XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
jaxdaily
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 04 E46 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: MN, USA

iTrader: (0)

Some general new buyer questions

Hi everyone, I have some pretty general questions that I'm really hoping you guys could help me with. I've been looking for a new car for about 3 months now and I'm pretty much dead set on an E84 X1. Coming from an E46 325xi I just want something with a little more space, but I still want that great BMW driving feel. I know these questions are general and somewhat trivial, but I would really appreciate some advice.

What are some things to consider when buying one? Are there things you wish you would've known when you bought your X1? I'd really like a 14-15 model, no real preference on 28i or 35i. I like the fuel economy of the 28i but the power of the 35i would definitely be welcome too.

How many miles is too many? I've read about some timing chain issues or some other things here and there and I'd like to know your thoughts on what to watch out for when it comes to wear and tear. Again, thanks a bunch and I appreciate your time.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
AK_Wes
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X28i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Anchorage, AK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxdaily View Post
Hi everyone, I have some pretty general questions that I'm really hoping you guys could help me with. I've been looking for a new car for about 3 months now and I'm pretty much dead set on an E84 X1. Coming from an E46 325xi I just want something with a little more space, but I still want that great BMW driving feel. I know these questions are general and somewhat trivial, but I would really appreciate some advice.

What are some things to consider when buying one? Are there things you wish you would've known when you bought your X1? I'd really like a 14-15 model, no real preference on 28i or 35i. I like the fuel economy of the 28i but the power of the 35i would definitely be welcome too.

How many miles is too many? I've read about some timing chain issues or some other things here and there and I'd like to know your thoughts on what to watch out for when it comes to wear and tear. Again, thanks a bunch and I appreciate your time.
I would try to get one with less than 50k miles, which hopefully is doable in your area. I wanted the 28i in AWD, as it's really my commuter car and better gas mileage was a plus for me. Definitely hold out for one with the Xenon headlights over the halogens..... They are a HUGE upgrade and it sounds like upgrading to xenon after the fact is pretty pricey. If you can get one that has the touch screen/backup camera stock, that's a plus, but not a deal breaker. There are some aftermarket screen options that integrate with the factory radio.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
BmoreBimmerX1
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 35i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Many don't appreciate the X1 because it can be a goofy looking vehicle from certain angles. The X1 is a parts bin car as it shares parts from various BMW models but mainly from the E8X and E9X. Because of that and its price point, in my opinion, it's not the best quality BMW in terms of fit/finish/reliability. Nevertheless, I've loved owning mine. I have a CPO 2013 35i (bought at 22k miles). While under warranty, the dealer has replaced my coolant tank, fan, oil housing gasket, and thermostat. Not covered by warranty I've replaced my charge pipe and some suspension bits that have given up over time b/c of the crappy roads in my area. So overall not too bad. I'm at about 66k miles.

Before buying an X1 I would definitely research all of the package options that were available to see what you want/need/etc. The "ultimate package" was the best value as it included pretty much everything for less than it would be to get each package individually. I wish I had the M sport package on my car as I don't love the comfort seats in my X1 and I prefer the aesthetics of the exterior. I also didn't love the wheel gap from the factory. It is visually awkward (again in my opinion) so I ended up lowering mine with H&R sport springs.

For being a smaller vehicle, the X1 is not a light weight car so I'm definitely an advocate for the 35i model because of power and sound improvements over the 28i.
__________________
xdrive35i: Dinan Stage 2 software, AA sport intercooler, XHP Stage 3, Bilstein B6 w/ H&R sport springs, M sport RSB, Whiteline bushing Inserts, Resonator & SC Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
jaxdaily
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 04 E46 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: MN, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBimmerX1 View Post
Before buying an X1 I would definitely research all of the package options that were available to see what you want/need/etc. The "ultimate package" was the best value as it included pretty much everything for less than it would be to get each package individually. I wish I had the M sport package on my car as I don't love the comfort seats in my X1 and I prefer the aesthetics of the exterior. I also didn't love the wheel gap from the factory. It is visually awkward (again in my opinion) so I ended up lowering mine with H&R sport springs.
Thanks a bunch for the info. What does the ultimate package entail? I've looked into the packages quite a bit, the cold weather package and technology packages are a must because I need the nav and backup camera. Do you think I'd regret getting a car this size if I want something bigger than my 3 series but still don't want a full size SUV? I liked the size of the Mazda CX-5 and the Lexus NX200t, but liked the performance of the X1.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
66
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: '13 xDrive28i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Evaluate the rear seat properly if you actually intend to haul humans back there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
What a jackass...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
jaxdaily
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 04 E46 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: MN, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
I would try to get one with less than 50k miles, which hopefully is doable in your area. I wanted the 28i in AWD, as it's really my commuter car and better gas mileage was a plus for me.
Thanks for the info. Why do you think 50k and below is important? I've found quite a few really good deals on fully loaded 14-15 X1's near me but they all hover around 70-90k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
Gamb1t
Captain
Gamb1t's Avatar
Canada
251
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: 330i, X1, RX-8
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canukistan

iTrader: (0)

