Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Car Overheating Warning

So I was driving on Saturday and on a stoplight, the LCD screen showed "engine overheating" message warning and the car began running weak. I managed to just crawl into a parking lot to turn the engine off.

But the weird thing is the instrument cluster oil temp gauge is showing normal temp level.

I opened the hood and there seem to be no signs of overheating. Unlike any real overheating cars where you can feel its unusually hot when popping up the hood.

I restarted the car and the warning is gone and managed to drive home. The only other thing I noticed is this loud humming sound like the fan is working so hard that I can hear it from inside the cabin.

Is this the thermostat detecting its overheating even if its not?

I was able to get an appointment in the service center tomorrow morning but just want to get some ideas on what this could be. TIA!
      10-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Brought my car to BMW but they wont cover the repair. Brought it there after reading somewhere here that some people out of warranty got the dealer to cover it.

Anyway, I brought it to my indy instead and they will submit a quote to my extended warranty provider if they will cover. If not then I have to pay it at least from indy should be too much.
      10-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda View Post
Brought my car to BMW but they wont cover the repair. Brought it there after reading somewhere here that some people out of warranty got the dealer to cover it.

Anyway, I brought it to my indy instead and they will submit a quote to my extended warranty provider if they will cover. If not then I have to pay it at least from indy should be too much.
What are they saying the repair is? Thermostat?

If the repair is the replacing a malfunctioning thermostat it should be covered under a 10 year / 120k mile warranty I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
RXeckless
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda View Post
So I was driving on Saturday and on a stoplight, the LCD screen showed "engine overheating" message warning and the car began running weak. I managed to just crawl into a parking lot to turn the engine off.

But the weird thing is the instrument cluster oil temp gauge is showing normal temp level.

I opened the hood and there seem to be no signs of overheating. Unlike any real overheating cars where you can feel its unusually hot when popping up the hood.

I restarted the car and the warning is gone and managed to drive home. The only other thing I noticed is this loud humming sound like the fan is working so hard that I can hear it from inside the cabin.

Is this the thermostat detecting its overheating even if its not?

I was able to get an appointment in the service center tomorrow morning but just want to get some ideas on what this could be. TIA!
The humming noise may be the water pump is failing!

Our thermostats fail open by design so a failing thermostat should not cause over-heating. Did you check the coolant reservoir? is it full? Did the car throw a code of any kind?

I just recently had my thermostat fail and it was covered under warranty, and believe the water pump is a known issue and also covered under a special extended warranty.
2006 RX-8 GT GG (Sold), 2009 RX-8 R3 VR Red (Sold)
2013 BMW 135i Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 1
AK_Wes3.00
      11-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXeckless View Post
The humming noise may be the water pump is failing!

Our thermostats fail open by design so a failing thermostat should not cause over-heating. Did you check the coolant reservoir? is it full? Did the car throw a code of any kind?

I just recently had my thermostat fail and it was covered under warranty, and believe the water pump is a known issue and also covered under a special extended warranty.
Good to know on the Water Pump!!! I didn't know they had a special extended warranty for that as well. I'm bringing mine into the dealership tomorrow morning, as I currently have the Service Engine Soon light on and after hooking up my OBDII scanner it is throwing the following code: P0597 "Thermostat Heater Control Circuit / Open"

Thinking my only issue is the thermostat being stuck open, so I'm hoping it is covered for repairs!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

As stated before if your thermostat is stuck open it won't overheat unless you're just really low on coolant. It is the waterpumps job to circulate the fluid and these are known to fail on the N55. I haven't spent any time reading up on the N20 but I would assume it is also an electric waterpump.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #7
RXeckless
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Good to know on the Water Pump!!! I didn't know they had a special extended warranty for that as well. I'm bringing mine into the dealership tomorrow morning, as I currently have the Service Engine Soon light on and after hooking up my OBDII scanner it is throwing the following code: P0597 "Thermostat Heater Control Circuit / Open"

Thinking my only issue is the thermostat being stuck open, so I'm hoping it is covered for repairs!
Personally I emailed BMW with my VIN, mileage, code so I had some sort of documentation that it was covered to give a copy to the dealer. If your problem is in fact the thermostat the diagnostic will be covered as well. Good Luck
2006 RX-8 GT GG (Sold), 2009 RX-8 R3 VR Red (Sold)
2013 BMW 135i Sport (Sold)

Last edited by RXeckless; 11-06-2019 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXeckless View Post
Personally I emailed BMW with my VIN, mileage, code so I had some sort of documentation that it was covered to give a copy to the dealer. If your problem is in fact the thermostat the diagnostic will be covered as well. Good Luck
Thanks for the reply!

BMW and the stealership service department fully covered the diagnostic fee ($139) and the thermostat replacement under the extended warranty. Guessing it would have been close to $750 total cost if it wasn't covered under warranty. 2015 BMW X1 with 42k miles....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Thanks for the reply!

BMW and the stealership service department fully covered the diagnostic fee ($139) and the thermostat replacement under the extended warranty. Guessing it would have been close to $750 total cost if it wasn't covered under warranty. 2015 BMW X1 with 42k miles....
Was this an extended warranty you bought when you bought the car, or is this an extended warranty like the footwell module?
Appreciate 0