Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

Auto lights over sensitive

Has anyone found their auto lights to be over sensitive? On a cloudy day, they are usually on. If i pull out from undercover parking 2 hours before sunset, they will stay on. Is this normal?

BTW where is the sensor? Is it possible that they are dirty?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_378 View Post
Has anyone found their auto lights to be over sensitive? On a cloudy day, they are usually on. If i pull out from undercover parking 2 hours before sunset, they will stay on. Is this normal?

BTW where is the sensor? Is it possible that they are dirty?
In the rear view mirror I think.

Mine is the same, though my previous car (Renault) was also the same.

Suspect it is a legal, rather than technical thing - don't want to be sued if the lights don't come on.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
jackinbc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

I keep my headlight switch in the off position - just like the old days, if it looks like lights are requried for others to see me - ie dark day when headlights don't help me see but do make the car more visible to others, then I'll put the parking lights on and turn on the fog lights. That way wear and tear on the hid lights (their lifetime is affected by the number of times they go on and off) is reduced. Also eliminates them being turned on when I park in the garage then go off a few seconds later when the car is stopped. For some things auto control is good but for others manual works best!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

To my mind there is no problem with them being over-sensitive - brights/high beams are not being lit - so why worry?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
To my mind there is no problem with them being over-sensitive - brights/high beams are not being lit - so why worry?
+1
      11-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

Thanks for your comments. Actually, its a usefull feature for us here in HK where street lighting is so bright its quite easy to not notice that your lights are off ... (for a while atleast).

At first they worked fine, but recently they have become over sensitive. Since others have reported erratic wiper sensors (which i also have), and i have also encountered problems with door sensors (doors unlocking as i drive around a bend), i thought this was going to be yet another sensor problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Well I totally agree with rob 378, the xenon lights are turn on all the time. I´m thinking of having my dealer to adjust this. I dont want my xenon lights to brake as early as in my Xc90 (2.5 years) and my Audi A4 (same time). This is the point with DRL, isn´t it??? I also have to turn my light switch to the 0 mode. not good (again) BMW...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
sflmb206
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 18d sdrive m-sport

I have the same problem with my auto lights. I have spoken to my local dealer who tells me it is the 'blue sky' effect, because the sun is set lower in the sky during winter and that there is no way to make them less sensitive.
My 3 previous 3 series with auto lights never had this problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

Tompak, yes its dissapointing that a feature we have paid for does not funciton as it should. Regardless of whether we choose to use it or not, the bottom line is that it should function well.

Sflmb206, the 'blue sky effect' is interesting, as i have to say that it is nearing winter here also and they were fine during summer. Hopefully its just a winter thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I don't know whether it is fair to say that it is not functioning as it should. Does it turn on the headlights when the condition warrants it? If it does that then as far as I am concerned the automatic lights are working fine.

When it should switch off is far less critical and much harder to judge. I have also wondered why sometimes it doesn't switch off when there is clearly enough light. But it may be a due to delay timer where it will wait to see if the lighting level stablises to avoid switching on and off repeatedly in quick succession. Imagine the situation where you are driving quickly through different lighting conditions - there is no way the sensor could ever keep up and you will end up eventually driving in the dark waiting for the light to switch back on. What if someone has a crash? The liability would then lie with BMW.

Either way I don't think it is a big deal so long as the headlight switches on quickly and automatically when I head into a carpark or a tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #11
El loco
Rep
Drives: E46 325i

Don't know about the autolight in bmw cause my E46 didn't have it, but in merc the autolight do its job very well, and i like the follow me home and coming home function.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

Good point jctg, i will see if there is a time delay for it to switch off on sunny days.

But as far as im concerned, i would define "functioning well" not pnly by turning on when warranted, but also turning off when no longer needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good point jctg, i will see if there is a time delay for it to switch off on sunny days.

But as far as im concerned, i would define "functioning well" not pnly by turning on when warranted, but also turning off when no longer needed.
True. But maybe it is just working to factory settings. I doubt they will tailor individual settings to different markets and I know that there are plenty of days in HK where the car won't see a lot of good natural light because of smog, overcast days or tall buildings.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

jctg,

You could be correct, as the other posts which acknowledge this same problem all come from (northern) European countries with presumably similar overcast winters. But i dont see any other cars here in HK with their lights on during the day, and I could hardly be the only driver using auto lights. Hell, if i wanted driving lights on during the day, i could have bought a Volvo.

It could also be that some X1's have faulty sensors, no?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

El loco, very true about Merc's. The auto lights on the C models i have driven switch on and off in an instant.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
jctg,

You could be correct, as the other posts which acknowledge this same problem all come from (northern) European countries with presumably similar overcast winters. But i dont see any other cars here in HK with their lights on during the day, and I could hardly be the only driver using auto lights. Hell, if i wanted driving lights on during the day, i could have bought a Volvo.

It could also be that some X1's have faulty sensors, no?
Interesting. I have seen lots of European cars, well BMW, Merc and Audi with lights on during the day, evenin bright sunlight.

Sure the sensors could be faulty or poor calibrated. Have you asked your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

It was cloudy this morning and my lights were on. However I'd rather have them err on the side of being on for safety reasons.
      12-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
Ykan
Registered
Japan
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive 25i

You can ask your dealer to change softwear setting of Auto Light. They have 3 settings. Normal, Sensitive and High Sensitive. OriginalFactory setting is Sensitive, so ask them to change it to Normal. It takes only 10 minutes with no extra charge in Japan.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #19
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

Ykan, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0