The X1 is generally a reliable BMW. It's built off on the classic and reliant e90/e82 marriage. In terms of performance the 35i is more powerful. The 28i is more modern engineering. With the 28i you get the excellent faster shifting zf8hp while the 35i you have the older zf6hp.
I really don't like the 4-banger turbo sound. This is not just BMWs.... any modern 4-banger turbos sound like tractors.

Personally I'd look for models that have the BMW features like xenons, iDrive, parking sensors and maybe comfort access. Sportline and M Sport gives you nicer sporty seats and delicious grippy steering wheel.

The good thing with e84 X1s is that it is the final BMW model with a modern turbo engine and transmission (except zf6hp) that still exhibits great BMW driving characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
AK_Wes
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X28i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Anchorage, AK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxdaily View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
I would try to get one with less than 50k miles, which hopefully is doable in your area. I wanted the 28i in AWD, as it's really my commuter car and better gas mileage was a plus for me.
Thanks for the info. Why do you think 50k and below is important? I've found quite a few really good deals on fully loaded 14-15 X1's near me but they all hover around 70-90k miles.
Less miles typically means less maintenance costs in my opinion. Looking for lower mileage vehicles for the model year has always been a route I have gone when purchasing a used vehicle. If I found a "great deal" on a 2015 with 70k miles, I would have probably jumped on it though. It would however have to be a pretty good deal! Just my 2 cents!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
Zack1uk
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: BMW X1 2014 2.0D Sdrive Msport
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've only just picked mine up 2014 2.0D MSport SDrive (2WD) (38k miles), so I can't say too much yet. I do keep seeing lots of posts with people having transfer case problems, so watch out for that or maybe avoid one with a transfer case.

MSport also gives you much firmer suspension if thats your thing...I have it and wonder if I should have gone non-Msport.

Also, note that most don't come with bluetooth audio streaming, only telephone. If you want it you need enhanced bluetooth (this, I believe, needs a combox in the boot). You can use a dongle but that relies on the 3.5mm aux socket which seems to degrade the sound (no idea why...never done so in my other cars, but the difference between USB and 3.5mm aux in the X1 is clear), and you won't get steering wheel controls.

Also, if you have any thoughts about wanting to upgrade the hifi, get one with the "HiFi speaker" upgrade. This might be standard in the US, but here in the UK the standard "base" audio is pants. The "HiFi" speaker system codes the headunit to output low level to an amp in the back, and despite what many people will tell you provides pretty good speakers that, anecdotally, benefit from an amp swap only. To improve the base stereo, its a swap of almost everything. The HK system is good, but needs more extensive wiring to upgrade the amp.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
AK_Wes
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X28i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Anchorage, AK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack1uk View Post
I've only just picked mine up 2014 2.0D MSport SDrive (2WD) (38k miles), so I can't say too much yet. I do keep seeing lots of posts with people having transfer case problems, so watch out for that or maybe avoid one with a transfer case.

MSport also gives you much firmer suspension if thats your thing...I have it and wonder if I should have gone non-Msport.

Also, note that most don't come with bluetooth audio streaming, only telephone. If you want it you need enhanced bluetooth (this, I believe, needs a combox in the boot). You can use a dongle but that relies on the 3.5mm aux socket which seems to degrade the sound (no idea why...never done so in my other cars, but the difference between USB and 3.5mm aux in the X1 is clear), and you won't get steering wheel controls.

Also, if you have any thoughts about wanting to upgrade the hifi, get one with the "HiFi speaker" upgrade. This might be standard in the US, but here in the UK the standard "base" audio is pants. The "HiFi" speaker system codes the headunit to output low level to an amp in the back, and despite what many people will tell you provides pretty good speakers that, anecdotally, benefit from an amp swap only. To improve the base stereo, its a swap of almost everything. The HK system is good, but needs more extensive wiring to upgrade the amp.
Zack,

Are you running run-flats on your X1 along with the M-Sport suspension set up? Going to a traditional tire over the run flats makes a HUGE handling and ride comfort difference in my opinion.

AK_Wes
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
mileage, questions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST