XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

07-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Android Auto Install

Installed a 10.25" Android Auto 7.1 system in place of the stock 8.8" CIC system. Retains all factory functionality (backup camera, GPS, etc.). I was going to do a long-winded write up on the install process, but figured I'll just share the pics and any questions, feel free to ask.

Install was pretty straightforward, no splicing of wires- everything is plug and play. Plugs into the factory harness and I picked up a splitter to use the stock GPS antenna.

I've added a CarPlay adapter, and installed a 2-port USB plug where the factory phone cradle was.

Still working out some of the bugs, but overall pretty happy with the system. There's a big thread on the F30 forum that I've been following that's been a great help: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1500481

I purchased my system from Ugode, with shipping it was $445 in total. CarPlay adapter was $70 from Amazon (there are cheaper ones on AliExpress but I wanted it sooner). The GPS splitter was $7 from AliExpress, and the USB plug was ~$10 on Ebay.

Here's what you receive- the screen, dash kit to fit the factory opening, GPS antenna (which I didn't use as I split the signal from my factory one), and all of the necessary cables to hook everything up

Dash trim removal- top climate control and lower AS/S, traction control, exo pro, etc. trim pieces pop right off with a trim removal tool

Radio trim removal was a bit trickier, as the guides that the AS/S trim panel sit on make it difficult to get these bottom clips out- best way is to remove or loosen up the center console, but I wasn't in the mood to do that so I beat the crap out of this trim piece until it finally came out (which I don't recommend doing)

All trim removed- next up was radio removal, which is held in by four screws. Again, much easier to get out with center console out of the way so those guides on either side aren't blocking the radio's bottom flanges

Next up is removing the front AC vents and surrounding trim- pretty easy to do with a trim removal tool, just pops right out. Unplug the harness for the hazards and lock switch and it's out of your way. This needs to be done to get to the two screws holding the factory screen in place.

I'm skipping ahead to the finished install as I didn't really document beyond pulling the panels and trims- but the install is pretty straightforward- again, no splicing of cables or anything. Just harnesses and plugs.

Here's the screen installed.

The Android system lets you select from several display configurations, I personally like NBT EVO ID5.

Some pics showing the CarPlay capabilities.

Here's a shot of the Android apps section w/ Play Store.

I used the old location of the phone cradle to house my USB ports. I initially wanted to install this in place of the stock cigarette lighter, but after realizing I'd have to pull apart the center console to do so, decided to find another place to house this. Also had a few vinyl decals printed up to indicate which port was for CarPlay (or Android Auto for those with Android phones) and which was for standard USB (thumb drive, external HDD, etc.).

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the system. It has a few bugs I'm still working out, but it provides with some pretty cool functionality that the factory system doesn't. The CarPlay integration is pretty good, I use Spotify via my iPhone for the vast majority of the time, and I'm pleased with how it works here. iDrive controls work with everything on the Android side except for clicking select on CarPlay, but I believe that's more of an app limitation than system. Holding the 'menu' button on the iDrive controller for three seconds allows you to switch back and forth between factory BMW system and Android Auto. Stock backup camera works fine and switches back to previous screen once you move forward.

Any questions, feel free to ask!
Appreciate 2
AK_Wes3.00
Upgrade+129.50
      07-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
KWX1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive35i

Nice, my stock screen blacks out under high heat(screen defect) and this would be a nice upgrade. What was the part or kit # for the E84. Thanks in advance.
      07-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
dingo ate my baby
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 20D Xdrive

This is really cool, I think I need something like this. Good info, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWX1 View Post
Nice, my stock screen blacks out under high heat(screen defect) and this would be a nice upgrade. What was the part or kit # for the E84. Thanks in advance.
There isn't really a part number- the supplier is Ugode, here's their website: http://www.ugode.com/

I'd suggest emailing them directly, after some discussion with them they set up a sale on Alibaba for me to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

this is very nice!!! was this plug and play? any cut and tapping to the stock wires?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Danny174
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 S Drive 18d

I have this and I can confirm this is plug and play and comes with its own harness.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

As Danny said- completely plug and play. No splicing of any factory wires required.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
mreric
Private
Rep

wow this is great!!!!

did it come with detail well written instruction for the install?

what kind of bug have you encounter? everything works well?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreric View Post
wow this is great!!!!

