XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #111
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
WTH? I was taught what they taught and published in the driver education guides. You can say it's a good guideline or a bad one, or anything else -- I don't care in that regard -- but the fact remains that's what the rule was at the time.
Sorry - I assumed that was just what your instructor told you, not what was actually in the printed guide.

So, in practice, if you came to a full and complete stop, and were just about to proceed through the intersection, and another car pulled up to the stop sign on your right, you'd be required to hold tight until that car stopped and then passed through the intersection?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #112
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I live in Tampa Bay, FL. The biggest toolbags I see on the road are the guys driving big jacked up trucks with not a spec of dirt on them. BMW drivers here are tame in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #113
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
At the end of the day, I drive a BMW M3, and the real road ragers don't.

Think I'm an asshole because I wanted to get in the lane you're in and got in front of you? Well fuck you.
Think I'm an asshole for driving slightly faster than you? Well then fuck you.

I'm driving safer than most people on the road, and I'm an asshole? To try to make sure I don't look like an asshole to the driver of the car I'm about to get in front of when switching lanes, I'll keep my blinker on longer than usual to see if they'll give me room. That's as far as I'll go to try to look like a "good" driver. If you still think I'm an asshole, well fuck you then.
So what you're really saying is you agree with the article.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #114
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Sorry - I assumed that was just what your instructor told you, not what was actually in the printed guide.

So, in practice, if you came to a full and complete stop, and were just about to proceed through the intersection, and another car pulled up to the stop sign on your right, you'd be required to hold tight until that car stopped and then passed through the intersection?
Well, I didn't say what they preached made any damn sense; I just said it's what they taught, i.e. the theory, not the practice. I only offered that as an explanation of why some drivers may be seen as jumping ahead when, in fact, in those drivers' minds they may not be jumping ahead. Sure, that can't account for every observed incident of a driver "butting in line," but perhaps some...I was merely interested in giving some folks the benefit of the doubt. That's it.

In practice, the guy who just arrived at the intersection still has to stop, so there isn't much point in waiting for him, and I can't say I don't really know any folks who would wait. But, to address your point, on your drivers test back then, the correct answer was that you had to yield in the absence of anything else. I imagine that's why they changed the guidance from yield to the right to FIFO with rightward yielding when two arrive at the same time.

When did the guidance change? I don't know; I've been driving for almost 35 years. Why did it change? Well, I guess it's likely very much like one of the reasons prohibition was repealed: a rule nobody's willing to follow may as well not be a rule. Did it make sense to change the guidance, of course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #115
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

old school Mustang driver yelled obscenities at me on the commute this morning.

guess i contributed to the stereotype somehow
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #116
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Study finds BMW drivers are jerks!

Personally, I think this is hilarious as I find BMW drivers to be more in tune with traffic than most other folks. And, yes, we DO want you to get your slow-ass minivan out of the left lane if you are not passing.

Here's the link
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-driv...214456020.html

Here's the content (in case they pull).
Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

In the older study, by researchers at the University of California, BMW drivers were far less likely to stop for a pedestrian who had just entered a crosswalk, the New York Times notes.

“In our crosswalk study, none of the cars in the beater-car category drove through the crosswalk. They always stopped for pedestrians," researcher Paul K. Piff told the paper. He added that not only were "fancy cars were less likely to stop," but also that "BMW drivers were the worst."

Drivers of BMWs and other high-status cars (including Prius hybrids) were also more likely to cheat at four-way-stop intersections, according to the research.

In the second study, in the U.K., motorists were asked to identify the make and color of the car from which they have most frequently suffered road-rage incidents, the Daily Mail reports.

The study of 2,837 motorists found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #117
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
They did the same study in England a couple of years ago and also blamed BMW drivers.
I said it then and I'll say it again - as an angry BMW driver I say that the problem is with eveyone else, now get the hell out of my way.
      08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #118
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

More discussion here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876568
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #119
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

I live in an area where BMW 3er's and 5er's are as common as Civics and Accords. The majority are driven by women in their 40's. Not to be misogynistic, but maybe it's just that women can't drive?

All kidding aside, I've never seen anyone in a Beemer rage at anyone so I'm not sure what that's about. I do think there is a public perception that the majority of BMW owners are badge whores who bought a BMW because they think it gives them status. Unfortunately, these people give enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts (who just appreciate a great car) a bad name.

I think every brand has jerks. When you compare luxury brands it would only make sense that BMW has the most jerks as they sell the most cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #120
Alpha_Zulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is, Alpine White

Garage List
BMW drivers are jerks. I work at the dealer and the amount of tools I see walk through our doors is disgusting. It's sad but true. Deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #121
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Stereotyping happens to all kind of Groups. Including us BMW Drivers.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick.
AND
It's better to be driving a nice car than just standing outside fingerpointing at it.
:-)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #122
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Everyone's just jealous that BMW probably has the best technology around for cars.

Also, the survey asked, what, 2,700 people who they thought the worst drivers were? Bitch please, survey more people before you post you're piece of shit survey on the Internet. The editors were already biased and hated on BMW from the beginning, so BMW was bound to have the biggest jerks in their eyes.

Fuck everyone
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #123
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I saw this. I live in an area where BMW's and MB's are the most common vehicles. I am surprised that MB drivers are not listed. They are the worst...I thought this before owning a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #124
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

My wife corroborates this finding.

I hit 125mph with her in the car the other day, and she actually elevated me to a$$hole level.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #125
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I have a new saying:

Why do nice guys finish last? Because they don't drive BMWs
      08-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #126
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

hahaha this article (and the comments) just made my day! Just bought my first bmw and I have a friend (drives a Grand Cherokee Limited) who called me a dbag for buying this car...only to later find out he would TOTALLY get a e92 M3 (says it's his dream car)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #127
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I have the unusual distinction of driving BOTH a 2013 328i M Sport and a 2005 Prius (and a 2002 Eurovan). Z_K stated that fast-driving Prius owners don't get the benefit of good mileage. I'm here to tell you (and, yes, I drive aggressively) that I can drive the Prius very quickly and STILL save gas. Yes, it might go as low as 42 MPG, but in my book, that is still saving gas. So far, we have 118K on the Prius and have had ZERO problems with the battery. That said, it doesn't handle as well as previous Hondas -- and, of course, nothing like the BMW. Basically, it is a competent commuter vehicle that gets great gas mileage. Maintenance wise, the Prius has been flawless -- only oil changes and scheduled maintenance. I'm not trying to promote the Prius to this group -- but know that you CAN drive fast and get good gas mileage at the same time (why I bought the 328i as well). I love technology!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #128
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_M_Sport_Eurovan View Post
dmost likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.
"reported... aggressive driving"

That's so broad; I disagree with the findings based on the date collection

If I am going 40mph on an off ramp passing a Prius driver going 20mph because my car has sticker tires and more power the Prius driver might think I'm being "aggressive" but in reality I am just going about my daily commute....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #129
Xpander
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N51,LCI,M-Sport,6MT

When I bought my Le Mans blue E90 I also got the 500-foot-any-road-in-front/back-is-mine package.

I also got a free upgrade that entitles me to two-parking-spaces at once and the right of way at any intersection with optional stoping at red lights.

Clearly the scientists didn't get the memo.
      08-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #130
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Feeling so much rage after reading that study ... Im going out for a drive.
lmfao...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #131
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
My wife corroborates this finding.

I hit 125mph with her in the car the other day, and she actually elevated me to a$$hole level.
this thread is fun!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #132
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_M_Sport_Eurovan View Post
I have the unusual distinction of driving BOTH a 2013 328i M Sport and a 2005 Prius (and a 2002 Eurovan). Z_K stated that fast-driving Prius owners don't get the benefit of good mileage. I'm here to tell you (and, yes, I drive aggressively) that I can drive the Prius very quickly and STILL save gas. Yes, it might go as low as 42 MPG, but in my book, that is still saving gas. So far, we have 118K on the Prius and have had ZERO problems with the battery. That said, it doesn't handle as well as previous Hondas -- and, of course, nothing like the BMW. Basically, it is a competent commuter vehicle that gets great gas mileage. Maintenance wise, the Prius has been flawless -- only oil changes and scheduled maintenance. I'm not trying to promote the Prius to this group -- but know that you CAN drive fast and get good gas mileage at the same time (why I bought the 328i as well). I love technology!
Appreciate 0