XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
SeeRudy
Rep
Drives: e84 n55

Thumbs down My door handle caught on fire...CAS Fail

13 e84 n55

Little backstory: my convenience package stopped working on my driver door about 6 months ago. Everything else worked fine until...

I go to open my girlfriends door for her. ( you know being the gentleman I am, and having nothing to do with the convenience package only working on her door

)
The door doesn’t open and after I unlock with my key I notice on the driver door that there is a black sludge coming from my door handle. At first I think it’s a nasty neighbor putting oil on my handle but upon cleaning I can smell an electric fire.

Once I get in the car it won’t start with key in my pocket, only after I put it in the key rest.

Pulling fuse box and door handle tomorrow to check and will post more updates. Any info will help.

Update: well first things first I tried to get a video and I did get some pictures but the inside of my door handle was just a black mess of burnt electronics. The door handle looked like it was filled with grease, and my hands were in gloves that looked like a seagull in the BP OIL SPILL. Also it smelled like someone had a Burning Man of those old rc track cars. Needles to say I can’t swap out the internals so I cut the sensor off. Sealed and tapped the female connector to the inside of the door. Sealed the handle back up and put it back on. The CAS system blew a 5amp fuse that said it controlled locks (duh). I replaced the fuse and my push to start works again. Fuse hasn’t blown since I cut the wire and I think my only option at this point other than buying the whole assembly is a junk yard. It’s just the driver door so not my biggest concern at the moment. Still have an oil filter gasket to fix lmao.

Oh and lovely side note the tar bubbled out of my handle and was resting on top of the lock and I guess the high temps took the clear coat right off

it’s only the size of a quarter but it’s not like my black paint needs any more imperfections.