Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
janthenat
Registered
Rep
Drives: '11 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

Longevity, Reliability, etc

Since I’m here to research prior to buying a used X1, likely in the Spring, I’m wondering about the long term reliability and tco. In the past 27 years I’ve bought 3 new cars and 4 used cars. I still own #2 & #3 new cars, I totaled #1 new car a month before paying it off (boo...). New car #2 is a 2004 VW Golf which now has 150k+ miles, is in very good condition, and will probably soon be transferred to my older son. New car #3 is a 2011 Mits Outlander Sport with 131k miles, in great shape and still feels like “the new car”, and will be going with my younger son back to college next fall (hence needing another car).

The new cars we’ve bought have been relatively problem free for their entire warranty periods and beyond, VW 3yrs/50k miles I think and Mits 5 b-b/10 powertrain 100k. I also owned a 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport which I bought with 160k miles for DD work commute (50 miles a day) that required only minimal maintenance until the engine blew at 295k miles after my 10 years of ownership. Also, all these cars have been parked outdoors year-round in northern Illinois.

Ok, I do have a question here... As a brand and more specifically as a model, X1 in particular, what is the long term expectation of reliability? I’m not very familiar with BMW’s reputation in this regard. Are there 300k mile BMW’s out there? Do BMW owners tend to keep them for the entire life cycle? I do get the feeling that so called “luxury” brand owners don’t necessarily keep a vehicle for the long term which ought to result in a decent pool of high quality used vehicles, at least this is what I’m counting on ;^) Do these questions/statements make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Yeah, BMW owners probably trade more than most other makes.

They might get jittery since BMW's trade some reliability for performance, and maintenance can be expensive.

You are used to Japanese and most reliable cars in the world.

Read the net and find which BMW model you like and repair problems, etc.

Even my 14 X1 s28i rear drive configuration was'nt produced long.

Now the X1 is AWD or front wheel drive.

I think they might have fixed the bad timing chain, and maybe the bad bearings in the AWD, so read up.

My x1 s28i is a dream and no problems , but only 26k miles.

I put less grabby ceramic pads on for less than $100 to stop a big brake bill later.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Generally speaking there is a good pool of 2-3 year old BMW's given that leasing is quite prevalent on "luxury" brands. I went this route, buying a CPO X1.

I'm on my first BMW, so I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable. That said, you don't see a lot of people talking about having a lot of miles on their cars. Personally I don't plan on keeping mine much beyond 100K miles (currently at 43K). That gives me quite a while though as I only put about 8K/year on mine.

As for problems, the only big issue I've had was a dead iDrive (under warranty).
      10-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

I've known many people that have own many BMWs. The general consensus is at 80,000 miles things start to break down. I had an X1 and at 80,000 miles I took it in to get serviced to have it checked out and the mechanic told me I needed about $2,200 worth of repairs. As stated here before BMWs are not built to be the most reliable cars in the world. They are built to be the most fun cars in the world. That being said, BMWs will go a long ways but you will pay 4 repairs as they get long in the tooth. I'm on my second X1 now because I think it's the greatest car ever made. I absolutely love these cars and will probably buy another one. Look for the how many miles on your X1 thread look for the how many miles on your ex one thread and you will get a sense of what people are experiencing as their cars age. One guy has 130000 mi in has had zero problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
MNX135I
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

I know several BMW owners that have shared with me that their cars have been quite reliable. Yes expensive to maintain perhaps but how much more? Brakes and rotors on my Mazda CX 9 cost about 750$ at the dealer. Full synthetic oil change, coolant flush, steering fluid flush, rear differential flush, multi point inspection is $400. All Probably a bit cheaper at an independent shop but my dealer is convenient .
All modern cars are expensive to maintain. I think it's likely the little stuff that can add up on BMWs, just like any car.
I hope my X1 last to 150k with no major issues. I'm a preventative Maintenance hound and always stay on top of it. My Mazda has 130k with no major issues ever. Just brakes plugs batteries and tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Supercar Sean
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30, 2015 E84

Its simple, take care of the cars, do the required maintenance on time, change your oil frequently, flush your fluids, and you will be fine. Large maintenance all at once costs are usually the result of delayed regular maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
In my opinion, the longevity of BMW or *ANY CAR* largely depends on how well it is maintained. I suspect my X1 35i will last for quite a long time with regular maintenance because I got it at low (30k) mileage 1.5 years ago and will do all the preventative maintenance.

