XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

A tree fell on my car...

So I took a little break so to speak from the forums, but I'm back. I hope you all enjoyed your reprieve because its over.

So coming out morning after halloween, I find a tree lying across the driveway...thought I was lucky because it looked like it had landed about two feet away from the car, but no, it had hit the car and bounced off.

But looking at it, it was clear that it needed a new trunk, new rear windshield, and the right rear quarter panel needed to be replaced. At least that's what it looked like on surface.

Somehow, the collision centre (which was also on my insurance' approved list) came up with $17K of damage, suggesting the rear seats needed replacement and etc...I had no idea they were damaged. Just goes to show you there can be a lot under the surface I guess.

So as a result, insurance has apparently decided its a total loss and are assigning someone to the file to get me an offer for my car.

I have to say it is bittersweet. While I always enjoy getting a new to me car, this car (I had a Chrysler 300 SRT8) was fantastic. Solid as a rock, engine was a 6.4L Hemi and it moved that thing pretty good, interior was decent but well laid out...it was just a nice car. I had planned on driving it for at least two more years before selling. But no longer.

So while I have no idea what they are going to offer me, I'd expect it should be pretty good - there is only two cars like mine for sale in all of Canada on Auto Trader right now, and its a more rare car since they stopped producing it in the 300 body style. So they've held their value quite well.

But I'm pretty sure my next car is going to be a used 2017 Audi S6. I have my eye on one that is in that beautiful blue colour, I'll try to post some pics if it happens, but it will be a short term 2 year lease takeover and I'm really looking forward to it. The interior in that Audi is stunning. So flame away my BMW friends, flame away!

I've heard with an APR or EPL tune, the S6 is transformed. But I'd worry about the transmission, heard it is a weak point as a DCT, so probably won't tune...especially since leased.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      11-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I thought this was going to be a philosophical thing......

Last edited by Salty Dog; 11-15-2019 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
b92538.00
      11-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I thought this was going to a philosophical thing......
Me too. Did anyone hear the alarm?
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Sorry to hear....unless you ultimately are happy to be getting a different ride.

A guy at my gym has a Chrysler 300 SRT8 that he's put a lot of work into. I never liked the cars until I seen his.

I like Audi's as well....just the chances of problems kept me away such as timing chain issues, and the fact that it seemed like most of the repairs I read of them across the board required removing the engine.

I do all my own wrenching as it's kind of therapy for me. But if it's a repair that is going to require me to expend a lot of money even with me doing the labor, I tend to shy away.

But that was years ago when looking at them. Maybe things are different now.
      11-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Sorry to hear about the car but at least no one was hurt. You can replace a car. I've had cars that I wished a tree would fall on. I hope you enjoy the Audi or whatever you get as a replacement. My sister has the S4 and loves it.
      11-15-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Dude that sucks!!! But as we say in Jersey, "bro, I got a cousin that can buff that right out".
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      11-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The only solution is to cut down all trees in your area within a 3 mile radius.

Seriously though trees are no joke. Back when I worked in insurance we had a claim where a tree fell through someone's house, landed about a foot away from their child's bed.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
This.

We need to see the extent of the damages so keyboard warriors such as myself can give 100% accurate estimates.
Appreciate 4
Salty Dog3572.50
King Rudi13152.00
b92538.00
BigHunk269.50
      11-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I don’t know how this works in Canada, but in the USA I would get comps of very similar vehicles from on-line for sale sites, BaT, etc for a unique vehicle/configuration. The adjuster may not know or may lowball you if you’re not prepared with some data.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #11
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I don’t know how this works in Canada, but in the USA I would get comps of very similar vehicles from on-line for sale sites, BaT, etc for a unique vehicle/configuration. The adjuster may not know or may lowball you if you’re not prepared with some data.
+1

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #12
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
I've done that with a car I lost in a fire years ago. They wanted to give me way less than I had in it. I produced some pictures and receipts and ended up getting quite a bit more than the original offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Who is the OP and where did he come from???

Joe! Glad to see you back sir. I'll be honest here, when the boxier style bodied 300 came onto the market, I liked the body style. Then I started hearing the "looks like a Bentley" comments and that turned me off from them for a long time. I just always considered them a poor mans wanna-be Bentley.....until I raced a guy that had an SRT8 that he had sunk some money into; been a closet fan since. I hate to see you lose a car that you held in such high regard, but at the same time; you're about to be upgrading. It's how the universe works sir. Post up some pics when you can.

