Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

X1 one of "top 7 cars sold after first year"

I saw this article reposted and clicked to read it, never suspecting the X1 would make an appearance:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45effld/3-bmw-x1/

But I guess I'm not too surprised. I think some people do buy the X1 and decide in the end they want something more "SUV" like. Maybe they stay with BMW and move up to the X3. Who knows.

I don't think it's because of reliability problems, at least not primarily. My X1 has been a very solid performer, after 2 years 6 mos and 35,000 miles.

Anyway, the MB C class is on there too...otherwise, consider this the source of a riddle: What do the Chevy Cruze and BMW X1 have in common?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

The list is completely bogus. It doesn't take into account fleet or demo sales at all. Go look on autotrader right now for used 2015 X1 and you'll find a ton of demo cars that BMW recently dumped into the market. You can tell pretty easily: on the Carfax report it will say something like "corporate vehicle" or whatever as the first owner. I don't know about the other 6 cars, but these demos are the only thing putting the X1 on that list.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
The list is completely bogus. It doesn't take into account fleet or demo sales at all. Go look on autotrader right now for used 2015 X1 and you'll find a ton of demo cars that BMW recently dumped into the market. You can tell pretty easily: on the Carfax report it will say something like "corporate vehicle" or whatever as the first owner. I don't know about the other 6 cars, but these demos are the only thing putting the X1 on that list.
?

This is not specific to the X1. Other makes/models also get resold after being demos.

Quote:
don't know about the other 6 cars, but these demos are the only thing putting the X1 on that list.

Ummm...you have absolutely no basis for making this claims. You have no idea if it's due to an exceptionally large number of demos or not.

Also, we should probably note that plenty of guys chime in on these forums on how they got rid of their cars quickly, mainly because they weren't big enough, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Ummm...you have absolutely no basis for making this claims. You have no idea if it's due to an exceptionally large number of demos or not.
Sure I do. I saw it when I was researching my next car. It seemed very odd that I was turning up so many low-mileage, late model X1s. But when I started looking at the Carfax reports, it started making sense. And I noticed this oddity way before I'd ever heard of that silly list.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Sure I do. I saw it when I was researching my next car. It seemed very odd that I was turning up so many low-mileage, late model X1s. But when I started looking at the Carfax reports, it started making sense. And I noticed this oddity way before I'd ever heard of that silly list.
?

And you see the same thing with the 328, etc. Lots of demos for sale. The X1 isn't different in that regard.

And, more importantly, simply because you see a lot of demo X1s for sale does not mean that the only reason for the car being on that list is due to those demo units.

You have no idea if those demos are:

1. abnormally high in number vs. other makes/models, or

2. are high enough in number to affect the results of that list.

You simply cannot know the answers to those questions.

That is merely your theory, and a theory supported only by your weak anecdotal evidence.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Seriously, just go look on Autotrader yourself. There are 87 used 2015 X1s within a 200 mile radius of where I live. I went through the first page of results, and of those 25 vehicles, all but 4 were demos. The other 4 were listed as lease vehicles. And when you take into consideration the relatively slow sales of the X1, it's not difficult to see how skewed this list can be. People are simply not returning this car in droves as the article would suggest.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

"An average 7.8 percent of those buying this subcompact SUV trade it back in for another model after a year, which is 2.9 times more than the average among all vehicles. Again, size likely matters here, with a larger compact model from another brand likely priced on a par or less than the smallest Beemer crossover."

I am not going to read much into this. Frankly, who cares? I love my car and plan to have it for a good long while.

The comment from the article doesn't really say who traded it in. I have my doubts that demo's are included in that metric.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't demo's usually owned by BMW (for loaners) or provided by local dealers (US OPEN loaners like Buicks)? I would guess that those would be sold as used cars, but not included in the trade in metric.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Mine was a dealer-owned 6000 mi. CPO. A fairly small dealership, they had about 8-12 '13s and 14s available, three of them used, and only one dealer owned. This was 11 months ago.

Last edited by zeevette; 05-18-2015 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Forgot sumpin'
Appreciate 0