Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #1
MCFC_UK
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d xDrive Msport

New X1 owner - so many questions!

Hi all, I've just bought a 2011 X1 23d xDrive Msport and overall I'm loving it so far... for the past 10yrs I've owned lease cars so not been able to mod them - so looking forward to modding the X1! (pic below)

So i've run the VIN through an online decoder to find out what options the car has and I've got a few questions:

1. I've got the professional nav with 8" screen (CIC iDrive) and business phone prep with Bluetooth audio streaming (nice) but the car doesn't have a USB socket - just an aux input...? I've looked at the phone cradle in the armrest and under the blanking plate there is a gold BMW connector - I presume this is some type of BMW version of USB? SO... is there a lead available to convert the gold connector to USB? and if so would I get audio streaming as well as charging from it?

2. How do you turn off the rear parking sensors???? I don't mean all the time I just mean if I reverse the car into a parking bay and the wife jumps out to go to the shop the car just carries on bleeping - it's driving me nuts! Taking the car out of reverse doesn't stop them and the only solution seems to be turning the car off and on again?

3. The car has the Xenon headlights which are great but the yellow angel eyes look terrible - I think I can swap out the bulbs for H8 LED's but has anyone got any experience doing this? Some reviews online of the cheaper bulbs say they are not very bright or only light the inner halo's but I don't really want to spend £200+ on LUX bulbs lol

That's it for now - I know there are loads more I want to ask but I can't think at the minute...

Here's a pic of the car

Last edited by MCFC_UK; 06-18-2020 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC_UK View Post
1. I've got the professional nav with 8" screen (CIC iDrive) and business phone prep with Bluetooth audio streaming (nice) but the car doesn't have a USB socket - just an aux input...? I've looked at the phone cradle in the armrest and under the blanking plate there is a gold BMW connector - I presume this is some type of BMW version of USB? SO... is there a lead available to convert the gold connector to USB? and if so would I get audio streaming as well as charging from it?
BMW makes adaptors that are specific to different phones. So one has to buy one for their specific vehicle and phone. Buy as in $$$. BMW thought this would be a good idea but cars last longer than phones. Many never buy the adaptors and just take the cradle out. There is thread about doing that.

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1317250

In my case I found a used adapter for iPhones ripped out the electronics out of it and the electronics out of the cradle, mated them together and with some work stuffed them back into the center console while an Apple lightening cable coming out.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
MCFC_UK
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
BMW makes adaptors that are specific to different phones. So one has to buy one for their specific vehicle and phone. Buy as in $$$. BMW thought this would be a good idea but cars last longer than phones. Many never buy the adaptors and just take the cradle out. There is thread about doing that.

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1317250

In my case I found a used adapter for iPhones ripped out the electronics out of it and the electronics out of the cradle, mated them together and with some work stuffed them back into the center console while an Apple lightening cable coming out.
Thanks...

I did some digging on various forums and it seems there might be an easier way of doing this, from what I have read you can use a BMW dash USB socket (basically this https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/2267361219 but without the wires) and remove the USB from it - the green plug from the socket then fits a plug in the wiring harness in the armrest after you have removed the cradle stuff? You can then connect a lighting cable and run it into the armrest...

I might give it a try unless you know different?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not seen that before so two thoughts. First sounds as though it is nothing more than USB power so no connectivity except through the bluetooth. Second made in China so probably not very good quality. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 01:18 AM   #5
MCFC_UK
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
Not seen that before so two thoughts. First sounds as though it is nothing more than USB power so no connectivity except through the bluetooth. Second made in China so probably not very good quality. YMMV
I know what you mean about Chinese quality at times... the point is though that if the wiring in the e84 is the same as this https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1444631 then it's a straight forward retrofit? (you could even use a genuine BMW USB/AUX dash socket?)

The thread is from the F30 forum and the guy who did it got full USB including music streaming - are you saying the e84 armrest cradle wiring only supplies power? If it does then it's not a massive issue as I have bluetooth audio anyway but USB audio would be sweet
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My initial line of thinking is that given the cradles / adaptors have some electronics in them that when removed and replaced with just the connector you showed in your initial post that only the power would remain. What you are posting from the thread link shows differently.

If as you say the wiring is the same when it might just work. I guess the only to find out it pull the cover off and look at the plug and see if it matches. Or could one go with using the USB bits from the socket???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-USB-AUX...U/383586606501

If if works then certainly simpler than what I did. Though in the end I got the cradle adaptor for free. So my only cost was the cable.
Appreciate 0