No instructions, but it's pretty straightforward if you're comfortable pulling some dash pieces out and such.

The major bug is the "no signal" issue- there seems to be a conflict with the Android unit's boot sequence and the power supplied through the factory harness. This happens when I open the vehicle and don't start it right away- i.e. if I unlock the vehicle, start loading it with stuff, and get in a few minutes later, the Android side will show 'no signal' on the screen, and only the stock CIC side will function. The supplier has provided updates which seem to have helped and they're continuously pushing out updates, so hopefully it gets addressed 100%. I haven't had the issue in a while now, and as long as I'm conscious to start my car when I open it and then do what I have to do, it's not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Danny174
Rep

Quote:
wow this is great!!!!

Hello this the video I used for install,
Appreciate 1
AK_Wes3.00
      08-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Danny174
Rep

Quote:
wow this is great!!!!

Hello this the video I used for install,
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
mreric
Private
Rep

this is really cool system. this might entice me to keep my X1 for a bit longer as it modernize the system

have all the bugs been worked out?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
this is really cool system. this might entice me to keep my X1 for a bit longer as it modernize the system

have all the bugs been worked out?

It's been running pretty smooth for me the last several weeks. I use CarPlay 99.9% of the time, which runs pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #14
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you wouldnt mind, what was the total cost, and which version did you get? I have emailed the company but they have not responded. I'll be in Shenzhen in october so I may just pick it up.

my 13 needs this, it feels so old school these days.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
If you wouldnt mind, what was the total cost, and which version did you get? I have emailed the company but they have not responded. I'll be in Shenzhen in october so I may just pick it up.

my 13 needs this, it feels so old school these days.
Ugode: http://www.ugode.com/

They've been pretty responsive for me and the folks on the F30 forums.

I paid $390+$55 for shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #16
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Also, the 'no signal' issue seems to be resolved- sounds like there's a voltage discrepancy between the factory GPS signal and the Android signal. This, combined with using a GPS splitter, seems to have caused the issue.

I unplugged the splitter from the Android unit, as I really don't use the GPS on the Android unit- I use Apple Maps through CarPlay for my GPS.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #17
StevenRed
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 XDrive20d

Hi guys,

my name is Stefano and I'm new in this forum.
I'm buying a similar display here in Italy and I'm asking to you if is available a software update because I saw some language mistake with italian language on a similar display mounted on my friend car and we will try to fix them or find someone who ca n fix for me.
Could you help me?
Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
projectbarnie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 X35i

Very interested in this, Can you post a link to the Car Play adapter you bought? And when you get calls while connected via BT, does it go through the BMW BT or the Head Units BT? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #19
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

I bought everything for my system from here: https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-x1-ser...on-system.html

Mine took a bit longer to install, because I had to install a backup camera and idrive controller as my X1 didn't come with those options. I definitely suggest getting the hardwired backup camera rather than the wireless if you are looking at this system.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #20
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

I’m very interested - but all the installs I’ve seen show a X1 with the storage compartment. Does anybody know how this works if you already have the integrated screen?

-Steve

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #21
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Steve,

Yes this install works if you already have the integrated screen. This new install comes with the trim and the screen is much larger, so it sticks out from the dash.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:32 AM   #22
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

Thanks Wes,

How did you setup the USB port? Are the wires just sort of sticking out to the side? I’m assuming the backup cam only works when the unit is on, not when you are in the factory system? As far as Bluetooth, do you only link to the car or to both systems? What other problems are you having? So many questions, lol.

Thanks !

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0