XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Duchess22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: %C2%91%E2%80%9911 e92 335i spo

E84 exhaust vacuum mod?

I disconnected the vacuum module on my 335i. Sounds better, safer than golf tee mod, and straight forward.

Are there similar changes to the X1 35i?

I believe I found the module that could be unplugged, but not sure.

Insight/experience?
      10-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

On the M sport, yes it's underneath the liner on the driver side right behind the wheel well. I'm not sure for non-msport models if it's the same.

I just followed this tutorial for referencing all the torx screws and plastic retainer clips that need to be removed on the driver side.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
Duchess22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wow that is an Involved process for the exhaust flap module. By lifting out the interior cup you can see where the module where is bifurcates. Just wondering if unplugging it will leave it open like the e9x serie.
      10-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess22 View Post
Wow that is an Involved process for the exhaust flap module. By lifting out the interior cup you can see where the module where is bifurcates. Just wondering if unplugging it will leave it open like the e9x serie.
Yes, unplugging it will leave the exhaust flap/valve open. I couldn't manage to remove the plug through the interior cup. There is a thin metal clip that goes around the connector and I wasn't able to disconnect it without removing the driver side trim of the interior. It's pretty easy (~10-20 mins). The only issue I ran into, was the rounded Torx bolts.

If you remove the thin metal clip that secures the connector, you're able to access the connector through the interior cup to connect/disconnect more easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Duchess22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
Quote:
Yes, unplugging it will leave the exhaust flap/valve open. I couldn't manage to remove the plug through the interior cup. There is a thin metal clip that goes around the connector and I wasn't able to disconnect it without removing the driver side trim of the interior. It's pretty easy (~10-20 mins). The only issue I ran into, was the rounded Torx bolts.

If you remove the thin metal clip that secures the connector, you're able to access the connector through the interior cup to connect/disconnect more easily.
Quote:
Quote:

Ah. That would change the approach. A quick look revealed my plug to be secured by a rubber brace. I can tug at it and possibly slide it out to gain access. But didn't do it yet as I didn't want to Muck it up without understanding this particular style of plug.
      10-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Ah. That would change the approach. A quick look revealed my plug to be secured by a rubber brace. I can tug at it and possibly slide it out to gain access. But didn't do it yet as I didn't want to Muck it up without understanding this particular style of plug.
The rubber brace should slide up and off the metal post that holds the unit in place. Maybe that will help you access it through the interior cup w/o having to remove all the trim.

If it makes you feel better, you don't have to remove the driver side rear trim completely to access the exhaust connector. Just need to loosen to be able to reach behind the trim and access the connector freely. I don't see it taking any longer than 30 mins your first time through.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #7
Duchess22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I finally got around to unplugging the system through the little porthole. No major disassembly required.
      04-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

If you have MHD with burble settings on, the flap does some interesting things. It's closed at idle at a stop, then opens once you start moving and accelerating, and closes when you come to a stop at idle again. Also it closes when cruising at highway speeds (or at least I set burble speed limit to 50 mph). No idea if that's what MHD intended to do since there is no mention of this in their app or online. MHD's only exhaust setting is flap always open in sport mode, but that never worked on my X1. Maybe I need to try flap always open in sport and burbles enabled next time I flash.

So basically with MHD burbles on, flap opens around city speeds, and closes when cruising on the highway and at a stop at idle. My only wish is that it opened at idle.
      04-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
Duchess22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have MHD with burble settings on, the flap does some interesting things. It's closed at idle at a stop, then opens once you start moving and accelerating, and closes when you come to a stop at idle again. Also it closes when cruising at highway speeds (or at least I set burble speed limit to 50 mph). No idea if that's what MHD intended to do since there is no mention of this in their app or online. MHD's only exhaust setting is flap always open in sport mode, but that never worked on my X1. Maybe I need to try flap always open in sport and burbles enabled next time I flash.

So basically with MHD burbles on, flap opens around city speeds, and closes when cruising on the highway and at a stop at idle. My only wish is that it opened at idle.
I haven't been successful with getting any burbles on mine. I assumed it was due to the stock DP and exhaust.