XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #23
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

From my research I tend to think the timing chain failure rate is very low - as others have said when you read forums reading a few peoples' issues can make you think there's a widespread problem.

I found this same situation when I bought my '90 Miata 8 years ago. In the early versions of the car there was an issue connected to the timing belts that was corrected in the later models, and people talked about it like it those cars were ticking time bombs. But research showed me the issue was very rare if the car was maintained by good mechanics, and I've never had a problem with my car at all. I'm really glad I bought it, in fact.

That said I'm not belittling anyone who has had real problems with their X1, and I'm sorry anyone has to deal with sh*t like that. So I'll definitely be cautious with while we're X1 shopping. Thanks for your input!

Where btw, can we get really nice fitting custom seat covers?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #24
Vegasheat
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
From my research I tend to think the timing chain failure rate is very low - as others have said when you read forums reading a few peoples' issues can make you think there's a widespread problem.

I found this same situation when I bought my '90 Miata 8 years ago. In the early versions of the car there was an issue connected to the timing belts that was corrected in the later models, and people talked about it like it those cars were ticking time bombs. But research showed me the issue was very rare if the car was maintained by good mechanics, and I've never had a problem with my car at all. I'm really glad I bought it, in fact.

That said I'm not belittling anyone who has had real problems with their X1, and I'm sorry anyone has to deal with sh*t like that. So I'll definitely be cautious with while we're X1 shopping. Thanks for your input!

Where btw, can we get really nice fitting custom seat covers?
At least you have the information so if things go very bad you knew the risk. Thousands of us did not have this information prior, if we did there would be a 90% sales drop in CPO cars with this engine. Knowing what I know I would never suggest anyone purchase one of these vehicles. Most of us do not have $23,000 sitting in the bank to address this potential nightmare. I will have an Indy shop replace mine with newer style as soon as my warranty is over, if I cannot figure out a way to dump it. Sad, never purchased a Car that was such a liability for this much money.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #25
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasheat View Post
BMW has been screwing people with this plastic garbage timing chain guide for years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...aker-1.2869493

This is potentially dangerous, if the failure Occurs on the freeway and you can’t get to a safe lane, you potentially can cause a major accident. I’m gong to join in the class action lawsuit in the US because I’m already a victim of this shitty design. Anyone who knows about the timing chain guide prior to purchase and still purchases is a victim of their own decision.

Vegas, how are you a victim? Has yours broken already? No? then you aren't a victim. Secondly, your sig says your car is a 2015. The warranty extension is for cars made earlier. Also, in march of 2014 BMW changed designs, so you already have the updated one. And you have the n20, right?

Also, timing chains are things that get replaced in cars. Usually around 100k miles. Doesn't your car have over that? Shouldn't you consider replacing the timing chain?

Yes it's expensive, but you bought a BMW. Did you not look into repair costs before you purchased it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #26
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasheat View Post
I know the difference I made a mistake, clearly you believe you are perfect. If they are extremely low, why would BMW offer an extension? They are trying to look good in the eyes of the class action judge. We are doing are best your Honor. It might as well be a rubber band because if it breaks on the road it’s a $20,000 plus nightmare if out of warranty. And if you are the unlucky one who cares if the numbers are low, you are screwed. A plastic chain guide in a hot engine? I bet most eventually break. Belt? Yes I called it a belt because subconsciously I think of rubber belts breaking not chains but when engineers screw up and cost people thousands of dollars, what difference does it make?

If his breaks, will you step up and pay for the repair? Since your advise is so much better.
Oh please, frickin’ chicken little.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #27
05X3lover
Private
Rep

So we bought that 2015 X1 I mentioned we were going to look at. It's really a gorgeous vehicle - dark gray with black interior, with 55K miles. Drives really nice, very solid. Carfax was good as well. Oh and the tires look almost new. We drove it home but wont be driving it until it gets back from an oil change and transmission flush tomorrow - something I do immediately with any new car we get. In any case I appreciate everyone's input, it certainly helped us a lot.

I'm sure I'll have other questions as we get to know the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #28
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
until it gets back from an oil change and transmission flush tomorrow
In case you are not aware, the Tranny fluid is extremely expensive. I did a drain and fill at 60k miles because I tow a lot with my X1. Estimate was $400. Luckily I worked out an arrangement and it was done for free.
I just want you to know this going in...and I’m not suggesting that you do not do it. I think BMW is recommending tranny fluid change at 100k...which may be fine for the avg X1
Mine still shifts flawlessly and that’s with X, towing, and JB4 tune. The ZF 8-speed tranny is robust to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #29
05X3lover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
In case you are not aware, the Tranny fluid is extremely expensive. I did a drain and fill at 60k miles because I tow a lot with my X1. Estimate was $400. Luckily I worked out an arrangement and it was done for free.
I just want you to know this going in...and I’m not suggesting that you do not do it. I think BMW is recommending tranny fluid change at 100k...which may be fine for the avg X1
Mine still shifts flawlessly and that’s with X, towing, and JB4 tune. The ZF 8-speed tranny is robust to say the least.
The place we're using tomorrow quoted $220 for the flush using synthetic fluid - about what we paid in Portland OR for a flush and fill on the X3 before we moved to Richmond 3 mos ago.

!00K is WAY too long, imo - my understanding is the service should be done at 30K intervals - this from several mechanics I trust, despite BMW's BS 'lifetime fluid'. In fact I remember the place in Portland recently telling us they were now starting to see failures in X3 trannys due to having never had the fluid changed.
Appreciate 0