XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

09-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

Question 2014 X1 transmission fluid type

I couldn't find a single mention of the specific transmission fluid specs for this vehicle in the manual or the service and warranty manual. I'd appreciate if anyone could chime in. Also, does the oil pan need to be replaced at the time of replacing the fluid?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

My first question is which transmission do you have? For automatics .... ZF8HP or ZF6HP? The zf8-speed is a bit more specific when it comes to fluids. The safest option is to use ZF Lifeguard 8. However I've read that LM Top Tec 1800 is a good alternative as well. FCPEuro prescribed them as a cheaper option to the ZF.
Do a search and you can find other alternatives.

The ZF6HP being an older tranny, you can find many options apart from ZF Lifeguard 6. Those includes the Top tec 1800, Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol Synthetic MV LV spec, Redline D6.

Re: Pan, I think it is a good idea if it's your first time as it would have accumulated quite a bit of wear particles from new. After that, you may opt for a drain/fill for the next round. Be sure to use the same brand of fluid. Not sure if it's a good idea to mix fluids.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
My first question is which transmission do you have? For automatics .... ZF8HP or ZF6HP? The zf8-speed is a bit more specific when it comes to fluids. The safest option is to use ZF Lifeguard 8. However I've read that LM Top Tec 1800 is a good alternative as well. FCPEuro prescribed them as a cheaper option to the ZF.
Do a search and you can find other alternatives.

The ZF6HP being an older tranny, you can find many options apart from ZF Lifeguard 6. Those includes the Top tec 1800, Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol Synthetic MV LV spec, Redline D6.

Re: Pan, I think it is a good idea if it's your first time as it would have accumulated quite a bit of wear particles from new. After that, you may opt for a drain/fill for the next round. Be sure to use the same brand of fluid. Not sure if it's a good idea to mix fluids.
Thank you for your response. I have the 8-speed automatic.
Is this the LM you are talking about?
Also for the pan there is a huge price difference between the genuine bmw and the zf one. Any benefits to going with the former?

Last edited by backslashv; 09-16-2019 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashv View Post
Thank you for your response. I have the 8-speed automatic.
Is this the LM you are talking about?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashv View Post
Also for the pan there is a huge different between the genuine bmw and the zf one. Any benefits to going with the former?
Hah. I didn't know FCP offers the BMW branded one.

Another good source of info is to skip out over to the f30 forum as they share the same zf8 as the e84. Lots of info there.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
ZF is still a oe brand has a fresh magnet and clean also used zf6 for mine n55 6sp just as manufacturer had a lot of metal and particulites @75K

pentosin is a euro brand that specs out also, maybe shell , tc1470 for transfer case lube fyi, put royal purple full synthetic in differentials

Last edited by proteus290; 09-27-2020 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0