XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

08-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
Intercooler Choices 2014 E84 N55 X1

Now in the process of trying to understand which intercooler will best fit my upgrade applications for the moment for the best price point, ease of installation warranty? and best heat reductions

110+ degree ambient temps r pushing n55 motor into dangerous high heat operations here in Texas .230 240

all cooling parts r new and fresh.

which intercooler upgrade is the best for a beginning car with initial to no mods / i need to cool the engine down a little if possible.

trimming the plastic front for a larger intercooler is no big deal as it is apart waitng on ac clutch bearing kit now.

so installing a bigger fmic on can be done now.easily

r any of the econo coolers worth there salt for my purposes on e bay?and will they interchange? from different models/ Ie 335I z4 etc seems they all come from china? and will outlets angles match up to oem piping?

will coupling elbows or adapters and clamps be needed to complete connections? and will stock tubing be sufficient?

vrsf 5" or 7" spendy but back ordered again , have their charge pipe installed allready .

ebay coolers abound. also 300 bucks or less

just want to get the complete solution and get it all installed at once.

vrsf intake inlet tube looks interesting is it the best fit for e84 x1 n55 35I? and is it needed right away or not

IMO, here's my list (the list is actually kits, so no DIY/Big Tom here):
Helix
Pros - The original "stepped" design intercooler; Kit Includes Stepped IC, Piping, Silicone Tubing & Clamps; Fits perfectly into the OEM fitment & is used by some of the most respectable tuners (Shiv/BMS); IC comes in 5" density
Cons - One Kit Option; Very minor trimming
Evolution Racewerks
Pros - IC Kit with the most options; Available in 3 stages: Basic Kit (IC, Upper IC Piping, Silicone Hoses + Clamps), Standard Kit (Basic + DV/BOV Charge Pipe) & Full Kit (Standard + Carbon Fiber Shroud); IC is 5.5" density
Cons - Price
ETS
Pros - Price is on par with Helix; Kit includes IC, Charge Pipe, Couplers, Clamps & Hoses; Inlet/Outlet tubes are staggered to improve cooling; IC is available in 5" & 7"
Cons - Trimming Required w/ 7" Kit; Kit Charge Pipe isn't meth compatible (order over the phone & sort it out w/ ETS)
Active Autowerke
Pros - Two Kits: Sport (6" wide IC) and Race (? Not on Website). Includes IC, Metal Piping, Silicone Hoses + Clamps; AA's proven reputation; Sport Kit is very affordable
Cons - No Specs on Website about Race Kit; Cost of Race Kit
Wanger
Pros - Stepped design similar to Helix; Essentially a Direct swap for the OEM IC
Cons - Not really a "kit"; Uses the OEM fittings/couplings

wagner is expensive
ebay maybe ?
vrsf IN STOCK ? MAYBE

any advise is appreciated

proteus
austin tx

down pipe eventually but not yet exhaust upgrades later

Last edited by proteus290; 08-02-2020 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
pickdyl77
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive35i X1 FBO

I have the VRSF 7.5 stepped one in my E84 X1 Msport. I had a shop install it cause I didn't wanna mess up the trimming but I have a friend who installed the same one on his 135i and he said it was a pain. Took him around 4 hours. I love this intercooler it cooled my IAT's way down and makes me feel a lot better about being hard on the car. You would probably be fine with the 5 inch one if u don't plan on upgrading ur turbos though.
Appreciate 1
darkrom186.50