10-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Rear Driver Side Footwell Water Leak

Hi All,

I have a new to me 2012 BMW x1 xdrive28i. After several days of excessive Vancouver rain in the pacific northwest, i noticed a pool of water in the footwell of the Driver's side rear.

The driver's footwell up front is not wet or damp, just simply the rear. Anyone can chime in as to where to start looking or which seals i should replace? Some on forum says could be moon roof drain clogged? Anyone can give pointers on where it is and how to unclog it? Both the roof and door seals themselves looks and feel new and fine (but i guess with the age, anything goes), the windows and side of the door all seems dry, no water marks or wetness.

Appreciate any comments and help! many thanks!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
jarsdad1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 2015 X1 3.5

I believe the rear drains discharge behind the wheels. Check the vapor barrier in the door. Reseal that then let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Behind the wheels as in the rear left fender liners? Take the liner off and see if there is crap blocking?

Vapor barrier in the doors = gotta rip the door panels off i suppose (sorry, not a hands on interior person, only do basic maintenance and always too worried about doing anything more than just the oil changes, coolants, brake bleeding etc haha). Thanks and will perhaps bring to my mechanic and have them take a look!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
domerX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 E84 Sdrive

Sunroof drain issues

This looks like an old thread, but I thought I'd add some info in case anyone stumbles on to it. I have the front sunroof drains clogged. Apparently, this is a really common issue. The front drain apparently comes out behind the inner liner in the front wheel well. You have to pull the inner fender skirt and manually clean the clogged lines. Some people say they cleaned it with air. Others say don't try. I know that there are drain connections in the A-pillar because when I troubleshoot and fill the clogged front lines, water came out of the A-pillar. There are drains from the back of the sunroof as well. Those come out of the top between the top of the rear hatch seal and the body, next to the hinges. Those are easy to check by fishing a piece of string trimmer line through (you can't fish the front because BMW has a couple of 90-degree bends in the line (great design) in the front footwell. My issue is that I park my car front down and the rain fills up the front drains. Then the water spills out the side of the sunroof tray, goes down the c-pillar, and fills the pooka in the right rear that holds the control units for the PDC, Camera, and keyless start/entry. Although it sounds like you may have a different mode of entry or draining than me, if I were you I'd pull the right rear plastic holder in the trunk ad check that water isn't building up in that area, too.
Appreciate 0