XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #45
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Because flushing breaks loose metal particles that will not actually be removed from the transmission and are now floating throughout the transmission where they cause damage.

Additionally, flushing can cause seals to start leaking.
      12-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #46
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
Trying to post photos.
Oh- I need to find my way to that screen. I think that'll tell me a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #47
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Congrats. The e84 X1 is a good car based on the e91 chassis. I run dinan sport for two years on now. No poblem. I can control boost settings via dinan phone app. My wife is the main driver. She seems to like it. The trunk is a bit small. My 330i is more spacious and has higher interior quality.
The X1 with winter tires is very formidable in snow conditions. No problem even on deep snow.

Change all the drivetrain fluid.
Also don't use ASS and keep up with oil changes.
Just got the nonRF snows on today, automatically feeling more confident on snow covered dirt roads. Man, I think I fucking love this car.

Tried using the ASS for 5 minutes while in stop and go traffic. That'll never be used again. Ever. Frankly I can't even see it's theoretical useful application.

Oil changes I am pretty solid about keeping up with (synth every 4-5k). Any advice on other fluid changes? Drivetrain, transmission, seems like we got thoughts on both in this thread. Frequency? Just got this car from a good BMW dealer. 34k miles. 3rd owner: 1st was a lease from the same dealer, 2nd was a CPO from the same dealer. My guess is they didn't do any new fluids for me. So how soon do I need to be thinking about changing other fluids?

Speaking of oil, I have heard things from other BMW owners about problems with burning of oil. They made it seem like a bit of a trait. Anyone experience any oil burning? Either as a one off or more endemic. I bring this up now because I parked my car to get the tires done today and sniffed a hint of burning oil. My guess was it was a car next to me. But I was aware.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #48
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
Oh- I need to find my way to that screen. I think that'll tell me a lot.
It's in an earlier post:

Menu - Vehicle Info - Trip Computer - Reset
      12-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #49
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
It's in an earlier post:

Menu - Vehicle Info - Trip Computer - Reset
Is that the reset screen where I can reset the display stat which seems to generate a MPG avg from the entirety of the cars miles? I looked at that and saw a specific trip odometer stat screen where you can pull stats just from a given commute. Kind of different things; what I originally asked about (resetting the lifetime average) and being able to pull stats from just one drive. But totally makes sense that you can toggle between the two on the computer screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #50
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

NICE!!!! my M sport is Le mans Blue ( and for sale with warranty)
my wife had two 5 series wagons, BOTH with 6 Manual transmissions. 98 528it in Barritz Blue and 2008 535it in Deep sea. the blue looks good with tan interior . my M sport X1 is sand beige
      12-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #51
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

I never use ASS or Ecomode. Had a smooth run today - 34.5 mpg door-to-door.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #52
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Reset the stat machine for the trip computer. On my 20 mile each way twisty 2 lane road commute today:

Direction 1: mostly downhill, 50mph avg, 50% driving hard 50% stuck behind slow drivers, 34mpg.

Direction 2: mostly uphill, 47mph avg, 15% driving hard 85% stuck behind slow drivers, 25mpg.

Overall, very encouraging and instills confidence that I can farm 27-28mpg out of this car for the vast majority of my driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #53
djeieidhds
run it
Oman
Rep
Drives: dhudeuehhrhdhehee

you can average 24 mpg highway if you SQUEEZE the psi on your tires to 45 PSI
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #54
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajan231 View Post
you can average 24 mpg highway if you SQUEEZE the psi on your tires to 45 PSI
Did you mean “34” mpg?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #55
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
Did you mean “34” mpg?
I hope he did cause a 24mpg average should be easy without having to push tire pressure to the limits.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #56
AlanX1228i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Welcome to the X1 Club!!!

I have the same set up as you and I bought it almost exactly a year ago. It's been a great car so far!

I have a bit of an elevation gain/loss during my commute of about 1,600', but I average 23 mpg. I hardly ever use eco mode or sport mode.... When doing a long highway/freeway road trip I have turned on eco mode and got right around 30 mpg average for a trip. You will never see 30 mpg with mixed city/highway driving though.

There are a couple BMW extended warranties you should be aware of that cover items outside of the normal warranty period.

1. Thermostat replacement - Extended to 10 years/120k miles I believe, as they have known issues with the thermostats failing open... Happened to me last month at 40k miles and the replacement including labor was fully covered by BMW.

2. Timing chain - There is an extended warranty for this item as well, but I don't believe it is as long. Possibly 6 years / 60k miles. There have been a few engine failures due to timing chain/timing chain guides failing. I honestly need to research this one a bit..... Would like to see if there is a possibility of getting it proactively replaced by the stealership, as it sounds like once it fails complete engine failure is common.

There are some good aftermarket screen/stereo add-ons that update the interior a bit. Basically the only modification I have made or currently plan to make to mine have been to the stereo. The factory BMW bluetooth is garbage....

Good Luck!
I too am a relatively new owner of a 2015 X1 28i. (Feb 18) and thrilled to be a part of this community.
I wish I would have known about the thermostat recall extension!!!...Thanks for posting though...That certainly may help my slight situation I have...

Recently had a “chk engine” light & low coolant light happen around same time. Took to Advanced Auto for code reading, (P0597). Saw cost of dealer fix online so decided to replace the thermostat, cleared code-all good there!...but still have a phantom coolant leak.

Not a fast one, but I took a 180mile trip recently with ac on and low and behold, low coolant warning again. I assume the ac is getting the engine hotter.

Recently changed oil, no signs of coolant there. I like to do all my own work (as long as it’s semi light work) otherwise I go to Indy.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by AlanX1228i; 01-05-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #57
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanX1228i View Post
I too am a relatively new owner of a 2015 X1 28i. (Feb 18) and thrilled to be a part of this community.
I wish I would have known about the thermostat recall extension!!!...Thanks for posting though...That certainly may help my slight situation I have...

Recently had a “chk engine” light & low coolant light happen around same time. Took to Advanced Auto for code reading, (P0597). Saw cost of dealer fix online so decided to replace the thermostat, cleared code-all good there!...but still have a phantom coolant leak.

Not a fast one, but I took a 180mile trip recently with ac on and low and behold, low coolant warning again. I assume the ac is getting the engine hotter.

Recently changed oil, no signs of coolant there. I like to do all my own work (as long as it’s semi light work) otherwise I go to Indy.

Any suggestions?

That is the code you will get for a faulty thermostat, so most likely you can get it replaced under warranty. I didn't have any issues with loss of coolant, so you may have a separate issue going on there..... You can call the BMW Corporate number to confirm you are covered under the thermostat warranty before bringing it into the dealer, which is what I did, then you can provide that information to the service rep. I would mention you are losing coolant as well, hopefully then it is covered under the one diagnostic fee for the thermostat (BMW Paid).

I normally avoid the dealership like the plague, but if they cover the repairs on their faulty parts I will go back in.

Let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0