Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Warning: The N20 Recall will erase your custom coding

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. The recall some of you are receiving contains a new tune that will lean out the A/F ratio to lower emissions. (RECALL CAMPAIGN NO. 20E-A01) It will result in a complete reprogramming of the ECU. This will 100% overwrite your existing custom coding. Lights, Comfort features, etc will be gone. I am good friends with the Service Advisor at my local dealership and he indicates that they have no way to retain these settings. When you pick your car up, your coding will be as it was the day your car pulled off the assembly line.

If I had known this is advance, I'd have held off, as this is just a voluntary recall. There is no noticeable difference in power for those wondering. Haven't driven the car enough to notice if there are any fuel savings.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinX1 View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. The recall some of you are receiving contains a new tune that will lean out the A/F ratio to lower emissions. (RECALL CAMPAIGN NO. 20E-A01) It will result in a complete reprogramming of the ECU. This will 100% overwrite your existing custom coding. Lights, Comfort features, etc will be gone. I am good friends with the Service Advisor at my local dealership and he indicates that they have no way to retain these settings. When you pick your car up, your coding will be as it was the day your car pulled off the assembly line.

If I had known this is advance, I'd have held off, as this is just a voluntary recall. There is no noticeable difference in power for those wondering. Haven't driven the car enough to notice if there are any fuel savings.

One of my custom coding is on tire monitor system by disabled TPMS and enable FTM with the fuse removed. It will be interesting to see how this reprogramming ECU will handle it. I made an appointment to have this recall emission next week and wonder if I should go through now. If there is no fuel saving then no sense to correct this in my mind. Can you please report back if there is a benefit?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Thanks for the heads-up. How about those with ECU tunes?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #4
coptica
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012 28i (N20)

got the recall as well. not sure I am in a rush to do it
Appreciate 0