XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #45
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
In the end, it depends on expectations.

I truly don't mean this in a disparaging way, but don't ever invite me over to show you the differences. It will ruin you and you'll be shopping for a new display. There are major differences. Once you see them, they're difficult to un-see. Honestly I may have been happier before I learned the difference. Truly an ignorance is bliss situation. Trust me.

Edit: a quick example is OLED vs a high-end LCD panel. The OLED seduces people with their inky blacks, but you put them next to a reference LCD and OLED can look underwhelming. Below is this exact comparison. The OLED on the left is clearly struggling to reproduce this bright scene. BTW- these are both SONY displays using the exact same settings.
What's your recommendation for a budget TV for a home office? Looking for sub $800(ish) as it's not going to be my primary tv. What features should I be looking for or prioritizing? I'm looking for something around 42" or less as it's really just going to be something in the corner.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #46
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
In the end, it depends on expectations.

I truly don't mean this in a disparaging way, but don't ever invite me over to show you the differences. It will ruin you and you'll be shopping for a new display. There are major differences. Once you see them, they're difficult to un-see. Honestly I may have been happier before I learned the difference. Truly an ignorance is bliss situation. Trust me.

Edit: a quick example is OLED vs a high-end LCD panel. The OLED seduces people with their inky blacks, but you put them next to a reference LCD and OLED can look underwhelming. Below is this exact comparison. The OLED on the left is clearly struggling to reproduce this bright scene. BTW- these are both SONY displays using the exact same settings.
What's your recommendation for a budget TV for a home office? Looking for sub $800(ish) as it's not going to be my primary tv. What features should I be looking for or prioritizing? I'm looking for something around 42" or less as it's really just going to be something in the corner.
SONY or Samsung are a safe bet. As you describe, you're not really going to be watching it critically, so it not a big deal. Considering it's an office TV you might want to see what smart tv platform your prefer. There are subtle differences in features and capabilities. As for the picture, I would say the most important things I look for are usually backlight uniformity, and motion issues. Both really drive me nuts when poorly performing. Check out rtings.com for a detailed explanation. They do a pretty good job.

Perhaps not relevant for $800 42" display shopping, but image retention it a VERY real issue for OLED displays. Not a good option for a tv that might keep a news scroll on for hours on end. That shit will burn into the screen.
      07-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #47
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

I've got Car Jump Battery Starter/Booster (30% OFF on prime day) for total $63CAD on amazon.ca

not sure if you have the same on amazon.com

Upgraded Car Jump Starter, GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh (Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine) Portable Auto Battery Booster Power Pack Phone Charger with Quick Charge 3.0, Built-in LED Light
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty powerful battery booster as I used my friend's on my car before. Also can be used as a simple charger for phone etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #48
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

For those asking about Dyson, they're doing 20% off on certain refurb products on eBay, including the V8 that was mentioned.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/dysonoutlet...1&_ipg=&_from=
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #49
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
That's not a terrible deal, but I'm a hard wood guy.

(waiting for beavis & butthead-esque comment from moddie in 5....4....3....2....)
Dyson direct has the V8 Absolute today for $329.99, new not refurbished. That includes the hard floor head and a free accessory kit. Patience paid off as I just ordered one.

https://www.dyson.com/sticks/dyson-v...ckel-iron.html
      07-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #50
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Dyson direct has the V8 Absolute today for $329.99, new not refurbished. That includes the hard floor head and a free accessory kit. Patience paid off as I just ordered one.

https://www.dyson.com/sticks/dyson-v...ckel-iron.html

Appreciate the heads up! Checking out now!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #51
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I bought the Sonos Beam. The Dyson discussion reminds me that my wife wants the Dyson hairdryer, but it’s not in any of the sales i’ve seen. If anyone has any leads...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #52
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I bought the Sonos Beam. The Dyson discussion reminds me that my wife wants the Dyson hairdryer, but it's not in any of the sales i've seen. If anyone has any leads...
Try checking the Dyson site from time to time. That vacuum was over $100 more just yesterday. Checked it today and got lucky.
Darth One6612.50
      07-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #53
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
As a certified "Master Calibrator" with decades of experience calibrating video systems, I can confirm this is poppycock. That is a hardware limitation you're looking at.

I'm not a video snob and I have no problems buying my TVs and monitors at Costco.
I have a duo monitor (different brand, resolution, etc) setup on my desktop PC (talk about looking at monitors side by side all day long) and they initially looked like the picture you showed.
I used a simple monitor calibration tool and they look close enough.
Yes, I know the snobs will poop on such consumer toys and nothing short of hiring a "certified master calibrator" will do, but I'm not going to pay more than the monitor cost me to calibrate it.

You said it yourself: "Truly an ignorance is bliss situation. Trust me."
I say: good enough is good enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #54
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
As a certified "Master Calibrator" with decades of experience calibrating video systems, I can confirm this is poppycock. That is a hardware limitation you're looking at.

I'm not a video snob and I have no problems buying my TVs and monitors at Costco.
I have a duo monitor (different brand, resolution, etc) setup on my desktop PC (talk about looking at monitors side by side all day long) and they initially looked like the picture you showed.
I used a simple monitor calibration tool and they look close enough.
Yes, I know the snobs will poop on such consumer toys and nothing short of hiring a "certified master calibrator" will do, but I'm not going to pay more than the monitor cost me to calibrate it.

You said it yourself: "Truly an ignorance is bliss situation. Trust me."
I say: good enough is good enough.
Actually I don't have the attitude that a professional calibration is required. That's a significant reason I recommend SONY TVs to my friends and family. SONY has presets* that are accurate enough for everyone but the most hardcore/mature viewer.

* Speaking to SONY's "Cinema Home" and "Cinema Pro" presets.
      07-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #55
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I bought the Sonos Beam. The Dyson discussion reminds me that my wife wants the Dyson hairdryer, but it’s not in any of the sales i’ve seen. If anyone has any leads...
So coincidentally, my wife comes home from the hairdresser this weekend going on and on about how much she now wants one of these Dyson hairdryers. I looked at the price. She said she would use a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath that always seem to be available, but found out she can’t use it for the Dyson.

I don’t get it, but maybe that’s because I don’t have much hair left on my head anymore. A towel and air are all I need. If you find a deal somewhere please share and I’ll do the same.
      07-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #56
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

It's all the rage, apparently. I actually found really good pricing for the base hairdryer with the 20% eBay store coupon, as long as she'd be ok with refurbished. But nooooo, she wants brand new, and it has to be this top line rig that has all these attachments that look like a variety of sex toys. $550 and none of the discounts apply.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Holy shit you’re making it worse. I thought $400 was insane.

My wife chatted with someone on Dyson’s website and they offered 20% off plus some accessories but only on one that is Fuchsia colored. Of course she hates that color, as if it matters.
      07-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #58
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Holy shit you’re making it worse. I thought $400 was insane.

My wife chatted with someone on Dyson’s website and they offered 20% off plus some accessories but only on one that is Fuchsia colored. Of course she hates that color, as if it matters.
Hmm we might bite on a 20% discount...i might try to get that deal. If it’s fuchsia then she’ll just have to live with it
Appreciate 0