Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wheel Help Please

So the time has come to get my 2014 x1 35i some summer rims and tires, but I'm horrible at picking sizes so hoping for some help. I want to run either the VMR710 or the VMR703.

https://www.vmrwheels.com/product-page/v710

https://www.vmrwheels.com/product-page/v703

My goal is to stick to Pilot super sports or whatever they re-branded that line. I want to go as wide of a tire as I can without looking stupid, and I definitely do not want any rubbing. Currently I am at stock height but I plan to lower the car on something eventually. Not someone to slam a car I'd just go with something like the K2 V1 or whatever people say is a good right and mild drop. I'd rather be conservative on sizing and not hit any issues in the future than try to squeeze every inch of wheel/tire in there too. Rubbing would drive me crazy.

I appreciate the help, also looking for suggestions on which wheel you'd go with on a x1 35i in silver.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #2
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Probably going with 19x8.5 35et vmr 710s
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Staying squared or going staggered an option? Also what tire size are you going? I think wheel offset and tire diameter/width will be the biggest factor whether you will run into any rubbing.

There seems to be a lot of good info on the wheel thread on this forum. It looks like some people are able to run 295 in the rear without rubbing if you want max width. I have the oem 19in 255s in the rear and appearance wise it could use some more width, but 255 looks decent. I'd probably go wider if I went aftermarket to get a more aggressive look, but it's subjective coming from 255 stock.

I like to look at willtheyfit.com to play compare poke and tiresize.com/calculator/ to compare tire sizes (if staggered for AWD, I think we're supposed to stay within 1 or 2% diameter difference if staggered). If you get the right offset to give you good tire poke and fender flushness, then you don't have to bother with wheel spacers.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
Staying squared or going staggered an option? Also what tire size are you going? I think wheel offset and tire diameter/width will be the biggest factor whether you will run into any rubbing.

There seems to be a lot of good info on the wheel thread on this forum. It looks like some people are able to run 295 in the rear without rubbing if you want max width. I have the oem 19in 255s in the rear and appearance wise it could use some more width, but 255 looks decent. I'd probably go wider if I went aftermarket to get a more aggressive look, but it's subjective coming from 255 stock.

I like to look at willtheyfit.com to play compare poke and tiresize.com/calculator/ to compare tire sizes (if staggered for AWD, I think we're supposed to stay within 1 or 2% diameter difference if staggered). If you get the right offset to give you good tire poke and fender flushness, then you don't have to bother with wheel spacers.
Thanks, I want to stay squared.

I reached out to VMR and they suggested 19x8.5 et35.

My goal is to go wide without any headaches or rubbing. I will either do a strut / shock combo or kw v1s on the car. I'm not trying to slam it just bring the handling up as much as possible

I am thinking vmr 710 or vmr 703 for rim. Cant really pick. I can't even pick a color.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #5
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Thanks, I want to stay squared.

I reached out to VMR and they suggested 19x8.5 et35.

My goal is to go wide without any headaches or rubbing. I will either do a strut / shock combo or kw v1s on the car. I'm not trying to slam it just bring the handling up as much as possible

I am thinking vmr 710 or vmr 703 for rim. Cant really pick. I can't even pick a color.
I feel you haha. I switch between staggered and squared, bronze or silver...

What tire size are you thinking of going squared?

I think if you go squared, 8.5 et35 will basically poke the same as stock with the fender. (assuming you have 8 et 30). 8.5 ET 25 will look more flush.

If I were you, I'd go 18/19x9 ET 30. Check out the wheel thread, there's a guy running 9 ET 29 255/35/19 in the front and rear and the fitment looks pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #6
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

I would stick to 235 or 245 section width on 8.5" wide wheels.

OEM rolling diameter for 18 X1 wheel/tire is 26", I believe, so you'll want to stick to around that same value. A little bigger might help to actually correct the speedo as it tends to read a little faster than actual rate of travel.

I'm thinking of 18x9, et30 or et35 square, myself. I'll go with 255/40/18 if I do - that size is right at 26" rolling diameter.

Last edited by hooligan_G01; 01-26-2021 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
darkrom188.00