Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #1
norbxert
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 2.0d xDrive

Question Help me identify if it is gearbox issue or not

Hello guys,

I just joined the community, few weeks ago I bought my first BMW X1 from 2012, 2.0d xDrive with manual transmission.

First day when I bought the car I had an issue with starting the car to move in first gear after a stop sign, the shifter was in the first gear but the car would not engage, it was really weird and I booked a visit to my local shop.

They change my oil, filters, brake pads, cleaned the intake manifold and replaced the turbo actuator, I was happy and I hoped that the problem is solved.

After I drove the car for a day without any issues the problem came back. After testing a little what the issue can be here is what I found out: now I can tell the difference when I put the car into the first gear and when I put the car in a 'false' first gear. When I put it in first gear I can feel that it is a little harder and when the "false" first gear appears it is really smooth.

When I hit this 'false' first gear the car won't start for anything, I can press the clutch and put back to neutral but still the car is blocked in that 'false' first gear. I have to stop the car and after 2-3 mins I am able to start it again and move it. If I am careful when I drive I can avoid this by not letting out the clutch when I feel that it is not in the first gear.

After this happens and I scan the car I have a few EGR error messages like: 40E9 and 4B82, but I think those are from the state of the engine when it couldn't move.

I called the shop and they told me to search for a used gearbox because it needs replacement ( that conclusion was made on cellphone) but for me it is really hard to believe because the car only has 147k km and it is manual transmission.

I cannot find anywhere information about something similar, if it happened before to anybody please give your input!
Appreciate 0