03-02-2023, 11:22 PM   #45
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectbarnie View Post
So far everything’s good. Only issue I had was when temps was around 20ish degrees, I had a code pop up and go away for a stuck open thermostat (it only happened when my wife drove the car but she never mentioned any issues). Also, running the heater in the cold drops the coolant temp drastically. My temps are usually around 230 f with heater off and with heater on, it drops to around 170 f.
Water or oil temp? I actually just experienced this for the first time in December, as it never got cold enough last winters for me to really notice. But, it can take quite some time to warm up if its less than 30ish degrees, and it can struggle to blow hot air at extended highway speeds. I blocked off the kidneys for a roadtrip to the east side of the state and it was a significant improvement. If you live in sub 25F weather and want to run this rad, I would definitely plan on blocking off the grilles. Still would 100% recommend as it's so much better than the oem radiator.

Last edited by Westies; 03-02-2023 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #46
projectbarnie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westies View Post
Water or oil temp? I actually just experienced this for the first time in December, as it never got cold enough last winters for me to really notice. But, it can take quite some time to warm up if its less than 30ish degrees, and it can struggle to blow hot air at extended highway speeds. I blocked off the kidneys for a roadtrip to the east side of the state and it was a significant improvement. If you live in sub 25F weather and want to run this rad, I would definitely plan on blocking off the grilles. Still would 100% recommend as it's so much better than the oem radiator.
Oil temps. And yeah, regardless, I would totally recommend this radiator just for the peace of mind that it offers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:25 PM   #47
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectbarnie View Post
Oil temps. And yeah, regardless, I would totally recommend this radiator just for the peace of mind that it offers.
Following along here as I have just joined the bunk cooling system club.

'14 35i, new to me as of 11/22, currently with 37k. Issue free during its first northern New England winter, up until a few days ago. On a longer interstate drive (5 hrs) got a low coolant warning about 2/3 through the trip.

Added coolant the next day and ran w/ hood open and basically had coolant pouring out of the bottom port of the expansion tank (could have been leaking from above and running down the tank). Could see the dried blue drops from spray around adjacent parts. Would top off coolant (1-2 L) and 25 min of running later the light would ping again - needing another liter plus to refill.

Shop replaced the expansion tank and did a pressure test. I asked them to be sure no other leaks within the cooling system and they said the pressure test revealed no other leaks. So, that's where things stand now.

Reading how similar others' experiences have been, I am readying myself for this being an extended struggle. For those with greater technical or experiential knowledge:

What causes an expansion tank to fail suddenly? Back pressure? I am no expert, but it does not seem like a strained part with a finite lifespan.

If the expansion tank failure is essentially the result of latent design flaws within the whole cooling system, what is the best way stay ahead of any possible/likely future failures? Constant monitoring of coolant levels? Using OBD to check in codes/coolant temps frequently?

In the event I need to replace the radiator, I am inclined to opt for the CSF 7046 - as you said, peace of mind. But living in a colder climate would need to wrestle with some of the noted temperature issues (sub 20f is fairly standard where I am between December-February). Curious if/how folks deal with that.

Appreciate any shared thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 11:36 AM   #48
X1House
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

On my 5th radiator on my 2015 X1.. Dealer put case in to corporate and they are FINALLY acknowledging there is an issue with this model.
Appreciate 0