. A lot of e90 guys got repayment factory subs and amp.

Install was easy just be careful with the window switches.
Appreciate 0