Glad to see you back.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15573.50
Joekerr7926.00
      11-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #14
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

Sorry to hear. A couple years back we were weathering a blizzard and the wife and I were sipping wine by the fire when we heard a heavy thump outside. Couldn't see anything from inside the house. Went out the next morning to find a 70' pine tree had dropped into the driveway less than a foot off the rear bumper of both cars blocking them in against the garage. I spent the next 8 hrs digging and cutting the tree out of almost 2 feet of snow. Next door neighbor had another tree come down on their roof and poke a branch into their living room in the same storm. Trees are no joke.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #15
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
Sorry to hear. A couple years back we were weathering a blizzard and the wife and I were sipping wine by the fire when we heard a heavy thump outside. Couldn't see anything from inside the house. Went out the next morning to find a 70' pine tree had dropped into the driveway less than a foot off the rear bumper of both cars blocking them in against the garage. I spent the next 8 hrs digging and cutting the tree out of almost 2 feet of snow. Next door neighbor had another tree come down on their roof and poke a branch into their living room in the same storm. Trees are no joke.
I F'n hate pine trees. That sounds like a nightmare. I had to cut up a giant pine tree that fell across one of my grandfather's fences and the sap was literally everywhere. Everything was sticking to me, the saw, my clothes, hair, etc. And that was in the middle of summer. Digging it out of that much snow sounds even worse.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #16
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
So I took a little break so to speak from the forums, but I'm back. I hope you all enjoyed your reprieve because its over.

So coming out morning after halloween, I find a tree lying across the driveway...thought I was lucky because it looked like it had landed about two feet away from the car, but no, it had hit the car and bounced off.

But looking at it, it was clear that it needed a new trunk, new rear windshield, and the right rear quarter panel needed to be replaced. At least that's what it looked like on surface.

Somehow, the collision centre (which was also on my insurance' approved list) came up with $17K of damage, suggesting the rear seats needed replacement and etc...I had no idea they were damaged. Just goes to show you there can be a lot under the surface I guess.

So as a result, insurance has apparently decided its a total loss and are assigning someone to the file to get me an offer for my car.

I have to say it is bittersweet. While I always enjoy getting a new to me car, this car (I had a Chrysler 300 SRT8) was fantastic. Solid as a rock, engine was a 6.4L Hemi and it moved that thing pretty good, interior was decent but well laid out...it was just a nice car. I had planned on driving it for at least two more years before selling. But no longer.

So while I have no idea what they are going to offer me, I'd expect it should be pretty good - there is only two cars like mine for sale in all of Canada on Auto Trader right now, and its a more rare car since they stopped producing it in the 300 body style. So they've held their value quite well.

But I'm pretty sure my next car is going to be a used 2017 Audi S6. I have my eye on one that is in that beautiful blue colour, I'll try to post some pics if it happens, but it will be a short term 2 year lease takeover and I'm really looking forward to it. The interior in that Audi is stunning. So flame away my BMW friends, flame away!

I've heard with an APR or EPL tune, the S6 is transformed. But I'd worry about the transmission, heard it is a weak point as a DCT, so probably won't tune...especially since leased.
Sorry about the car, but nice pick on the S6. You should buy my Hellcat instead, though.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      11-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #17
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Agreed - there is only two for sale in all of Canada though right now on Trader.ca, and only one is comparable, the other has a lot lower mileage. But I've already printed both out in case they disappear from Trader. I'll search Kijjiji and others too just to make sure, but Trader is pretty popular here.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #18
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Me too. Did anyone hear the alarm?
As it turns out, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, it doesn't make a sound. Because it did not trigger the alarm (somehow...quite uncertain how not, but I did a remote start on it that morning and it would have been immobilized had the alarm went off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Sorry to hear....unless you ultimately are happy to be getting a different ride.

A guy at my gym has a Chrysler 300 SRT8 that he's put a lot of work into. I never liked the cars until I seen his.

I like Audi's as well....just the chances of problems kept me away such as timing chain issues, and the fact that it seemed like most of the repairs I read of them across the board required removing the engine.

I do all my own wrenching as it's kind of therapy for me. But if it's a repair that is going to require me to expend a lot of money even with me doing the labor, I tend to shy away.

But that was years ago when looking at them. Maybe things are different now.
I am actually sort of happy to be stepping into an S6 (hopefully), I've had this car for five years and while I was happy to drive it for another two, I've had a little bit of an itch lately for a different car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

I hope you like the S6. I drove an RS5 the other day, and it felt like I was driving a boat.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #20
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Came in here for pictures. Disappointed.

Regardless, sorry to hear OP.
F30lolz6798.50
      11-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #21
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I hope you like the S6. I drove an RS5 the other day, and it felt like I was driving a boat.
Nah, that's not a boat. My Hellcat is a boat
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #22
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Nah, that's not a boat. My Hellcat is a boat
In all fairness, I had just stepped out of a TT RS, so it was a stark change. Although I wasn't the only one to comment about trying to pilot the lounge chair - nobody seemed to like it. But once again - out of a TT RS into the RS5 into a R8 RS+ - so it had some very tough competition.
Appreciate 0