On the other hand, my 328i was purchased at 116k miles 4 months ago, and you can tell maintenance was not done. It's cost more in maintenance than my 35i. I've done the following:
Changed rear Diff fluid
Oil Change
Replaced all lights with LEDs (combination of either burnt out and wanted to have matching lights, HALOs included)
Just cleaned both VANOS solenoids

And this weekend I'm doing ($425 in parts):
Transmission fluid/filter (slight shuddering in OD at 40mph while accelerating, known problem if you don't do maintenance)
Spark plugs / wires

And I need to / should do:
Hydraulic pump and/or fluid
Water pump / tstat / fluid
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

I've had my '13 since 2014 and it was a CPO purchase. I treat the car unlike any car I've owned before; i.e. with no respect. I only DD it to work, and use it for light deliveries. It's never been washed in the time I've owned it, except for when at the dealer for scheduled service. Quite a few plastic parts have fallen off, or been easily bumped off by incidental contact, but mechanically it's been reliable. Only about 55k on it now.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:28 AM   #9
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
I've had my '13 since 2014 and it was a CPO purchase. I treat the car unlike any car I've owned before; i.e. with no respect. I only DD it to work, and use it for light deliveries. It's never been washed in the time I've owned it, except for when at the dealer for scheduled service. Quite a few plastic parts have fallen off, or been easily bumped off by incidental contact, but mechanically it's been reliable. Only about 55k on it now.
This makes me sad.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
This makes me sad.
It'll buff out.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
MNX135I
Rep

Update- my x1 35i just developed an oil leak. 67,000 miles. Guessing it's the oil filter housing gasket. Bummer
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #12
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Modern cars are more complex that cars just 10 years ago. The amount of electronics in today's cars increases the chance of something might break. Materials will deteriorate especially if it is not cared for.
High end cars require that much more attention and maintenance. European cars are designed first and foremost with performance therefore simplicity are traded in for insane designs to achieve that goal. That said, good maintenance goes a long way in vehicular reliability.

I always advice anyone who wants to buy an Euro car either be somewhat handy or knows a good trusty worthy indie.

If you want a 4-wheel conveyance to go to and from work/school and will be left out under the weather there are better cheaper beater options than a BMW. I would suggest a Mazda3. It's a fun little car with better than average interior trim. And you get the Japanese reliability.
Appreciate 1
DOrtiz13.00
      10-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
MNX135I
Rep

Oil filter housing gasket repair cost

Here is what my local shop quoted for my 2014 X1 35i (68,000 miles)

Oil filter housing gasket
New drive belt
New tension pulley
New radiator hose
Accessory belt
Plugs
Radiator flush
Oil change

2000$

Does this sound right?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #14
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNX135I View Post
Here is what my local shop quoted for my 2014 X1 35i (68,000 miles)

Oil filter housing gasket
New drive belt
New tension pulley
New radiator hose
Accessory belt
Plugs
Radiator flush
Oil change

2000$

Does this sound right?
Is the oil filter housing gasket leaking or seeping through. If it's not leaking no need to replace and the belt kit doesn't need replacing either.

There's only one belt so that's fishy.

The hose shouldn't need replacing if it's not broken.

Coolant you can drain and fill with minimal effort.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
Is the oil filter housing gasket leaking or seeping through. If it's not leaking no need to replace and the belt kit doesn't need replacing either.

There's only one belt so that's fishy.

The hose shouldn't need replacing if it's not broken.

Coolant you can drain and fill with minimal effort.
In other words; you're getting hosed.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

It seems EVERYTHING you go to dealer is gonna be $2000.

They'll give brake job for that, but not to me.

I bought tools and pads for 2 cars with change for less than $200.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #17
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNX135I View Post
Update- my x1 35i just developed an oil leak. 67,000 miles. Guessing it's the oil filter housing gasket. Bummer
How did you detect the leak? Oil on the driveway? I’d like to know what to watch for. I’m at 43,500. Would be helpful to see a picture, I’ll look around, doesn’t have to be yours. I’ve had the X1 a few months, Love saving money and working on cars, but I don’t know how to get the engine cover off yet lol. Drives me nuts I can’t see the oil filter.

-Steve

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #18
KWX1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive35i

[QUOTE=Chicone;23893318]How did you detect the leak? Oil on the driveway? I’d like to know what to watch for. I’m at 43,500. Would be helpful to see a picture, I’ll look around, doesn’t have to be yours. I’ve had the X1 a few months, Love saving money and working on cars, but I don’t know how to get the engine cover off yet lol. Drives me nuts I can’t see the oil filter.

-Steve

The oil filter housing is on the right front corner of the engine, on top (cartridge type filter). Get a flashlight and look for oil under the housing and around the belt idler pulley. The oil will run around the head/block seam and deposit on the opposite side of the engine. The belly cover may show oil dripping around the area of the DP. Just changed mine at 32k miles but I live in a hot climate. Charge pipe, intake/air filter housing, all engine covers, cowling, strut brace, oil cooler lines, and one coolant hose need to be removed. The intake manifold needs to come off or just moved to the side to get to one of the bolts. I changed coolant and oil after repair. Also, check the belt for oil and worn spots from it slipping due to oil. Good luck .

Last edited by KWX1; 10-24-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
Chicone28.00
      10-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
Kevman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 x30i

132k miles, just oil changes every 10k, brakes pads front and back at 100k, and 2 sets of tires. Runs like new, mostly highway miles helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #20
MNX135I
Rep

[QUOTE=KWX1;23894032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
How did you detect the leak? Oil on the driveway? I'd like to know what to watch for. I'm at 43,500. Would be helpful to see a picture, I'll look around, doesn't have to be yours. I've had the X1 a few months, Love saving money and working on cars, but I don't know how to get the engine cover off yet lol. Drives me nuts I can't see the oil filter.

-Steve

The oil filter housing is on the right front corner of the engine, on top (cartridge type filter). Get a flashlight and look for oil under the housing and around the belt idler pulley. The oil will run around the head/block seam and deposit on the opposite side of the engine. The belly cover may show oil dripping around the area of the DP. Just changed mine at 32k miles but I live in a hot climate. Charge pipe, intake/air filter housing, all engine covers, cowling, strut brace, oil cooler lines, and one coolant hose need to be removed. The intake manifold needs to come off or just moved to the side to get to one of the bolts. I changed coolant and oil after repair. Also, check the belt for oil and worn spots from it slipping due to oil. Good luck .
I spotted mine by discovering an oil splatter on the inside of the engine hood. Belt slung oil after leaking from oil filter housing gasket. I replaced belt , tension pulley, as well as housing gasket. Happened suddenly with no warning but I didn't loose much oil.

Wasn't cheap to fix at my local independent BMW shop but glad it's done. Sounds like they all fail. Mine did at 67k miles

When I purchased my vehicle at 58k miles it was spotless. No leaks and a perfect previous history. If you own an X1 with over 50k miles I would be proactive and get the gasket replaced. I don't know anyone that has an X1 that hasn't had this happen prior to 100k miles. And I know 5 other owners
Appreciate 1
Chicone28.00
      11-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #21
sporadic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Just over 100k miles on my wife's X1. The composite valve covers on these cars are crap. Had to replace the entire valve cover due to a leak that formed around the vacuum pump seal at the rear, and had to replace the front oil filer housing and cooler gaskets. Same shop had another N20 in just a week ago they replaced just the valve cover gasket on. A week later the guy is back in getting his valve cover replaced as well as it was weeping oil. Thoroughly check for any valve cover or oil filter housing leaks - signs of oil being slung around on the front of the engine, and stains on the exhaust manifold shield due to oil dripping on it. Cooks nicely and pours into the cabin when it happens....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #22
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

I am DIY and i have found BMW design a bit harder to work with.

there is no dip stick for tranny and engine
transmission service requires special software in the computer in order to service it
getting to the spark plug is a pain the ass.
the battery replacement requires software

there is many more think to list. so as long as you are up for the task or willing to pay for these service i think they can be ok reliable. but the the Japanese makes seem to still be more reliable and easier to service.
Appreciate 0